Search results

1. Matsutake

Good deal? Or not….

Just want to throw this out… Have an opportunity to pick up a Trevala TVC 60h2 jigging rod and a shimano Torium 30 hg. Asking is $330 total. Good shape, torium is fully spooled w/100lb braid. Opinions? Thanks guys!
  2. Matsutake

Navionics: Helix 5 version vs phone app

Anyone have the same issue?…. Phone version has waaay better contouring detail than the version in my Helix 5 w/Navionics chip. Is there anything to do about it or c’est la vie? Thanks!
  3. Matsutake

Coal harbour to Winter harbour

Looking to avoid driving the road out. Wondering about running my 16ft tinny from Coal harbour to Winter harbour. I move along at about 30 km/hr. So, morning is best? Any times to avoid? Any thoughts are much appreciated.
  4. Matsutake

Braid # for spinning reel set up

Hey guys, bringing the lady out to Bamfield this summer, first time West coast experience for her. She's familiar with basic spinning gear for bass and walleye so I thought I'd set up a large capacity spinning rig for her to use early on. Question is...what pound test to use and should I use a...
  5. Matsutake

Van for boat launching

Hey guys, Thinking of getting a van for camping/fishing trips etc. I own a 16 ft bares bones aluminum boat. Would I have much trouble launching/loading with a van? In general. I know tides and ramp conditions play a big part. Any thoughts are much appreciated.
  6. Matsutake

Solo, how do you fight your fish?

So I mention in the 'boats, motors, trailers' section I am looking to upgrade form my leaky riveted 16 ft boat to something a bit sturdier. I do a ton of my fishing solo and I really like fishing in a tiller boat for ease of control when you have a fish on. I previously had a 18.5 double eagle...
  7. Matsutake

Fibreglass vs welded aluminum

Looking to upgrade from my 16 ft riveted aluminum and it's leaky hull. Old boat, what are ya gonna do. I see a ton of used fibreglass boats in the 16-18 ft range a good price points vs the high cost and rare welded aluminum. I know there are a ton of variables out there but here are a few of my...
  8. Matsutake

Prawning

Pretty new to it so I'll ask a basic question...what is the ideal bottom type for these critters? Rock, gravel, mud etc. Thanks a ton for any insight guys!
  9. Matsutake

Ideas for a 16ft welded?

Hey there, I've had my 16 ft Naden tinny for a while now and I'm thinking of upgrading to a welded in the same length. I'd also like a bit more freeboard with the new boat. I recently saw a solid looking Silver Streak that looked to fit the bill. Does anyone have thoughts on this or any other...
  10. Matsutake

Wired up teasers

any preferred bait head to use with wires? I have a few Rhys Davies done up and thought I'd ask about any other brands etc. Thanks
  11. Matsutake

Any use for broken rods...

broke a few and have either the top half or bottom half left perfectly fine. Hate to throw out good materials, like good cork handles etc. Anyone have suggestions? What would you do with em? Thanks!
  12. Matsutake

Snorkelling?

Anyone ever do any snorkelling on the west coast of Van Isl? Just curious about splashing about in the Broken Group this August and looking for any pointers on wetsuits. Also any other places of interest. Thanks for any feedback!
  13. Matsutake

Fair harbour to Kyuquot

anyone have an idea on how long a run it is from Fair harbour to Kyuquot/Walters isl? Boat hits around 25 kts. Thanks a ton!
  14. Matsutake

Worth checking out Kyuquot?

I have a 16 ft Lund type tinny. Usually fish out of Poett Nook or Bam. Wondering if there was any reasonable opportunities for my boat size to enjoy a few days out of Walters area. Going in August so I know there is a good chance of non retention inside the sound. Any thoughts would be much...
  15. Matsutake

marine park camping

Anyone have thoughts on provincial marine parks and camping. Looking to do some overnights and beach up at a site. Maybe Nootka (Bligh island) or...? I know it's all roughing it but has anyone done this and what was the experience? Thanks ton!
  16. Matsutake

Pedder Bay Area prawnig?

Hey guys, Heading to pedder bay/ sooke for a few days of fishy fishy fishy. Don't know anything about prawns in the area. Anything out there? Ideas, thoughts? Thanks a ton!
  17. Matsutake

Motoring/camping in Broken Group Isles.

Was told recently motor boat camping was illegal in the Broken Group. I was under the impression that so long as you camped at the specified camp spots you were good to go. Anyone know anything on this? Thanks!
  18. Matsutake

Mid March on Van Isle?

Hey there guys, Going to be fishing for a week in mid March on the Island. Where would one go to get into some decent winter springs or hali's at that time. Options are the Campbell river area, Pedder Bay/Sooke areas or maybe out of Bamfield. What are your thoughts guys? Any thoughts and...
  19. Matsutake

Chilko/Anahim area late August

Hey guys, Any thoughts on the fishing up in the Anahim Lake/Chilko lake area during the last week of August? A bunch of us will be out camping and fishing but have never experienced it. We'll be ready for anything....fly gear, spinning gear, drift fishing gear and we have have a boat to get out...
  20. Matsutake

Battery power for Scotty downriggers

Question for you all..... I have a 25 Merc Bigfoot on a 16 ft aluminum boat. It does not have an alternator. I would like to run my scotty electrics in the boat so I'm planning on buying a deep cycle battery to run it on. So, would a 750 amp , 115 amp hr battery last a good day out on the...
Back