Search results

1. Tugcapitan

Best filleting knife sharpener?

Ordered a couple of knives from mikejonesknifeandtool and didn’t want them going through my chefs choice. Got a two sided diamond stone from him to sharpen them. Will admit there was a bit of a learning curve, and I’m probably still not that great at it compared to pros, but I like the challenge...
  2. Tugcapitan

What do you use for current tables?

https://www.tides.gc.ca/en/current-predictions-station
  3. Tugcapitan

2022 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Man that’s an awesome fish! We had a couple of big bites at first light Sandheads, boated one, straightened a hook on the other, ouch Scratchy the rest of the day, bite here bite there, and softer bites that didn’t all stick. All on bait 40-70, didn’t try for sox. Really fun day with a bunch...
  4. Tugcapitan

No Anchovies in 2022 Again?

I’ve never seen so many anchovies in the gulf islands. Had the kids fishing off the dock in Long Harbour trying for shiners last week and they were catching anchovies one after the other out of schools of thousands!
  5. Tugcapitan

Electronics Questions: hooking up new Airmar 175 to old Lowrance LC-X110 and Do you use your auto-pilot with chart plotter or just use it for headings

I wouldn’t try and have an autopilot make course changes myself, and don’t know any pros who would, especially while fishing. It just can’t take into account wind, current, debris, traffic etc and would probably put a downrigger cable into the prop on the first day.
  6. Tugcapitan

Lets see some of your tomics

The back end of the brown one sticking up at the back of the box looks kind of like a custom one we had done in 1999’ to try and match the peanut butter hootchie….
  7. Tugcapitan

Lets see some of your tomics

I had a couple bites on this one
  8. Tugcapitan

Downrigger help for newbie.

And this
  9. Tugcapitan

23' Hourston Prop

I’m no outboard expert, but for most other boats prop fitting is an art. Weight of the boat, power of the engine, ratio of the gear, and then the wizard calculates his magic based on desired performance characteristics. Pitch is important, but so is cupping and the materials used. If it were...
  10. Tugcapitan

Appropriate rod to match retro reel?

I have an old yellow lamiglass in great condition. What a noodle it is! Not sure I want to give it up but if you really can’t find anything else….
  11. Tugcapitan

2021 Gulf Island Reports

Jigged around Collinson for a bit with the kids. Lots of small pinks, fun for them but not what I was hoping for! Let them all go.
  12. Tugcapitan

2021 Gulf Island Reports

Lots of teeny tiny chinook and a few teeny tiny coho near Georgina. One barely legal chinook, two were close, the rest WAY under.
  13. Tugcapitan

Windy.com versus Windy.app

If you are looking for Thursday’s forecast on a Tuesday……. It’s not an exact science. Environment Canada is as good as anyone for a couple days out, but let’s be honest, no one really knows.
  14. Tugcapitan

How much does this fish weigh?! A quick guide to guessing.

Totally agree. Never saw a fish fudged to 30 from 29.5. Saw a lodge manager try once for some bigwig who wanted the pin, but was immediately shut down by the guides. It goes against the code and everything we stood for. Personally I no longer care how much they weigh, feels like those days are...
  15. Tugcapitan

Scotty hp counter issue

Good idea. @bonchovy charter boat has small hole-saw cuts on his HP covers to see the analog counters he has mounted underneath. The digital counters were still functional, and interestingly enough the deeper we went the more the digital and analog were out of sync. I was surprised he didn’t...
  16. Tugcapitan

Prawning stories...etiquette?

What a joke. Someone’s wearing big red shoes and I don’t think it’s the commercial guys….
  17. Tugcapitan

Full Tanker in Active Pass

Once again, The Tyee with the straight facts. lol
  18. Tugcapitan

GPS coordinates

Pretty sure you mean you would use degree decimal minutes instead of degrees minutes and seconds? If so I agree I’ve never heard anyone out in the PNW use decimal degrees. Not that it wouldn’t work, it’s just not common practice here.
Back