Search results

1. Englishman

Orca's attacking boat sterns/rudders off Spain

Uh oh! Seems a new learned behaviour is being exhibited by Orcas off the Atlantic coast of Spain and Gibraltar. They are ramming sterns and taking out rudders and disabling the boats. Let's hope they don't learn that trick here! Check out the short video in this article as well...
  2. Englishman

Apparent absence of SRKW in JDF

Thread moved from Sooke fishing reports. There are two reasons given for fishery closures by DFO. 1) to preserve stocks 2) to create a quiet zone so whales can hunt undisturbed. Which one are you objecting to because you are muddling the two? The fact the whales are “missing” and therefore...
  3. Englishman

Puffer Fish Found - Jordan River BC

Puffer Fish found on the beach in Jordan River. First time ever recorded. Climate change likely driver of this event. https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/2019/10/27/poisonous-porcupine-fish-first-time-bc-canada/
  4. Englishman

BC Wild Salmon Strategy Community Meeting - Langford

Came across this today. Does not seem to have been well advertised. This meeting is next week (Jan 10th), but presumably there will be meetings in other communities in the coming weeks.
  5. Englishman

They're gonna industrialise Barclay Sound!

A group has submitted an application for a massive LNG plant in Sarita Bay in Barclay Sounds. Fracked gas, pipelines across BC, marine and land based terminals; the works on 730 hectares of land. You have only until 18th November (3 days) to get your comment in calling for a full Federal...
  6. Englishman

Evinrude E-Tec.....Riddle me this?

I have an 2007 Evinrude E-Tec 175 HP. About 6 months ago I had problems starting this engine. The ignition would always come on but sometimes the engine refused to fire. I eventually had the starter motor replaced. Today I got the same symptoms as I had 6 months ago, and had to come in on the...
  7. Englishman

Dr. Kristi Miller-Saunders' (an expert DFO fish scientist) recent estimony

Guys, Watershed Watch recently posted this video about Dr. Kristi Miller-Saunders' recent testimony to MP's about the salmon feed lot industry. Watershed Watch ask us to please share!
  8. Englishman

Watershed Watch Salmon Society - Petition

Guys, looks like momentum is really building to get salmon feed lots out of the ocean, especially on wild salmon migration passages. Here is a link to WaterShed Watch who themselves have now launched a new petition site...
  9. Englishman

Fed. Gov. petition to remove BC fish feed-lots sponsored by Finn Donnelly

Folks, There is another official Federal Govt Petition to remove fish feed lots (aka "farms") from BC Coastal waters, sponsored by Finn Donnelly (MP - Port Moody-Coquitlam). The full text I of the e-mail I got is below and includes the link to the petition...
  10. Englishman

2016 Sooke Reports

Well as the 2016 reports have all disappeared, I will follow the lead of others and begin a new thread. Took my brother-in-law from the U.K. out today. Fished 7:30am until 12:30pm from Harbour mouth, Bluffs all the way down to Otter point and back. Mostly trolling with the tide each way...
  11. Englishman

Braid vs Wire (from the Sooke reports thread)

From the Sooke reports thread…….. Uh-oh you have started something now “J” LOL:) My response is below. I ran braid on one side for about 8 months. Then I got two catastrophic failures on the same day, losing the ball and clip each time. The first break was close to the stop. The second one...
  12. Englishman

NEB hearings - First Nations testimony -Kinder Morgan pipeline thru Burnaby

This Monday (24th) the T’Souke First Nation presented their oral testimony to the NEB hearings at the Victoria Conference Centre. Other First Nations are presenting this week and the proceeding may be listened to live here:- http://www.meetview.com/neb2/ Transcripts are also available after...
  13. Englishman

Quite the whale encounter

This video of a humpback whale encounter seems to be hitting the news media and cyberspace. Looks cool...:cool: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/humpback-whale-s-hour-long-visit-with-b-c-boat-caught-on-camera-1.2736189
  14. Englishman

Sooke Salmon Enhancement Society Derby this week-end - STILL TICKETS LEFT!

The Sooke Salmon Enhancement Derby is happening this week-end and there are still tickets available. The money raised goes to a great cause. And there is a $5000 First Prize! Full details are here. http://www.sookesalmonenhancementsociety.com/2014%20DERBY%20POSTER.pdf Hope a few more folks...
  15. Englishman

I-Command readout and guages dead

I-Command readout and gauges dead Not been out for a month as been having huge electric problems. First the engine trim/lift behave intermittently. Would not go up only down. If you left if for a while it would sometimes work. Finally traced to the solenoid in my Evinrude Etec and replaced...
  16. Englishman

You can comment on the upcoming changes to the Fisheries Act

West Coast Environmental Law has a place to go to send a letter of comment to the authorities over the upcoming changes proposed to the Fisheries Act. We all know how bad these change are, removing protection for fish habitat and leaving everything up to "Ministerial discretion". Please write...
  17. Englishman

The impact of Harper's changes to the Fisheries Act on our fish.

Here is a short paper from West Coast Environmental Law on the impact to our fish of Harper’s draconian changes to the Fisheries Act. Please have a read and pass this on...
  18. Englishman

Moose populations falling across N. America

Moose are disappearing across N. America. Probably as another consequence of global warming.......... http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/15/science/earth/something-is-killing-off-the-moose.html?src=mv&_r=1&
  19. Englishman

Big Oar Fish

Very big Oar Fish found dead in California. Waay longer than my boat.....! http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/10/16/rare_oarfish_find/
  20. Englishman

Stand Up for Science - Rally

There is a "Stand Up for Science" rally in Vancouver on Sept 16th. Speakers include Alex Morton, Craig Orr (Watershed Watch Salmon Society), and Fin Donnelly among others. If you can attend it is a chance to show Harper and the Liberals that policies should be informed and guided by science and...
Back