Search results

1. D

What type of salmon is this?

Thanks all. He said it was from Smithers River.
  2. D

What type of salmon is this?

A neighbour dropped this fish off at my house and said it was a sockeye, which I am 90% sure it isn’t. It looks like a pink or chum. Any ideas?
  3. D

Advice on re-lining reels

It’s time to re-line my reels for trolling and looking for advice. I have previously just gone with a 30lb monofilament line to a clip attached to the flasher and then 40lb leader to the spoon/hoochie. Now I am reading about fluorocarbon from Seaguar and thinking of going with their STS salmon...
  4. D

2020 Powell River Reports

I’ll be up in Lund for a week starting tomorrow. Anyone know of any good Lingcod holes around the area?
  5. D

Question on mounting transducer

Ok thanks. The boat is in the water now but I’ll pull it in a few days and take a picture of the position.
  6. D

So I tried the boat today with the new system installed. When I get above 10 MPH it loses the bottom snd there definitely is a good size rooster tail coming from the transducer. Does that mean it’s mounted too low?
  7. D

Ok thanks. It makes sense that the whole transducer needs to be in the water and therefore in my case the right side of mine might be lower than ideal so that the left side is slightly below the hull. I’ll give it a try and see what happens.
  8. D

I recently picked up a new Raymarine Axiom system and had a question on mounting the transducer. I know you’re supposed to just have the bottom of the transducer below the hull by about an 1/8 to 1/4 inch to get clean water but since my transom is angled quite a bit, when looking the back of...
  9. D

Change oil or not?

i am about to winterized my inboard motor and wanted an opinion on whether or not to change the engine and leg oil this year. Normally I always change the oil when winterizing but this year I only used the boat for about 20 hours and wondered if I don’t need to change the oil. Thoughts?
  10. D

Looking to upgrade my fish finder, any recos?

I have an old Lowrance Elite 5 on my boat and the transducer is starting to go. Plus, I’d like something a little more mordern with a larger screen. I am looking at the Raymarine Axiom 9 setup with the 3D mapping. Anyone every used it? I have heard from one person the 3D sonor is a bit sketchy...
  11. D

2019 Powell River Reports

Fished Mace Point and in front of Lund harbour the last couple of days. Lots of coho, mostly wild. Ended up two mid-teen Springs (Lund harbour) and a hatch coho (Mace). Also saw a mid-teen Spring shooting out from under a patch of seaweed on the surface as we trolled by.
  12. D

Have been fishing off Mace Point and the Iron Mines all week and it has been incredible. We must have landed over 30 fish (kept 6) and lost twice as many. A few shakers here and there, but most in the 8 to 15 pound range, with a handful of 18 to 20 pounders (all released). Never seen fishing...
  13. D

Does anyone know if there are any restrictions on bottom fish like snapper and ling in Area 15, besides the restricted areas? I heard a rumour you can’t catch snapper...
  14. D

Minister isn't doing enough, quickly enough, to protect Chinook salmon

https://vancouversun.com/news/national/another-adult-southern-resident-killer-whale-calf-found-in-poor-health/wcm/a89f3bc7-aedb-4b3b-8bd6-ee7d0bcb6d48 Regardless of all the political or FN netting issues, this is why conservation right now is so critical. I for one am glad to give up fishing to...
  15. D

Not looking good!

Worth a read: https://davidsuzuki.org/story/human-behaviour-is-at-the-root-of-orca-plight/ Culling seals could create a temporary bump in salmon stock but to make an meaningful impact you would need to cull 50% of the species and maintain those levels for years, if not decades. That of...
  16. D

Mixing bottom paint types advice

Ok thanks for your help. I’ll suggest to my buddy he goes with a hard paint like xxx.
  17. D

Ok thanks. According to the manufactures website, they say Cukote is semi-hard. So what does that mean...
  18. D

Since the Sea Hawk is ablative, would that be considered soft paint?
  19. D

My buddy is looking to repaint the bottom paint on a boat he bought in the US. The issue is the paint is from Sea Hawk called Cukote ablative and it’s only available in the States. I have heard it’s bad to mix types of bottom paints but does anyone know a brand/type we can get here that will be...
  20. D

2018 Powell River Reports

Between 300 and 325 seems to work the best for me.
Back