Search results

1. LowTide

2022 Nanaimo Reports

Went out near Entrance and off the Fingers last week and landed a couple of nice ones along with many unders. The smaller of the two had flesh that was the colour of Ketchup. Not just red, but Ketchup red. Someone said that there is a Fraser run that they call "Fraser Tomatoes". Has anyone ever...
  2. LowTide

Sidescan sonar in Salt Water

Thanks for the information. I believe that it could be useful as a secondary to spot bait or scan for sockeye or chum schools.
  3. LowTide

Sidescan sonar in Salt Water

Quite a few of the new chartplotter/sonar units have sidescan capability. I'm wondering if how many of you use it in salt water for Salmon fishing. It seems as though most of them go 250 to 300 ft to each side. I would imagine that it could be useful to mark bait schools to the side and perhaps...
  4. LowTide

Lowrance or Simrad sounder/ plotter what would you buy?

I like my Garmin with Chirp, and when I had to phone customer service for some minor question, they picked up on the third ring and I talked to someone reasonably local. I'm looking to upgrade to a new Garmin very soon. Does anyone ever use Sidescan in the Salt, fishing for Salmon?
  5. LowTide

2019 Nanaimo Reports

Not the best picture to be sure, but they were pinks.
  6. LowTide

2019 Nanaimo Reports

We spent two very early mornings around the Fingers this weekend. Very calm on Saturday, not so much on Sunday. Had a 12 lb Spring on in less than 10 minutes followed by several smaller ones and numerous double headers of smaller but scrappy Coho. We also managed to get into quite a few Pinks...
  7. LowTide

Sockeye dummy flashers

I usually do the stacking thing. One off the ball and two more at 8-10 foot intervals. some are red some are purple haze, some green/silver but all of my dummies are the smaller 8" flashers. I use 50 lb test crimped on to scotty clips.
  8. LowTide

The Return of NK Spoons

I've used Northern King spoons for decades. In the Great Lakes they certainly are King. I didn't know that they stopped producing them as I still have a box full of them. Great to know that they will be back on the market...
  9. LowTide

Brown's Bay

We fished all day on Saturday starting at Deepwater and then on to Greensea. No luck so we worked our way up to Chatham Point where we discovered at least a dozen boats. Still nothing so we went back to Separation Head where we had a double header that we weren't lucky enough to successfully...
  10. LowTide

Brown's Bay

Thanks for the report, we're staying up there next weekend and I was getting a little worried.
  11. LowTide

2017 Nanaimo Reports

We were out a week ago and all I could get was 6 shaker Chinooks. We also marked fish as shallow as 50 ft but they turned out to be 2 lb Chinooks. We did manage a sole and a baby Halibut but nothing interesting. Fished Rocky Point area mostly.
  12. LowTide

2017 Nanaimo Reports

I thought I saw a Herring Boat out there yesterday. And the seals were so loud today that I could hear them up on Lost Lake road. Early?
  13. LowTide

Dummy Flasher Setup

I use 8-inch flashers for my Dummies when I fish for sockeye, so I usually just re-use them for other fish at other times of the year since they are already rigged and ready to go. They are usually about 5 feet long from clip to flasher. I don't like them too long so that they don't get tangled...
  14. LowTide

2016 Nanaimo Reports

Isn't this the cleaning station at the Brechin Launch?
  15. LowTide

2016 Nanoose Bay/French Creek Reports

Lymans are good plugs but were primarily used in the great lakes or for trout in freshwater. I would use them for hotshoting or lake trolling.
  16. LowTide

Lake Ontario VS BC salmon

If you fly fish you will enjoy finding rainbows (steelies) in every creek running to Georgian Bay and most of Ontario. Browns too. Some creeks have Cohos (Cobourg) running at your feet.
  17. LowTide

On Georgian Bay we used Lyman plugs, J -plugs, Northern King spoons and AC shiners (action certified) which are balsa baits like rapalas. Just like here the fish in the Great Lakes stack up at different depths. Lakers are deep then Chinooks, coho, browns and rainbows-even pinks in some lakes...
  18. LowTide

I grew up fishing the Great Lakes and it sure is a good fishery. It does have it's management issues too. Overfishing wasn't the only reason for the disappearance of Atlantic though. The industry on the iake destroyed habitat and poisoned the rivers. The Don River had one of the biggest runs on...
  19. LowTide

2016 Nanaimo Reports

Thanks. I felt like a rookie getting my knuckles dusted over and over by the Islander.
  20. LowTide

2016 Nanaimo Reports

We went looking for Coho yesterday but all we could get was Pinks and one Chinook. They were all at 100 feet and were taking Coho Killers. I must be doing something wrong.....although the Chinook was 30 lbs so I was good with that. Funny that I was doing everything wrong for Chinook and got my...
Back