Search results

1. saanauk

Shimano Moocher reel old vs new

Probably sound like I am beating a dead horse as I post it all the time but carbon fiber drag washers from Smoothdrag are a game changer for the shimano reels.
  2. saanauk

Everyday post a photo of a reel you own.

The Longstone collection from various years. Some are new old stock with the boxes. A couple are lightly fished and the rest pretty heavily fished.
  3. saanauk

Seasport 22 inboard to out board

Yeah that is the hang up I am having on installing one. It doesn’t take much diesel to really stink up an area.
  4. saanauk

Seasport 22 inboard to out board

Where is your heater installed at and also where is the tank? I would love to put a diesel heater in my 24’ Sea Sport but just not to excited about having any diesel drip/leak in my boat cabin.
  5. saanauk

Everyday post a photo of a reel you own.

Can also try smooth drag. Send your original in and they can match them for you.
  6. saanauk

Is trailering a boat from the north side of Victoria to Port Hardy and motoring to Rivers Inlet in one day realistic

We have been making the trip almost every year since 2009. Missed a summer when the border was closed due to Covid. Since we live across the border in Bellingham we try to catch the first or second ferry over to the Island. Then we drive up to Hardy which typically takes us five hours towing...
  7. saanauk

If I don't want to pay the price for an Islander..... what would you buy?

Night and day difference. Check out Smoothdrag and the carbon washers should be less than $10 USD. I worked with them a bit on the older vs newer Shimano moochers to get the sizing correct.
  8. saanauk

If I don't want to pay the price for an Islander..... what would you buy?

The shimano reels really benefit from the Carbon X drag washers that are very inexpensive.
  9. saanauk

Best type of gaff for bottom fishing?

I am a fan of the stainless hay hook style of gaff. They are inexpensive so if one accidentally gets dropped over it is not the end of the world. Have wrestled quite a few big Ak halibut in the boat with them. You do need to be carefully with the swing because if you miss the tip likes to dig...
  10. saanauk

26 x 9.5 northwest aluminum craft Build

Out of curiosity what is the reason for the valves on the fuel line connections? What brand are they as I could use a couple for making winterization easier on my boat.
  11. saanauk

26 x 9.5 northwest aluminum craft Build

The metal rods to mount the wiring to are a great idea!
  12. saanauk

Islander MR-3 or TR-3?

Have you looked at the Coast reels? I got one that I used last year at Rivers Inlet mooching and also used while downrigger fishing further up north. I was very happy with the performance of the reel.
  13. saanauk

Zebellos August 2024, What can you tell me about it?

No I would say about half of it is paved now.
  14. saanauk

Yamaha Timing Belt Replacement?

Believe Yamaha went away from the 1000 hour replacement guideline. Think it is just to inspect and keep an eye on it for wear. Even with that I had my 2006 Yamaha 250 timing belt replaced in 2021 just for a piece of mind. Figured a 15 year run on the original timing belt was decent.
  15. saanauk

Polishing old commercial salmon spoons

Looks like you can still buy it. https://www.englundmarine.com/products/hydrotone-hook-spoon-cleaner-8oz%7CKOL-HYDROTONE.html
  16. saanauk

Trolling Reels - Anything New?

Just spent a week long trip fishing the Coast DR 1.0 reel. Fished it with mainly with cut plug herring on the Downriggers and also motor mooching. Caught a handful of fish with it up to 34#’s. I absolutely love the reel! Very smooth and fast retrieve with the larger arbor than the MR3...
  17. saanauk

2023 Central Coast Reports

Yeah you never know up there so always give plenty of room. Have had to cut my leaders many of times and have had other people have to cut theirs when tied into a big fish. Just part of the fishery there. I have the 24’ XL so short cabin long deck. It was a tight fit for three of us. Normally...
  18. saanauk

Well finally have a few free moments to write a post. We headed up to Port Hardy on the 3rd. Plan was to cross the morning of the 4th to Rivers Inlet. We got to Hardy earlier than expected and the water was flat calm. I started to prepped for an evening run over but then I got a call from my...
  19. saanauk

Hey were you the C-Dory we chatted with? Had a guy sitting in a chair on the bow? We were the 24’ Seasport “Saanauk”
  20. saanauk

Like your style rolling with a full tote!
Back