Search results

1. Englishman

2023 Sooke Reports

Out from 8:00am until 12:30am today. Beauty sunny day with slight SE breeze making for a small chop. Only 13 boats visible to us out there, so quite the contrast to Sunday!! Anyway first 90 minutes were great and we were kept busy. Retained our two unclipped in fairly short order and proceed to...
  2. Englishman

2023 Sooke Reports

Beauty Fall day on the water. We counted at least 100 boats out there, all spread out between Beechy and Otter, and all at various depths with a few small “clusters”. Unfortunately it was the slowest early October day we have experienced. Lines in the water at 8:00am and we trolled back and...
  3. Englishman

2023 Sooke Reports

Well if it is a whoops on my part, I apologise. Sure fought like a chinook, did not jump, and the tongue was black, and the gums look greyish to me. But I bow to superior knowledge on here. What do I know??!
  4. Englishman

2023 Sooke Reports

Set out for the last summer trip today. BWD predicted low winds and it turned into a beautiful sunny flat calm morning. Trolled spoons again for the first two hours, with nothing to show but one released unclipped coho. Twice we went right by a large concentration of gulls and murres milling...
  5. Englishman

2023 Sooke Reports

Well out again after 6 days off, mainly due to the howling winds and rainstorms. I bit late but lines down at just after 7:30am. Not quite as many boats as I expected for 1st Sept. Decided once again not to run toMuir but adopted the same tactics as last Saturday. Gibbs spoon one side and AP...
  6. Englishman

2023 Sooke Reports

LOL Tony! 🤣 But 'twas not me. o_O We hooked just 3, but from the posts for the day I count 21 reported hooked between Tips and Kinetic alone, plus Mozart got into a few. 😀 Sounds like weed hell today, so glad we missed it....;)
  7. Englishman

2023 Sooke Reports

Low tide was 6:40am today so had to have coffee at home until 7:15am so there would be enough water to launch at Sunny Shores. Boat in the water at 7:40am but we grounded on the well-known Sunny Shores dockside “bump”. After 15 minutes my wife suggested one of us went onto the bow to try and...
  8. Englishman

2023 Sooke Reports

Launched at 7:00am today so a bit late. BWD said the wind was going to be good and it was flat out there then so we ran to Muir. A big mistake! Lines down with herring at 7:30am and immediately a double header of pinks. Gave that up and put on two spoons, one large and one AP herring spoon...
  9. Englishman

2023 Sooke Reports

Got out again after 5 days off the water. Life got in the way plus the howling gale yesterday, which we gave a big miss!! Joined the milling throng around the harbour mouth and Possession for a few hours but very little doing. Had t.h./herring one side and a big spoon the other. Couple of pinks...
  10. Englishman

2023 Sooke Reports

Down to Muir again with lines in around 7:15am. Did not bother with spoons this time and put t.h./herring down on both sides in case the chinook had not recovered their sanity from Mondays’ feeding frenzy. At first I thought they were still stir crazy, as in less than thirty minutes we had a...
  11. Englishman

2023 Sooke Reports

After a busy week-end looking after the little grandkids we got out again today. Despite the amazing morning we had at the harbour mouth on Thursday, in view of the calm conditions we decided we would head to Muir, our favourite location. Lines in at 7:00am with the “magic” Gibbs spoon on one...
  12. Englishman

2023 Sooke Reports

3rd time out and what an extraordinary morning! Started inauspiciously enough, as when we got to the launch at Sunny Shores there was insufficient water to launch. We had to wait almost an hour before we got out and dropped lines around 8:00am. There were a lot of boats in the harbour mouth so...
  13. Englishman

2023 Sooke Reports

Got out for the 2nd time this season and fished 7:00am till noon. Strange day weather wise with a mixture of heavy grey overcast, fog, wind early and again at noon but flat in between, and some sunshine. Sadly the fishing gods were not with us today. We forego running to Muir because of the...
  14. Englishman

2023 Sooke Reports

Fished today from 7:15am till 12:15pm. For a multiplicity of reasons we had not been out at all since October. With my advancing years, getting out of bed to go winter fishing don’t seem such fun anymore!! So today was a bit of a shakedown cruise to “clear the cobwebs” and try and get back...
  15. Englishman

2023 Sooke Reports

Yep, glad to leave the holy places to the fishing gods and their hundreds of adoring disciples. We are happy to spend our time in other places where we are sometimes successful and, should I hook one, I do not have to worry about being cut off by the surging crowds inhabiting the place of...
  16. Englishman

2022 Sooke Reports

We had to wait until 9:00am today to have enough water at the launch at Sunny Shores. Fished from 9:30am till 12:30pm, in 300-450’ of water off Possession and the Harbour mouth but much slower than Sunday. One hit there, one hit here, sorta’ thing. Boated a nice unclipped to start, then quite a...
  17. Englishman

2022 Sooke Reports

Lines in the water, one hootchie at 80’ and one at 50’, at 8:00am. About 8:15am got our first hit on the 80’ lure and boated a good 8lb unclipped. Half an hour later got a double header on both the deep and shallow lures, but only got one in which was a beauty 8lb hatchery fish. For the next...
  18. Englishman

2022 Sooke Reports

Fished from 7:45am till 2:00pm today. After an hour, out of nowhere, we got a double header at 50’ and the only half we brought in was a beauty 8lb hatchery fish. :)Fished on for the rest of the morning varying between 200’ and 500’ of water and got sporadic random single hits which had no...
  19. Englishman

2022 Sooke Reports

Lines in the water just after 7:30am and headed out from harbour into 450’ of water. Nothing for the first hour, so headed back in and got a hit in 200’ of water. Nice 6lb hatchery, so good start I thought.:) For the next 2 hours got sporadic but steady hits and brought about 9 fish to the...
  20. Englishman

2022 Sooke Reports

What was that someone said about the fishing gods pouring their scorn and derision on us regular lowly amateur fishers.......Oh yeah....right, well I guess I rest my case!!:D
Back