Search results

1. O

Aquaculture; improving????

Given the drastic reduction in fishing pressure one would hope for some sort of uptick in abundance.
  2. O

Concerns about herring kills at B.C. fish farms

Should one band that happens to have an aquaculture operation in their territory, have veto power over the hundreds of other bands up and down the coast that rely on wild runs of salmon?
  3. O

South Island lakes 2024

Should be a nice weekend on the water
  4. O

Herring stocks rebounding

Please feel free to show me any evidence over the past 50 years of a closure that DFO enacted that was later taken off the books. Once closed, forever closed, has been my experience.
  5. O

Driving an EV pickup

I am one of those, "Could buy with cash but holy **** the prices are insane" vehicle purchasers. I can keep my old clunkers running for a few more years if need be.
  6. O

Subject: Cowichan River closure- a portion of the river

The river is full of fish, just ask the guide.
  7. O

New Pinniped Study - harbour seals consume 46−59% of juvenile Coho Salmon

In reading the "study" the words estimated and inferred were used dozens of times. Small sample size from only 4 locations. Not likely to move the needle for any meaningful pinneped management changes.
  8. O

Your Salmon Fisheries Are In Peril!- COMPLETE THE DFO SRKW SURVERY BEFORE FEBUARY 12TH

Yup, this process is now used by all organizations when making decisions. Consult for the sake of consulting and then trot out the tried and true a "look we consulted" response, when called out on their **** poor decision making.
  9. O

New Pinniped Study - harbour seals consume 46−59% of juvenile Coho Salmon

When I was a kid (1980's) sportfishing in front of Nanaimo, seeing a seal was very rare and I don't recall ever seeing a sea lion. Now they are everywhere. Big mammals that have to eat to survive. Would love to see a meaningful cull instead of another news hour story showing the rehabilitation...
  10. O

Your Salmon Fisheries Are In Peril!- COMPLETE THE DFO SRKW SURVERY BEFORE FEBUARY 12TH

This made me laugh. Of course it is about FN. Anybody who is expecting transparency from DFO is delusional.
  11. O

Springs Rebound

Uptick in ocean survival rates. There have always been times when runs have done better than average and worse than average. Is this one of those blips or a trend? Only time will tell.
  12. O

Driving an EV pickup

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2022-ford-f-150-lightning-lariat-yearlong-review-update-12-one-year-check-in/
  13. O

Projects examine how rec fishery is affecting salmon.

Hook size, style of hook, barbed, barbless, hook location in mouth, eye, tongue, gills, depth of water fish was hooked in, bait, hoochey, spoon, size of fish, length of fight, gaff, net, nylon net, rubber net, time held out of water, experience level of angler, crew, trolling , jigging, cut...
  14. O

Projects examine how rec fishery is affecting salmon.

True science has a control vs studying ONE variable tested at a time. There are so many simultaneous variables in CnR that you may be able to draw some correlations but saying that it is science based is a stretch at best. Re Hero shots, You have just finished a one mile sprint and you are...
  15. O

2024-25 DFO proposal and survey on salmon measures

Trudeau has worn out his welcome just like Harper did before him. The time for a change is inevitable. For the vast majority of people, what DFO does or doesn't do has zero impact in their life. Expecting a new govt to make major changes to DFO is unrealistic and highly unlikely. Any...
  16. O

The good ship DFO sails along doing its thing. My impression from watching DFO policies over the years is the different governments change DFO's course by a few degrees in either direction but that is about it. Don't hold your breath waiting for significant changes if the conservatives manage...
  17. O

DFO does DFO things regardless of who the govt of the day is.
  18. O

My only surprise is that some people are surprised that they are getting screwed over by DFO yet again. By all means, continue to consult, fill in surveys, have meetings, make a little noise on the internet, but generally play by the rules. Doing the same old thing and expecting different...
  19. O

Subject: Cowichan River closure- a portion of the river

The hatchery brood option has long since sailed here on the vast majority of rivers here on the island. The stamp/somass still has a few, that is about it.
Back