Search results

1. B

2023 Fish Northwest Hali Derby

FYI to our SFBC friends to the north! The 3rd annual Fish Northwest Halibut Derby will be held on May 5-6 out of Friday Harbor and Anacortes, WA. We warmly invite our fellow SFBC members to visit us down south for some fun on the water and a chance to win some serious dough! Tickets are on...
  2. B

Going through Scotty stop beads

I decided to switch from braid to 180# Scotty wire on my 2106’s this season as an experiment. So far so good other than the yellow stop beads tend to break or bend off and need to be replaced frequently. they seem to break off when going through the pulley if the pulley is not aligned...
  3. B

Storing a trailer outside

My EZ Loader double axle trailer with disc breaks and oil bath hubs is getting kicked out of the garage and parked somewhere on grass or gravel while the boat is in a slip for the summer (now thru sept). I need to do whatever I can to lessen the impact of the elements — particularly moisture...
  4. B

Landing net recommendations?

It’s time to replace my salmon landing net on my sport boat. I’d like to buy one that does the least amount of damage to scales and slime. I’d like to hear what brands/materials the guides on this forum recommend. I’ve shopped around locally but the materials in all the knotless nets seems...
  5. B

Honda 2019 BF200-250 - anyone bought one?

Honda refreshed their 200-250hp motors in 2018 Q4. I’m likely going to repower my 2008 200 Honda with the 225 model in the coming weeks. Was curious if anyone has done the same and has feedback on the new IST “drive by wire” controls or any other feedback on power/efficiency improvements. It...
  6. B

WA Orca task force recommends 3-5-year commercial whale watching ban

Orca task force recommends 3-5-year commercial whale watching ban https://www.king5.com/mobile/article/tech/science/environment/orca-task-force-recommends-3-5-year-commercial-whale-watching-ban/281-611873318 (Via KING 5)
  7. B

Preventing braid backlash on a Scotty

I'm trying to come up with a way to keep my 2106's from occasionally reverse-wrapping the braid around the shaft below the spool. This happens ~1 in 20 times when touching bottom too quickly. Anyone come up with a mod to their Scotty to fix this? I'm playing around with a sheet of 1/16"...
  8. B

Fraser sockeye predictions?

has anyone seen any early estimates on the run size this year and whether we'll get a sport fishery? I'm not finding anything via searching online.
  9. B

Tips for minimizing algae/barnacles over summer?

Does anyone have any good suggestions for how to minimize algae and barnacles on an aluminum boat that will be moored over the summer? Each year my boat sits in a slip from mid June to early September. When I pull it it has 8-10" of algae and several barnacles. I hit it with a stiff broom...
  10. B

Fishing after orca move through

Anyone have experience finding fish once the whales move through? Curious to hear stories around what it took to get on the fish again. i typically move a mile or two away or go out deeper, but never really had any success after that. Whales have been spread out lately so it's hard to find a...
  11. B

Possession of fish from multiple areas

I'm trying to find a DFO page that mentions the rules regarding fishing in one area while retaining fish caught from another. Specifically, I'm trying to understand the legality of having a ling on board I caught in 18-1 while fishing for salmon in 29-4 (where ling cannot be retained). Am I...
  12. B

Confused by the regs

Hi, I plan to fish for chinook in the Gulf Islands in late May and also in August. I'm studying the regs online and am confused as to whether I'll be able to fish in August based on the following openings/closures map...
Back