Search results

1. Fisherman Rob

Heat Pump Questions

We agonized over replacing our forced air electric with a heatpump vs high efficient gas a few years back. Our house is 1963 so not very efficient compared to new construction. We ended up going natural gas because the costs of the heat pump was going to be too much, about $16k for a mid-range...
  2. Fisherman Rob

Info request on double eagle

Yup, same except I was entering Porlier Pass into a full flood, with a strong northwesterly blowing down the straight. Tide rip against wind stacked the waves tight and steep together.
  3. Fisherman Rob

Profisher I had that exact thing happen to me shortly after I got the boat. Only has happened once, and I think it was becuase I dropped the revs too much. Since then if I am in similar conditions I trim the motor up and keep enough power on to keep the bow up without slamming. But yes we got...
  4. Fisherman Rob

The longer sliding windows are on older double eagles, not sure exactly the change happened, but somewhere around 1990. I have a DE 176 from 1996. That year they further modified the topsides by raising the windshield by about 6", and redesigned the fiberglass floor and fuel tanks. The higher...
  5. Fisherman Rob

Favourite/Best Fillet Knife

What do you use to scale salmon? My dad used to make a scaler out of old beer bottle caps. Works great but turned into a rusty mess eventually. These days I've been using the back side of a fillet knife which works but takes a bit of time. Any suggestions?
  6. Fisherman Rob

Fluky Fishing Moment

Once my father and I were fishing for lings at Porlier Pass. We're hooking into quite a few undersized ones. A small tug, short fight, reel-in only to release and try again. Once again, small tug, short fight, reel, reel reel... and then WHAM! Suddenly we have a big fight, rod zinging back...
  7. Fisherman Rob

Your best "go to" hoochie

Another vote for Army Trucks for springs! When the pinks are around, a pink squirt kills.
  8. Fisherman Rob

Which kicker to chose for Campion Explorer 492?

I have a 2005 6hp yamaha 4 stroke 2 cylinder on my double eagle 176 and it purrs. I think that was the last year it was a 2 cylinder.
  9. Fisherman Rob

Kicker for my 17.5 DE

I have a 17' DE and have had both a 9.9 Yamaha high thrust (1996) and now a Yamaha 6 (2004 with two cylinders). I prefer the 6 as it's quieter, smaller, and provides better fine tune control of trolling speed. Problem is the new 6 hp is now single cylinder, which I think would vibrate more.
  10. Fisherman Rob

1995 Yamaha 225 ox66 2 stroke part needed ASAP.

Not sure where you are located but I’ve seen a 225 two stroke at Sunny Shores Marina that’s been sitting around for quite a few years now.
  11. Fisherman Rob

Under 8 hp kickers

I have a 2005 Yamaha 6hp 2 cylinder 4 stroke and it’s perfect on my 17’ DE (other than the frozen tiller handle). Very quiet compared to the 9.9 high thrust that corroded up on me. Unexpected benefit of the lower HP is finer trolling speed control.
  12. Fisherman Rob

2022 Sooke Reports

1 ling per day min 65cm in area 20-5 through Sept 30 correct?
  13. Fisherman Rob

Trailering with Bimini up

Seems like a bad idea to me. Strain on the canvas, increased fuel consumption, hit by low hanging branches, exposed to road dust and dirt...
  14. Fisherman Rob

Boats on Used Victoria and Other Areas

Looks like a DE hull but it's not. Maybe a K&C?
  15. Fisherman Rob

What's your mower ?

I picked up a 80v Kobalt rear drive rechargeable mower that was 50% off end of last summer. So far it's great! Push button start, much quieter that the gas one, no gassy smell, one lever to adjust height. I was surprised by how loud the charger was though. Has a fan that kicks in, but it...
  16. Fisherman Rob

Yamaha Tiller Handle Seized

I have that problem on my 2006 Yamaha 6. Got it used and it was already pretty sticky. Now it's completely seized. It's permanently in the up position which happens to be how it's needs to be on my Double Eagle anyway, so I've just left it.
  17. Fisherman Rob

Trailer brake repair

Replace drums with stainless calipers, dacromet rotors, and compatible actuator (recommend the Kodiaks). Rinse with fresh after dipping in salt. Grease pins. Bonus if you figure out how to maintain and replace parts yourself. If you get a shop to do it, make sure they install stainless calipers!
  18. Fisherman Rob

Whaler knockoff

Ah memories. My Dad had a 1972 13' Whaler we used to fish out of Cowichan Bay in. Very stable for such a small boat, but in any chop it was wet and slammed hard. Spent some cold wet mornings heading to Porlier Pass as well. I used to dread pounding up Stuart Channel at sunrise to get to the...
  19. Fisherman Rob

Cedar boat launch at low tide?

I was going to launch my 17' DE from there a few years ago for a trip to Pirates. I had a quick look prior to the trip and decided it was too sketchy for me and went from Chemainus (I was trailering from Victoria). From Google earth, at low tide the ramp disappears.
  20. Fisherman Rob

Towing Capacity?

Unless you need to fit four adults, what about a used Ranger? The 4l 4x4 would tow that no problem. I tow my 17' DE with one.
Back