Search results

1. C

White River Sayward

This fishery is closed from November 1 until April 30 above Sayward rd. The road crosses the river 3 times so in classic bc fishing synopsis fashion its extra confusing.
  2. C

Anyone missing a grady?

I once watched a brand new float home moored to a dock in a manner that even myself a layman in moorage knew was stupid and low and behold a few months later the windstorm of 2018 took it for a ride through the fueling dock and across the bay.
  3. C

Cowichan Coho

Thank you for that welcome update derby here is the notice it is a bit complex with the boundaries changing on the 16th. https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=292005&ID=all
  4. C

Cowichan Coho

The river has had an in season closure since the summer in the freshwater regulations due to low water originally was the claim, I expected it to be rescinded when the wet weather started like in the past but alas it still remains. Historically there would be a in season opening for salmon...
  5. C

Fly fishing- getting started

Books and video are good its never been a better time with the advent of youtube but my simple recommendation is save some money for a fishing guide on the water you are most likely to call home you wont be able to get that sort of experience any other way and it really goes a long way for your...
  6. C

Island rivers 2023

It can be hit or miss with salmon once they are in the river, they can be locked up and a window can open for a short period of time that they are biting. As mentioned before first and last light are triggers (maybe the salmon you saw was caught as the sun came up) I would also say...
  7. C

Looking for firewood vendor recs - btwn Nanaimo & Duncan

I bought wood from this guy honest dude.
  8. C

Carp on Vancouver Island

When you see a school of carp stacked up look for the lone soldiers by themselfs around the group they are most likely to bite usually they have there nose on the bottom feeding, a woolly bugger is a really good fly to use for them.
  9. C

Building Permits.

I got a story when my wife and I decided to buy a house in the fall of 2014 we had a budget of 400k max and we were hoping to keep it between 300-350(North Cowichan) at the time there were many properties in this price range. The first weekend we were to view houses 3 out of 3 had accepted...
  10. C

Cowichan River

Thanks for the heads up. For anyone wondering it’s just above 3 firs you should be able to see it from a reasonable distance, always stay safe.
  11. C

Cowichan River

I was down there the other day last week and it was locked I meant to ask about it on here something is up do you need to acquire a key now?
  12. C

Property Assessments

680k-890k. Bought the house in 2015 for 360k. Insanity.
  13. C

Cowichan River

Last few years it’s not uncommon for the lower launch gate by the river at vimy to be locked I just make an assumption it’s because of high water.
  14. C

Security Camera’s

I have Arlo system and they have been perfect the last 5 years they back up 7 days worth of video for no charge. Very easy to add another camera or move them I can’t say enough good things about them. I get a text alert if someone trips whatever sensor I have it set up as motion audio or both...
  15. C

Cowichan River

Fish were able to access the river early at least at the end of September. There was lots of fish present before the water came up 10 days ago and the chum were starting to stack but since there has been very little visible activity but below stoltz the river is grey so it’s pretty hard to see...
  16. C

Cowichan River

Very few spots are fishable hopefully it comes down over the next few weeks. Fish are about though.
  17. C

Coho river season

Fishery Notice Category(s): RECREATIONAL - Salmon Subject: FN1120-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - Region 1 - Cowichan River - Angling Opportunities - Effective Immediately As a result of above average returns of Cowichan Chinook, and average to above average expectations for Cowichan Coho, below...
  18. C

Nymphing Fly Fishing Only Rivers

The two options are heavy sink tips or sparse heavy singe flies that are essentially mini jigs. Unfortunately bc is in the Stone Age in so many regards when it comes to angling in most other parts of the world you would stack 2 or 3 flies with the bottom being an anchor or especially heavy...
  19. C

Nitinat river

I almost forgot DB thanks for making this point someone new to the fishery should know there is a lot of bears. This year was no different then in the past infact they appear as bold as ever. I have seen one crazy interaction between a group fishermen and a bear a few years ago that gave me...
  20. C

Nitinat river

Coho won’t open for retention until the 16 of the month. August 25 until the end of September it can be busy for springs they mostly stack up in a few spots because the water is often low. Sometimes people share the water sometimes they don’t often the latter at nitinat. When the coho are...
Back