Search results

1. ryanb

Yamaha 150 or Mercury 150

Yamaha 150 can be had with digital controls, whereas Mercury can not, if it matters to you.
  2. ryanb

Merc Verado V8s

I have the VV403, and it has buttons, no touchscreen nonsense. Functionality is the same as the larger touchscreen Merc displays in terms of engine management, but you don't have the option of using it as a sounder/plotter. It will send all your engine data over NMEA to you plotter, and if...
  3. ryanb

simrad networking question.

Go9 doesn't network with other simrad plotters. You can get your nmea data on the network ,but the go9 won't receive charts and waypoints and sonar data from your Evo.
  4. ryanb

Coop marked gas with ethanol.

Vanisle marina still had E0 last time I was there. I also bought the ethanol tester to be sure, and it is indeed 0 ethanol. No point paying the premium for marked premium from the Co-op if it has ethanol in it, unless your engine needs the higher octane. Might as well just run regular.
  5. ryanb

2024 Sidney Reports

It's been a quiet winter on this thread and I think I know why. I've been out 3 times since the new year and zero keepers. Seems to be tons of 3-4 pounders around but nothing of size. Anyone catching?
  6. ryanb

Adding a Power Socket / Port Plug

I have that NOCO charger plug extender on my boat, and had the same one on my previous boat. Works great, and no corrosion issues. Just don't forget to put the rubber plug back in when you're done with it.
  7. ryanb

Mixed messages on ethanol in marina fuel ?

Marinas are currently exempt from the clean fuel regs. I have bought an ethanol testing bottle to confirm the absence of ethanol for my boat, and my airplane that cannot have any ethanol contaminated fuel (avgas is of course ethanol free, but marked non ethanol is acceptable as well). I...
  8. ryanb

Reusing BC boat license numbers

Doesn't it only need to be licensed if it has 10hp or more?
  9. ryanb

Toroidal propellers: gas burn reduction potential?

Ecos dropped my fuel burn by 10%+, they work, and well.
  10. ryanb

CTOW Victoria reviews

Generally most marine insurance policies covers emergency towing with no deductible. Better $500 emergency tow than way more than that on a sunken/wrecked right-off.
  11. ryanb

New mercs lifespan

How long they last depends on three things in my opinion. How often do they get used, how hard do they have to work when they get used, and how well they are maintained. The highest hour outboard motors are usually used every day by a commercial operator and well maintained.
  12. ryanb

2023 Tuna Adventures

I know there were quite a few boats out from Ukee/Bam/Tofino yesterday. Any reports? Still trying to make it happen for tomorrow.
  13. ryanb

2023 Tuna Adventures

I'm hoping to make a run on Friday out of Ukee. Might be able to make tomorrow work.
  14. ryanb

Best EVA foam deck covering for DIY

I'm pretty sure most of the Amazon Eva's come from the same factory. I used permatex spray adhesive on mine and it's still good after 3 years...the adhesive they come with won't hold up in the marine environment. You can buy a 45 degree eva foam cutter on amazon for a nice beveled edge...
  15. ryanb

New Salish 33' Liquid Metal Custom Build

She's a beauty! Big congrats!
  16. ryanb

Getting our Compass Swung

Can't remember the last time I used the compass on the boat, if ever, lol.
  17. ryanb

MercMonitor SmartCraft question(s)

He's wrong, the digital sender must be added afterwards to the 90/115. They come with an analog sender from the factory. Not that much $ for the sender, it's solid state (non mechanical), unlike the Yamaha ones that are mechanical and crap out after a couple years.
  18. ryanb

MercMonitor SmartCraft question(s)

The trim issue is that the engine comes stock with an analog trim sender on the motor. If you have a digital gauge you need to replace the physical trim sender on the engine with a digital sender. They aren't overly expensive, don't remember exactly how much but remember thinking it was worth...
  19. ryanb

Engine issue

I had the same problem with one of my mains. I found and fixed a small leak in the fuel line at the filter housing and I figure it was somehow sucking air, I also ran injector cleaner through the engine at high concentration at the same time. Not sure which fix fixed the problem, but hasn't...
  20. ryanb

Weird prop experience

Maybe you had a bit of wood stuck into the prop and didn't realize that's what you were looking at on the water.
Back