Search results

1. jbv

Fishing Williston , launching and navigation

i've looked at that system only on maps and it looks totally wild. it must be incredible in there. looks utterly remote and high adventure territory. lots of fish?
  2. jbv

Won't be Loosing Anymore Scotty Rigger Clips

ah yes, we got the gate fixed on the one rigger, and put on those terminal kits (sure stop i think) and that helped a great deal.
  3. jbv

Won't be Loosing Anymore Scotty Rigger Clips

a few years ago, we lost about 5 in a season, mostly on my side. i had no idea how, or what was going on. i was pissed off, embarrassed, and had no idea how they were going. glad i'm not the only guy who's had it happen! i like the idea of this clip on style, the 1191. that might be the next...
  4. jbv

Campion EX, last year made in Canada?

stopped at Howich marine today, they've got a whole row of Campion's in stock for sale. none this time last year, now they are sitting on inventory as rates have gone insane and buying as slowed right down. anyways, my first time checking one out. very nice. seems roomy and comfortable compared...
  5. jbv

Salmon downrigger setups

good stuff in here guys. my buddy and i are fairly new as well and we often get tangled at the deep depths we fish in CR. our boat is 16' and maybe it plays a role as it can be hard to track and sometimes we turn too sharply. is there a minimum spread in depth that we should run our balls? like...
  6. jbv

Tales From The Tyee Pool......2021..

first time fisher in the pool last night, rowed by guide Rick Hackinen. great experience, was next to the boat who caught the tyee when the fish hit. they peeled out fast and the fight was hard as you could hear the reel screaming and the fish was jumping and thrashing at the surface around the...
  7. jbv

Campion Explorer 542 opinions

while i'm at it i might as well ask about this boat, which i believe is very common. another smallish, not high end boat that looks like it would be fairly comfortable and have a bit of storage. made in BC. varying opinions on the web in general, some say the hulls are too thin, some say the...
  8. jbv

Trophy 1802 opinions

wondering if any of you have experience with Trophy boats, especially the 1802. looks great on paper as an alternative to a DE 17, with more room and comfort features. not a super high end craft i gather, but are they decent boats? solid and seaworthy? my aspirations do not require a huge boat...
  9. jbv

so many aluminum boat builders!

incredible, i had no idea there were so many more. looking up some of these brands, it seems that some are very low production or essentially custom order, where others produce models and have dealers. yeah, none are cheap and if they were, then wouldn't be all that good.
  10. jbv

so many aluminum boat builders!

so lemme see just how many companies are making welded tin boats on the west coast. only 2 main ones in Canada, far as i know. Kingfisher and Silver Streak. i guess big fancy boats from Daigle marine in Campbell River where i'm at, but they are essentially a custom boat. then we've got...
  11. jbv

Ralph river ??

wow, nice fish. looks like DV, is that correct?
  12. jbv

catch and release mortality studies

i've read lots of threads, discussions, disputes and some downright nasty conversations about this controversial topic and finally found a research organization while searching UBC salmon studies. it's very interesting and thought i should post here (if it hasn't already been)...
  13. jbv

Advice on re-lining reels

good thread. thread, lines, haha, see what i did there? i'm going to admit to being rebellious and breaking the Cdn rule book of downrigger fishing with a mooching set up. i've been doing it for a few years (Shimano GT) and i've started wondering why. so i asked around and the answer i get is...
  14. jbv

2021 Nanaimo Reports

if there is that much bait and the salmon are gorging that well, it should mean ever larger healthier springs as the summer progresses. great news. i have a 6 inch tubby tomic that i've been hesitant to use as it just looks so massive but maybe i should give it a go.
  15. jbv

Ling cod

no kidding eh, so that's a true story.
  16. jbv

Ling cod

i heard a story a while back, wondering if it's true. i was told that there was a period of time (long time) when ling's were strictly off limit, a closed fishery. the guy said that due to the ease of catching them, they were nearly wiped out on the inside waters and fishing for them again is a...
  17. jbv

how much do new boats cost?

i look online at various 18 footers that interest me. Hewes, Duck, Silverstreak, Kingfisher, etc. it's not like trucks that you can 'build and price', it's all a big secret. no prices anywhere, not on dealers, no MSRP. so what do these things cost, 20? 30? 80?
  18. jbv

High Tech Jigging

what is the advantage of an open reel like the Talica over a level wind? i gather it's very high end and super strong. does the line wind on the reel unevenly? i really like level winds but maybe a more serious and frequent fisherman would see the benefits of traditional reels. i rarely see...
  19. jbv

High Tech Jigging

no kidding. i was reading this thread in the spring and went to that place about a month ago. they were not only closed and remodelling the whole building, the manager looked at me like i was insane. i was walking around trying to find a way in and a managerial looking guy in an office said 'can...
Back