Search results

1. merrittboy1

Lingcod, Rockfish rod reel?

Am starting to get into lingcod, rockfish more so was wondering what a reasonably priced rod, reel combo is. Let me know what you use. Thanks.
  2. merrittboy1

Side of boat, rod?

We noticed an interesting pattern this year. We fish different rods, mine 9ft, but use the same flashers and same teaser heads. My rod would outfish others easily. Would even change sides to test, no kidding the rod would still out catch. Could it be how one person baits anchovy over another...
  3. merrittboy1

Rod length, 9 vs 10.5?

Been using an old 9 ft rod for last couple of years. Just like it, works for me and makes netting easier. What are others thoughts? Most of the rods I see on other boats are 10.5. Am I missing something? Longer rods better overall? Opinions?
  4. merrittboy1

Great season! Teaser heads and flashers?

I am done for season, caught plenty of springs mostly in upper teens and low twenties. Was wondering what combinations people use for anchovies. Myself I have used bloody nose and gold Betsy only for last three years. Works fantastic. Never change. Share your setups!
  5. merrittboy1

Two Mercury 9.9 4 strokes

I have a 1999 electric start that needs a leg tune up. We have the parts and have not had time to do it. If you are willing to do it will definetly reduce price. $850 Also have 2006 xl shaft, no work needed. $1200. Not electric start. Both motors run very well. Located in Chilliwack...
  6. merrittboy1

2006 Mercury 9.9 kicker long shaft

Have a look, son is selling for me. https://abbotsford.craigslist.ca/bpo/d/2006-mercury-99-4-stroke/6346601482.html
  7. merrittboy1

Continental Trailer locks up

i have a Continental trailer for my 24 ft Trophy. Have trouble with it locking up when backing up hill, small incline. I guess that there should be something that keeps it from locking but we have tried to find a pin etc with no luck. Any ideas, I am not a mechanic, need help!
  8. merrittboy1

Yamaha oil change and gear oil?

Installed a new to me Yamaha f225 4.2l this past summer. Worked great. Doing my first servicing. Was wondering if those of you with Yamahas stick to Yamahalube products, oils, fogging, filters etc. Was told that it is a must to keep these motors strong. Need some input here. Was also...
  9. merrittboy1

Steel crab traps?

Looking for a couple of round steel crab traps, any for sale?
  10. merrittboy1

Lease returns?

Looking at possibly purchasing a lease return, Yamaha f225 XA. My first experience with returns. Any ideas? Good experiences, bad? Thanks.
  11. merrittboy1

Haida Guai heavy winds?

Heard there are suppose to be heavy Gale force winds up at Haida Guai the next few days. Was told it could influence us here in Port Renfrew. Have my boat located in Mill Bay. Was told I should get it out just in case. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!
  12. merrittboy1

Yamaha F200?

Thinking about buying one for my 24 ft trophy. Any feedback appreciated on these if you own one.
  13. merrittboy1

Repowering 1995 24 foot WA Trophy?

Looking to repower my Trophy. Have a very low transom model, 250 hp Mariner on now 1998. Looking at possibly a 175 or 200 hp Yamaha. Will i have trouble with this as I hear that four strokes are a bit heavier? Only have a few inches of transom now. Ideas appreciated.
  14. merrittboy1

Boat Storage

Looking for a place to store my 24 ft Trophy for off season. Don't want to keep taking it home to Merritt from Renfrew. Duncan, Lake Cowichan area would be best. Dry storage would be preferred. Any ideas is appreciated? Any idea what cost might be?
  15. merrittboy1

Furuno Radar System

This setup was part of the deal when I bought my boat a few years ago. Don't use it, just sitting in the basement. Seller told me it worked. Any interest, maybe we can work a trade of some kind. Let me know if there is an interest, collecting dust.
  16. merrittboy1

Looking for?

My wife and I are looking for a place to rent in Phoenix area for month of March. If anyone has a place or knows someone with one would appreciate letting me know. Maybe you know a place I can call that deals in rentals, rookie at this. Not looking for something fancy, just comfortable and...
  17. merrittboy1

Banana Jinx!

Ok, I have heard a lot about the no bananas rule in boats and how it could lead to BAD luck. I know that many people feel very strongly about this and I kind of half heartedly accepted it. But, these last two days have made me a strong believer. Starting yesterday, lost several fish to lines...
  18. merrittboy1

Fuel gauge readings?

When does a boats fuel gauge read most reliable, at the dock or while running? I get different readings. When sitting at dock reads lower than when running. Is this normal? Thanks.
  19. merrittboy1

Manners on the water!

Fishing the beach in Renfrew, catching has been slow, but no lack of idiots around who lack etiquette! Several boats have done the same thing, rushing through a crowded area to get to spot and then stopping in the middle of a run to put gear down and get the kicker going. One guy took over ten...
  20. merrittboy1

Grey Whales in Renfrew?

Usually see a few Greys around Cerantes and Botannical, but haven't seen any this year. Love to show my family and guests, anyone seen any?
Back