Search results

1. poet1971

2016 Sooke Reports

Had a couple of nice wilds yesterday and a few smells. Nothing I could keep though. Everything was either side of 8:30. Out in deep water (400 feet) and down around 65 ft. Both the big boys hit on a sand lancer. Tried for Hali in the afternoon/evening off William head. No joy though...
  2. poet1971

2016 Sooke Reports

After a winter break, I find myself lost. Where did everyone, and all the posts go? Is this no longer the "go to" spot for chatting with the locals?
  3. poet1971

Sooke2015

Does anyone in the Victoria area know (or is he on here) a Mike Murray? I found a float of his in Beacher Bay today. It still had about 30 feet of rope attached. Was out today. My motor kept stalling. I think I had some air in the fuel line. Did get a nice sockeye (released) and boated a...
  4. poet1971

What to do with pinks?

Pinks are great for everything. I smoke the fillets, I use the bellies for halibut bait and the heads, spines tails and guts go into the crab trap (with a shot of herring oil). And theirs lots of them.
  5. poet1971

Advice for bottom painting

Thank you guys. That is exactly what I needed to hear. Profisher, I do the oils and filter every 100 hours and the plugs and fuel line filter every 200 hours. I bought the motor new in 2013 (a 90 Yamaha) and want to keep it in prime shape. I will follow your advice on the pull and clean method...
  6. poet1971

Advice for bottom painting

Hi Guys, Last year I moored my boat for a month and a half. This year I'm going to Moore if again, so I figure I had better get the bottom done. But this is new to me. Can anyone make a recommendation on where to have it done, what I should have done, how long it takes, and roughly what if...
  7. poet1971

Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

Four in the boat today. 2 hatchery Coho, 1 wild Coho, and a nice big Spring. All on anchovy. We were out in about 500 ft of water off Beechy. Riggers down around 70 and 90 ft. Good day.
  8. poet1971

Forum members BOATS

Love my Arima. You'll be super happy with it. Mine's an 87. Just make sure you put the correct number on the bow, or you'll look like your boat came from Almeria Spain. You don't want to make THAT mistake. Lol...
  9. poet1971

Forum members BOATS

Ya, I read the wrong numbers off the form. And now I can't find the form. The replacement form IS in the mail. Burns is correct, that is the hull number. Ya, ya, ya, I'm an idiot. Let's move on. :rolleyes:
  10. poet1971

Forum members BOATS

New top and new name. All ready for the new season
  11. poet1971

Sunbrella VS Top Gun Fabric for a dodger

Thanks everyone. I went with the Top Gun fabric. The top is just about done. I think I got a good fair price, and I'm super happy with the finished product. All zippers, more openings, complete rear curtain, and an upgrade to the frame. I'll post pictures soon.
  12. poet1971

Sunbrella VS Top Gun Fabric for a dodger

Hi Everyone, Well I just pulled Mariah out and am getting her ready for another season. I want to give her a new enclosure this year. What is everyone's experience with Sunbrella vs Top Gun fabric for the dodger?:cool:
  13. poet1971

Greys or Humpbacks?

A friend and I were out on Oct 24/25. They were in quite close to secretary. In fact, were had troubles keeping out of them. There were three separate groups. One group of three (one was young), and two pairs. The group of three was the first spotted. Then one pair joined them (to feed I...
  14. poet1971

Greys or Humpbacks?

Thanks guys. Gungadin, that sight was very helpful. They are definitely Humpbacks! Greys have no dorsal fin and humpbacks have a small fin. The ones we saw definitely had a fin.
  15. poet1971

Greys or Humpbacks?

Hey everyone, I need some help. The last few times I've been out we saw a bunch of whales out in front of Sooke. I have been told they were Grey whales by some, and Humpbacks by others. Which is it?
  16. poet1971

Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

Out yesterday and brought in a 9.5 lbs wild. And today We ended up with 2 wild coho (9 and 8 lbs), 2 hatchery coho (10 and 6 lbs), and a little spring. As well as seeing 7 humpback whales. All were at 450 ft of water. With the rigs down between 50 an 80 ft. We were using a mixture of hoochies...
  17. poet1971

Perfect, that goes great with our plans. Thanks for the tip Pro!
  18. poet1971

Good to hear Pro. Can you share where you were? Thanks for he lure and depth hints. I'm taking a buddy from Ottawa out on Thursday and Friday. I'm hoping I an find a few for him.
Back