Search results

1. vanislehunter

2023 Port Alberni and Alberni Inlet Reports

Fished Coulson to China creek all day yesterday. Embarrasing number of succesful hookups. Just simply lost a lot of fish, 1 broken leader, and bent hooks on a the 'big one'. Best bite was at Coulsons between 1 and 3. Ended up with 3 in the boat, lost 7 or 8. Most on anchovy, 1 on herring aid spoon.
  2. vanislehunter

2023 Sidney Reports

Tried to recreate my chinook magic from Friday at fairfax again yesterday. I guess i caught all the big ones because we got 1 pink and about 10 undersized chinook. Tried all depths and a barage of spoons and hootchies.
  3. vanislehunter

2023 Sidney Reports

Fished east side of Moresby this morning. Was trying for some pinks to entertain my 4 year old. No pinks to be had but we managed two nice chinook and released a fat, healthy sockeye. Second spring grabbed both lures. Was a first for me but a childhood dream come true.
  4. vanislehunter

2023 Sidney Reports

Pinks at Moresby yet?
  5. vanislehunter

2023 Nanaimo Reports

Tent doesnt close until August 1st.
  6. vanislehunter

2023 Gulf Island Reports

Tent on Thursday. Two springs, both hatchery. One was 64cm and kept, the other was 40cm and released. Porlier on sunday had some fantastic coho fishing. 5am to 7am we caught 9, 2 hatchery and 7 wilds released including 1 that was pushing 10 pounds.
  7. vanislehunter

2023 Port Alberni and Alberni Inlet Reports

Coulson to Cous, 20+ hits today.
  8. vanislehunter

2021 Gulf Island Reports

When in doubt, try deeper. Or shallower. I havnt been out in a few months so I don't have any current answers for you.
  9. vanislehunter

2020 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

SH slow. Seemed to be a bit of bite around 8, but we spent that time battling shakers. One that felt sizeable it Did a big run out and then turned and swam straight back to boat. 67 on anchovy. Everyone dispersed, havnt seen a net in a while.
  10. vanislehunter

We did. Green flasher. 6 ft leader. Coho Blue Teaser head. Just in case someone did find a rig like that swimming around.
  11. vanislehunter

Showed up at Sandheads around 1:30 today. Got the lines in the water in about 500ft of water. Fished all the way to 80ft adjusting depths with nothing to show for it. Left the pack and wandered north a little. When we were back out in 250ft of water we had a double header of absolute freight...
  12. vanislehunter

2020 Nanaimo Reports

Fished Entrance on Sunday. Many dogfish, lots of shakers. Strong currents = one epic tangle. I was fishing 100-220 on the riggers. Buddy got a keeper spring at 230feet after I left.
  13. vanislehunter

2020 Gulf Island Reports

Well I suppose this could explain a few things... Sorry to have removed you from the pool of ignorance. Area 18 is open except most of it is closed to spring retention...
  14. vanislehunter

2020 Gulf Island Reports

Lots of boats fishing the chinook closure outside of Porlier. I suppose one must assume they were chasing coho and pinks but my experience there says that your catching ten springs for every one of the other species. Had a first timer on the boat and he was tickled to be catching greenling and...
  15. vanislehunter

2000 yammy 100 4 stroke with no mid range

Thanks for the tips everyone. Going to look into syncing first, and hopefully that will solve it.
  16. vanislehunter

2000 yammy 100 4 stroke with no mid range

Good Morning Everyone. I have a 100HP yamaha 4 stroke from 2000. It's carburated. It starts and idles beautifully and runs WOT beautifully. I have almost no midrange though. From about 2100RPM to ~3000RPM it shutters, and if you try to push through that range too fast, it dies. Thoughts?
  17. vanislehunter

2019 Gulf Island Reports

Prawns were good to me. I found more action in shallower waters this year, and less in deeper water. I only dropped traps in one area so don't know what's going on in other places. I was catching most of my prawns 50 feet shallower than past winter breaks. Crabbing was good. Found some big...
  18. vanislehunter

2018 Gulf Island Reports

We did well at Porlier on Sunday and we were a bit offshore. 250-300 feet of water. Pretty steady action at 120ft with outfitter spoon.
  19. vanislehunter

Trophy Reel Help Needed

just to be sure, it made noise before? My crew all uses trophys and I don't think any of them are particularly noisy when line is stripped.
  20. vanislehunter

Suggestions for calm water fishing inside the islands

Stay out of the RCA's and try not to crash into reefs. You're not going to find as good of fishing on the inside but the reality is you can fish anywhere that isn't closed. Show them a good time can be had even if the fish are not biting. Maybe you'll get lucky!
Back