Search results

1. OldShoreFisherman

2023 Sooke Reports

Here's one that might be of some interest to the shore anglers.
  2. OldShoreFisherman

2021 Port Renfrew Reports

I think most shore anglers, particularly if they use light gear for beach fishing, can relate to this.
  3. OldShoreFisherman

This was another great day of beach fishing in Port Renfrew this fall.
  4. OldShoreFisherman

This was the kind of fantastic fall day that makes you stop and marvel at what a beautiful place this is to live.
  5. OldShoreFisherman

Thanks. I believe that one came in at just over 10 1/2 pounds. (That isn't a cutting board that it's on in the photo at the end of the video, it's a four-foot cleaning table.) The lure is just a straightforward 2 1/2-inch Buzz Bomb on a six-foot, 15-pound test flourocarbon leader to a...
  6. OldShoreFisherman

Well, maybe, but you're still a young pup, relatively speaking. My breathing was laboured just landing that one fish in the video, so I was more than willing to stick to the plan. And the day we fished together I was just gasping by the time I carried my one fish back to the car--and I was...
  7. OldShoreFisherman

I had made up my mind to only take one fish if I was lucky enough to land one on this day of beach fishing in Port Renfrew. And I stuck to the plan.
  8. OldShoreFisherman

I managed to get a bit of video of another shore angler landing his first beach coho in Port Renfrew in September.
  9. OldShoreFisherman

With all the recent rain the beach-fishing season seems to be over for us clay-footed shore fishers, so I'm getting around to putting together some videos.
  10. OldShoreFisherman

2021 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Those words are from an app that "makes no representations or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the content...and expressly disclaims any liability for errors and omissions in the content." I'm sure the app has its uses, but I'll go with the actual regulations on the...
  11. OldShoreFisherman

2021 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

A straightforward reading of the regulations looks like a diving closure and a general fishing closure to me, except for the very end of the breakwater. From the DFO regulations: Restrictions Always check for protected areas. Species Areas Measure Type Measure Value Finfish 19-2 Closed...
  12. OldShoreFisherman

2021 Sooke Reports

I launched my kayak from Cheanuh marina again on March 31 and managed to hook into three springs, landed two and kept an end-of-the-licence-year spring and a couple of juvenile sablefish. There was a veritable flotilla of kayak fishermen out for the final day--Mike, Steve, Keene, Adrian (thanks...
  13. OldShoreFisherman

2021 Sooke Reports

I launched my kayak from Cheanuh Marina yesterday, March 23; once again about mid-morning. Grant from the marina told me the fish were moving out of the bay, past Aldridge and down toward Beechy Head. There was noticeably less action than has been the case for the past month or so, but I did...
  14. OldShoreFisherman

2021 Sooke Reports

It's too bad I wasn't close enough to get those wild jumps on camera; it's always a blast to see a spring get airborne that many times. Thanks for getting out early to bird-dog those fish before I even got on the water. Ha!
  15. OldShoreFisherman

2021 Sooke Reports

I launched my kayak from Cheanuh again yesterday (March 16) and after losing several fish while trying to get some video I finally left the camera alone and landed one. My fishing partner picked up a couple of keepers as well as releasing some and losing a number of other ones. There was lots...
  16. OldShoreFisherman

2021 Sooke Reports

I was jigging from my kayak out of Cheanuh yesterday and picked this one up right off the bottom in 120 feet of water. It was a beautiful day to be out on the water.
  17. OldShoreFisherman

2021 Sooke Reports

Given how hard it seems to be to get them to stick fishing from a kayak, that was all about thinking it would probably just spit the hook so I wouldn't have to reel it all the way in. Fortunately for me that didn't happen this time and it turned out to be a fairly decent fish. Perhaps the...
  18. OldShoreFisherman

2021 Sooke Reports

Believe me, I've spent enough days in the kayak where the ratio is 0:0 so that even getting a decent hit is satisfying. Of course, it's always nice to come home with a fish. I kept the sablefish in the, as it turned out, vain hope that I would get a few more to smoke. Now it's going to sit...
  19. OldShoreFisherman

2021 Sooke Reports

A fellow-kayaker and I launched from Cheanuh on Friday, Jan. 29, and both managed to land decent fish (and lose a bunch more), making for another great day on the water.
  20. OldShoreFisherman

2021 Sooke Reports

Thanks. Yes, it was an absolutely gorgeous January day; you couldn't ask for a better day for kayak fishing. I was out again for a couple of hours on Monday. This might provide a chuckle.
Back