Search results

1. G

Downrigger fire

Not sure if this is the right sub-forum for this, so if the mods want to move it, please do. Anyway I had my boat parked in my driveway while I was cleaning my fish yesterday. Before I got back to my boat, my neighbor (thank goodness) knocked on the door to tell me there was a fire on the...
  2. G

What's with the clipped coho?

Surely something has changed. Coho seem to have gone from about 90% unclipped to a fairly even split in the Strait of Georgia in one year. Did our hatcheries actually start clipping the fish?
  3. G

Scotty receptacle terminal screws don't seem to tighten down well

Hi All, As per the title, I've now installed my 2nd new receptacle for my Scotty Downriggers and the terminal screws seem to leave the wire pretty loose. The amount of force needed to pull the wire out is minimal and I'm thinking over time just bouncing around on my boat will pull them out...
  4. G

Scotty rod holders

So after 12 years the rod holder that was on my rigger got brittle and gave out, so I bought a Scotty rigger. Problem is, it's loosy goosy where you should be able to jam it in tight. I'm not sure I want to use it and risk the rod going over the side. Ideas? Gorilla glue? Cotter pin? Thanks...
  5. G

Live Bait regs

A while ago there was a discussion on one of the fishing reports threads regarding what fish could be used as live bait for lings. The only thing that somebody could point to in the regs was a line that you couldn't "waste any fish that could be used for human consumption". That's very vague...
  6. G

Hydronic steering

Hi all, My hydrolic steering is starting to get loose. Anybody have any idea if this is a do it yourself job or what could be going? Thanks.
  7. G

Cleaning spoons

My old reliable spoons are starting to look more shabby than shiny. I've resisted the temptation to use any chemicals on them as I don't want to put a scent on there. Anyone used a metal polish on spoons and still caught fish afterwards? If so which one?
  8. G

New reel bleeding line.

I've just bought a new reel that slowly lets out line unless the drag is cranked right up. My old ones I generally set so that they are roughly the same in the rigger as I like for fighting the fish. If I get a big one that runs right away it's probably going to break something before I can...
  9. G

Anchovies, stingers or not?

After another night of losing more fish than I boated using anchovies I'm thinking about tying up some with stingers again. I think I tend to get fewer strikes when I add stingers though. Thoughts?
  10. G

Smaller scale charts?

Does anyone know of smaller scale charts than the govt. ones that would show the banks off Bamfield in more detail? Thanks in advance.
Back