Search results

1. zfish

2023 Sooke Reports

😄
  2. zfish

2023 Sooke Reports

Finally no wind. Got out to my favorite spot, in the kayak, for opening day Tuesday. I was out on Monday as well, paddled for 5 hours sunrise to current change, and couldn't stop catching small fish. Kept a hatch coho and a small pink. Ebb current, didn't wander too far from shore. No big...
  3. zfish

2022 Sooke Reports

I was there two weeks ago but fishing was slow. Try agian thurs fri.
  4. zfish

2022 Sooke Reports

To get an idea of what the water is doing, you must check the current table for race rocks. Also, backeddies create counterintuitive currents at beachy head, in beecher bay and in orveas bay and other locations.
  5. zfish

2021 Sooke Reports

Update, for those of you who like to prognosticate the natal river from whence the fish came. It was an orange fleshed darkening football, nicely spotted. I say local fish of Nitinat stock. Wild.
  6. zfish

2021 Sooke Reports

I have a blue composite touring kayak, the one in my avatar pic, and I fish at that spot but not last thursday.
  7. zfish

2021 Sooke Reports

Possibly the last kayak fishing of the season, woke up dark and early, checked the weather and reports, despite Roy's report which almost had me roll over and snooze, the glassy conditions motivated me. Got on the water at the g spot around 7: 30. Perfect kayak fishing conditions, gentle flood...
  8. zfish

2021 Sooke Reports

Otter was not very productive yesterday. I trooched around from about 7 am to 3 ish as I wanted a fish for a family event. Super slow all morning. Got a coho at the point after the flood started. Wonder how today went....
  9. zfish

2021 Sooke Reports

There are a couple of public accesses along the beach, watch out for swell! Can't launch at Muir creek right now, construction. I use the access next brown house.
  10. zfish

2021 Sooke Reports

On the water at about sunrise, working the shore at Gordons beach. Bit of a bite at early slack current, but slow after that. Saw fish caught here n there thru the morning. Finally after several hours of slow paddling I got a non sticker at second rock, so I focused in on just working the areas...
  11. zfish

Boats on Used Victoria and Other Areas

Hey, that is me and my cousin in that pic. what a great place to fish that was, Englefield bay, best fishing ever. Judging by that back line, I think we are managing a double header in the chop. And ya those boats were the bomb, but small dance floor.
  12. zfish

Is the price, $54,900 reasonable for that boat?
  13. zfish

2021 Sooke Reports

Stizzla'ed! Happened to me just like that with a teener off camper creek lots of years ago. Lost it right off my lap. Live and learn, so now I only land larger salmon by gilling them. Z.
  14. zfish

I went and looked at the Arima and gave a review on it a bit back in the thread. Rides crooked and no functional trim tabs. Unkown hours on engine, kicker not integrated into fuel system, unknown if the riggers work or not.
  15. zfish

I looked at it, doesn't inspire confidence. rides crooked, no trim tabs sits in the water all summer and motors aren't flushed after use in salt water (I think that's important no?), old crappy kicker that may or may not work and isn't tied into the main fuel tank pull start, fuel tank...
  16. zfish

Kayak launches near good fishing

Laffs, definately don't go to otter point or gordons with a sit on top, too crowded and dangerous and you might find that a surf launch is necessary. Excellent ocean kayaking skills are required.
  17. zfish

Kayak Fishing

I have been kayak fishing for a long time (20 plus years) in my necky arluk III, an ocean touring kayak. I fish a mooching style with various setups. Flasher, anchovy 1 lb slip weight 33 pulls which I think gets me down to about 40- 60 feet on the drop. Often when touring I'll use, 2-12 oz...
  18. zfish

Cutplug or teasers head.

When I kayak fish and tour in clayoquot sound, I like to use bait for as long as it stays fresh. After that I use a coyote watermelon spoon, much like the pictured apex above. Caught both springs and coho on that spoon. It's the same colours without the spots. At Otter point recently, I've been...
  19. zfish

2020 Sooke Reports

Release alive by extracting the hook with pliers or a gaff, depends on location of hooking; no pink ladies here. Laffs.
Back