Search results

1. S

Custom boat canopy - from China?

I’ve got a softop with clear plastic panels and a drop curtain on my boat. It needs replacing but I have had no luck with canopy makers on Van isle and in Vancouver. Some just don’t answer the phone, others it’s a year wait. Has anyone just removed their existing canopy, mailed it to a...
  2. S

Downrigger braid stuck under brake

Hey guys, when the braid comes off the spool and slips under the brake, how do you get it out? I've cut both ends and retied, but the small piece of braid is still stuck under there and is screwing up the brake function. It's an older Scotty electric downrigger. Thanks for any advice.
  3. S

Tuff Trailer single axle 4000lbs trailer $6,500

Very lightly used by a 19' Hewescraft. This trailer has been towed from Parksville to French Creek 2x year (5kms), and rinsed thoroughly. It's in mint condition. Rated to 4000 lbs, and GVWR is 4750 lbs. Single axle, galvanized, stainless hardware. Good for a 18-20' boat. Made in 2015 by Tuff...
  4. S

Wanted: double axle trailer for 22' 3500lb boat

Looking for a trailer in decent condition. Thanks.
  5. S

Smiley face on my salmon

picture says it all. I caught this last year in the SOG. The face was not raised or bumpy feeling like a healed wound. It wasn’t fresh like a lamprey sucker, plus the fish was big enough it wasn’t in fresh water for a few years. the face couldn’t be rubbed off either. It was like it was part of...
  6. S

Barnacle rings on aluminum boat

I left my aluminum boat in too long last year (had a baby). No bottom paint. Pressure washed off the barnacles, but the rings remain. Quite rough and I'm sure it'll slow me down. I bought some Starbrite bottom cleaner (oxalic & phosphoric acids) for aluminum, but it doesn't work as well as the...
  7. S

SOLD - Honda 135hp and 9.9 for sale. $4k

I'm re-powering at the end of May (did well in the stock market!) so I'm selling my two engines. One is a 2006 Honda 135hp and the other a 2008 Honda 9.9. Comes with throttle control (for the main) and steering in good condition as well (actually the Seastar steering is new about a year ago)...
  8. S

Anyone use jigs like these?

They look odd, but apparently there's some guides who use them and do quite well. Anyone use them before?
  9. S

High-hour outboard engine maintenance?

My Honda 135 has 1350 hours and has been perfect the entire time, but I know eventually something will break. What components do you guys replace on high-hour outboards? Maintenance I've been doing: oil, filter gear lube thermostats impeller grease
  10. S

(SOLD) Swivel seat base for sale

I switched out the seat base that came w my boat for a Shockwave base. Anyone want this seat base? Make me an offer. adjusts forward and back, and swivels.
  11. S

Boiling prawn heads to make stock - it's worth it!

I used to toss them out, but after Rain City's comment about frying them I looked into some recipies. Haven't done the fry method yet, but I have made a few liters of prawn broth. Water, prawn heads, onion, garlic, bay leaf, celery, carrot. Simmer it for an hour then strain into glass jars and...
  12. S

Enormous Columbia river springs in early 1900's

3 minute vid on the history of the Columbia river chinook. Amazing size to those fish!
  13. S

Anyone change their own brakes on their truck?

My 2016 F150 needs new brakes. The brake shop says I'll probably need new rotors because they make them so thin nowadays, which sounds odd considering I still have a few mm of pad left. They quote around $2500 for new pads and rotors. Does anyone here change their own brake pads? The youtube...
  14. S

Canvas/canopy repair near Vancouver. (wanted)

Can anyone recommend a place near Van to repair my aging soft top / canopy? I emailed Haruna but never got a reply. I hate chasing people to give them my business. Any other options?
  15. S

Fix your freezer burned salmon with this trick

Before you toss your freezer burned salmon, give this a try. Trim off the really bad freezer burnt bits. Rinse with tap water and make sure there's no lingering fish slime on the fillet. Put it in a big ziplock or tupperware, and completely cover it with milk. Lots of milk. Let it sit for...
  16. S

Wanted: Stainless propellor (3 blade, 15.25 or 15.5 x 17)

For my 135hp outboard. Looks like 15.25 x 17 or 15.5 x 17 would be perfect. Right hand rotation. Going to upgrade from aluminum and hopefully gain some fuel efficiency. Located in Vancouver.
  17. S

Best boat for bad backs

Going through some sciatic/disc/low back pain for a while now. Had one obliterated disc removed 5 years ago, and really don't want another one taken out. My 22' aluminium (4,000 lbs) with shockwave seat puts just a bit too much impact into the spine. I'm thinking of scaling up to a...
  18. S

Wanted: Floater suits in L or M size

I'd like to buy a few extra floater suits. Can't be damp/moldy/super old. I'm located in Vancouver, but can arrange pickup in mid-Vancouver Island, Victoria or lower mainland. Thanks.
  19. S

Prawning central BC coast?

Anyone try prawning along the central BC coast? I'm heading up to Calvert Island later this week, and was thinking about bringing a trap along. I've got a small boat and hate clutter, so figured I'd check first if it's worth it. Any advice?
  20. S

your VHF - do you trust it?

I'm often out of cell signal on the water, and in spots where there's no other boats around. I can hear Victoria or the US coast guard calls on the radio but rarely do I pick up other boat's calls. Do you guys trust your VHF radios to get a call out if you're in distress? Does the antenna need...
Back