Search results

1. M

Commercial Prawn opening West Vancouver Island

Anybody know heard/read when the commercial prawning season is opening on the West of Vancouver Island? Usually is around May 10-15. Just curious if anybody heard anything for this year.
  2. M

Tahsis VS Port Hardy

That would work for me.
  3. M

Big Fish - Big Spoons or Plugs?

We've definitely found when fishing offshore using large spoons or plugs dramatically reduces the number of small chinooks, pinks, or small coho. Offshore currently, we only use 6"+ spoons or plugs.
  4. M

Tahsis VS Port Hardy

Yes we've owned a place in Tahsis for about the last 5 years. Love love the people!!!!!!!
  5. M

Tahsis VS Port Hardy

Thank you, everybody, for your input. I don't mind travelling longer distances and can handle most seas since my rig is a 31.5 BW Conquest. However, I hoped to find a place with a longer season and better services. Servicing my rig can be quite difficult in Tahsis, and transporting it for...
  6. M

Tahsis VS Port Hardy

Hi Hello, I was hoping to get some opinions on choosing a home base for this summer between Tahsis and Port Hardy. Currently, I have a place in Tahsis that I love, but it has some limitations. Firstly, the season is very short, running from basically just July and August. It can be extended to...
  7. M

IMPORTANT: Feb. 27 Fisheries Town Hall Mtg. in Langford

"Is there a way to attend a sports event virtually? Many sports enthusiasts do not live close to the coast during winter but would like to show their support and make their voices and views heard by the authorities. It would be beneficial to offer a virtual attendance option to increase...
  8. M

Boat Operating Lessons

Yes I think I have. I've only had one season with her, but so far, I really love her!
  9. M

Boat Operating Lessons

Thank God I do have twins. No bow thruster, but a joy stick. However I don't want reliant on it.
  10. M

Boat Operating Lessons

Thanks everybody for the advise and stories. I don't feel like a complete idiot now... It is comforting to know some other people are or have been in the same shoes. I'm located in Tahsis... My new rig is attached below.
  11. M

Boat Operating Lessons

Hi Everybody I was wondering if anybody know an company or individual that provides boat operating instruction. My situation is I've been operating my own boat for about 10 years and in general I do OK and am fairly confident in open water. However, navigating in tight place around the dock...
  12. M

Zebellos August 2024, What can you tell me about it?

Same with the road to Tahsis. Fine fine dust! I agree make everything is covered and seal as much as possible.
  13. M

SVOP - Small Vessel Operator Proficiency

Thanks everybody who chimed in. The information is muchly appreciated.
  14. M

There was a discussion on fuel prices a few months ago. From was said in the discussion fuel was by far more expensive in Tahsis and Esperanza. If I remember right, fuel in Zebelos was around $2.12 liter. Fuel in Tahsis was $2.42- $2.48/liter and Esperanza was are $2.42/liter.
  15. M

We have place in Tahsis and travel it regularly. I would say half is being overly generous. Most is paved between Moutcha Bay Resort and Tahsis. Between Mouchta and Gold River, I would say no more than 25% and that's the worst part of the drive. The steepest with the most hills and most...
  16. M

Forgive if I'm sounding dumb, but I was looking on the web for the Power Squadron Course. I have my Pleasure Craft Operating Card and my ROC-M. What other course would be a good idea to take? Basic Boating 2 & 3?? Or am I looking on the wrong site. https://vpsboat.org/index.html
  17. M

Thanks everybody for your feedback. I think I'll investigate the Power Squadron Course.
  18. M

Hi Everybody I am considering taking the Small Vessel Operator Proficiency Course. I was wondering how many people on this forum, who are just recreational boat operators, have taken this course? I'm just a ordinary fisherman and was wondering if this was a good course to take or if it's...
Back