Search results

1. S

LAPEROUSE. PART VII. Laperouse

Thanks so much for the thorough write up. It's on my bucket list!
  2. S

Mercury announced its first electric outboard

My dad recently installed a Torqueedo electric motor in his 45' wooden sailboat. It bolts to the bottom of his hull, with a hole through the hull for the electronics and power cable. He's yet to run it as he has to build the rudder still, but it's projected to give him 25 miles of range, at a...
  3. S

Custom boat canopy - from China?

I’ve got a softop with clear plastic panels and a drop curtain on my boat. It needs replacing but I have had no luck with canopy makers on Van isle and in Vancouver. Some just don’t answer the phone, others it’s a year wait. Has anyone just removed their existing canopy, mailed it to a...
  4. S

comox scallops

Did they say where the scallops were from? What I've bought has always come from the east coast. I've seen rock scallops while snorkling but they're so rare in my area I've always let them be. I've seen swimming scallops while scuba diving, but they're too small to be worth it.
  5. S

French Creek concerns

Out again yesterday, probably got a compartment full of crab in that boat.
  6. S

2022 Nanaimo Reports

I switched from the small Skinny G spoon to a big glow plug and that was the solution to avoiding the little guys. Fewer hits, but bigger fish.
  7. S

Downrigger braid stuck under brake

Hey guys, when the braid comes off the spool and slips under the brake, how do you get it out? I've cut both ends and retied, but the small piece of braid is still stuck under there and is screwing up the brake function. It's an older Scotty electric downrigger. Thanks for any advice.
  8. S

Tuff Trailer single axle 4000lbs trailer $6,500

The dual axle Karavan I was quoted from Bill Howmuch was just about $16k, and the place in Port Alberni quoted a bit less. The galvanized 6500 Roadrunner is $12,567. The sales guy at Bill's said I should list mine around that 7500 range, but perhaps it's worth a bit less. Open to offers..
  9. S

I just talked with Sherwood and their price on an aluminum I beam 4000lb single axle Tuff Trailer is $11,200. Crazy how expensive trailers are these days.
  10. S

Recently? I was looking at Bill Howich's listing for a Tuff 4000 at $10,632+dealer fee and taxes. I'll drop the price to $7500 and am open to offers...
  11. S

2022 Nanoose Bay/French Creek Reports

Last summer I was watching humpbacks and got circled by a fast plane, a number of times, and then hailed on the radio. Turns out it's the marine mammal enforcement program (can't remember the acronym) but they're now doing aerial surveillance of how close boats are to the whales. I looked it up...
  12. S

Very lightly used by a 19' Hewescraft. This trailer has been towed from Parksville to French Creek 2x year (5kms), and rinsed thoroughly. It's in mint condition. Rated to 4000 lbs, and GVWR is 4750 lbs. Single axle, galvanized, stainless hardware. Good for a 18-20' boat. Made in 2015 by Tuff...
  13. S

Wanted: double axle trailer for 22' 3500lb boat

Well send me the details or listing when you've got it ready, and I'll take a look. Thanks!
  14. S

WTB starboard for boat trailer bunks

If you can't find starboard.. You might try buying the HDPE landscape edging from your local home hardware store. I got 1/4" (they call it half-inch) from Home Builders in Parksville.
  15. S

Wanted: double axle trailer for 22' 3500lb boat

Looking for a trailer in decent condition. Thanks.
  16. S

Yesterday evening I was leaving French Creek in my boat en route to Lasqueti. A kilometer or so offshore, in about 200' of water, I passed a sea otter. I couldn't believe it, so I watched it in my binoculars, then turned around for a closer look. It lay on it's back for a bit, watching me. I...
  17. S

Last two springs the commercial fleet did very well with prawns. In June 2021 after the commercial season ended, I caught one or two prawns per trap in an area that would have been over 100 per trap. Imagine how catching, sorting, tossing back the undersized prawns for 40 days does to the...
  18. S

Smiley face on my salmon

Never knew that - strange how we never catch ocean fish with them attached.
  19. S

Smiley face on my salmon

Crazy. I wonder if it latched on when it was still in the river, and grew along with the fish. Lampreys sure are disgusting critters.
Back