Search results

1. M

Ontario Angler heading to Tofino in September - Help? :)

September is a great time for salmon fishing here in Tofino. There will still be springs around and lots of coho. Halibut fishing is also really strong in Sept as well. I highly recommend a charter as it takes all the guess work out of it. Lots available after labour day weekend. Drop me a PM if...
  2. M

Looking for good Guiding Service WCVI - Business Trip

Marina West in Tofino (formerly Weigh West). They have full fishing packages with hotel, food and some of the best guides in Tofino. Also try Fishtofino here on the site, Shawn Hilliar keeps his boat there and also would be a great fit. Tofino is a great option as fishing is still very strong in...
  3. M

Help...What Fish Did I Catch...

also the elongated mouth that extends well past the eye is another great characteristic of the cutthroat trout. I have seen a couple posts in the last week regarding unknown kept species and remember "if you don't know let it go". Goes for both fresh and saltwater.
  4. M

Cheap Guided Campbell River Trips

I'd make sure they have all the required tickets and insurance before jumping on any discount guides boat. And as mentioned before you get what you pay for. That business model doesn't last long if your paying taxes, as well as maintenance will eat up all your "profit" if your pocketing a couple...
  5. M

Lets play a game............

Definitely looks like an Atlantic but if you've ever seen a mature salmon out of a net pen the fins and tail are all rounded off from rubbing on the nets. This extremely healthy looking fish has no sign of that so it has been in the chuck a while and obviously feeding as well.
  6. M

Best Ukee and Tofino guides......

Any of the guides off the marina west dock in Tofino will give you a great trip.
  7. M

Alberni sockeye

talked to FN fellow who claimed they got 5000 last week gill netting. Seems like a lot but I don't know what a usual haul would be for one of the guys in the canal.
  8. M

Can an 11 y/o handle a Chicken Halibut?

you can always stand behind him and help hold the rod as well and let him reel. Let him try on his own until he says he needs help. The less you do the more proud he will feel!
  9. M

2014 Ucluelet Fishing Reports

The Vancouver Island South marine weather forecast says NW winds 10-20knots this weekend but the weather is calling for rain and clouds. If the rain is right expect no NW winds and if the wind is right expect no rain. Pressure is rising so I would expect the wind and no rain. No matter what you...
  10. M

What gps/chrt plotter to buy

Have a look at the Elite 4 from Lowrance. Comes with the gold chip as well and under $500. Pretty sweet little unit for a smaller boat.
  11. M

Heading to Tofino. Any reports?

It's good now for both springs and hali, and will only be better by the end of the month. You should be in for a fun trip.
  12. M

Optimax Oil Comsumption

I am referring to the cheaper non Merc TCw3. You save in the short time on cost by using it but it definitely shortens the life of your motor and the build up in the head is very noticeable when you compare engines that have run on Castrol TCW3 (blue) for instance vs Merc TCW3. Even though it...
  13. M

Optimax Oil Comsumption

For your TCW3 oil, blue is bad, green is good, brown is best. Also be aware that Merc will not warranty new Optimax's if they are not using genuine Merc TCW3.
  14. M

The other side of the fence.

"Dr. Kristi Miller, on the Cohen record, showed that 25% of farmed chinook in Clayoquot Sound had both HSMI and ISA (both are Norwegian diseases that should not be in the North Pacific – DFO let them in on eggs). That is roughly 125,000 per farm. There are 22 farms in Clayoquot Sound, and it is...
  15. M

Well stated, I read this blog and besides the personal attacks on individuals it lacked any real evidence. I understand there are two sides to every story, just looking for a more reputable source for the other sides position.
  16. M

I find this an interesting thread as this morning driving I was listening to the CBC on the radio and they were discussing the Northern Vancouver Island Company (name I forget) and how they have harvested their first closed containment Atlantic Salmon for sale soon in Safeway's. They stated the...
  17. M

Saltwater license fees for the good of the fish......

Agreed. I am tired of watching my tax dollars spent on high end hotels, hand carved wood furniture for offices and first class airfares. When the federal and provincial governments can get their book keeping in order only then would I support an increase.
  18. M

High gas price's and fishing

I find I spend more time fishing a little closer to home now. When I had guests you go where the fish are, but for fun fishing I pay more attention.
  19. M

The Biggest Chinook You Ever Caught.......

how about a couple of these
  20. M

The Biggest Chinook You Ever Caught.......

47.5lbs at Portland Pt. Red chrome flasher with a UV head. 5.25" anchovie
Back