Search results

1. wagonmaster

Discarding old flares

A friend came across some old flares at a warehouse he volunteers at and attempted to find a way to dispose of them. He has contacted Trotac, and the Central Saanich Police Station who told him that none of the police departments, fire departments, Ellis recycling or Hartland Rd. take them...
  2. wagonmaster

buzzbomb single hook

Is it illegal to use a treble hook on buzzbombs and other casting lures like stingzeldas and zingers?
  3. wagonmaster

Looking for old camcorder

I am wanting to digitize my old mini DV tapes by transferring them to my computer. I have everything ready to go including the software and all the necessary firewire connections. Problem is, my Mac does not recognize my camcorder, but apparently, there are many out there that will. Wondering...
  4. wagonmaster

Trailer brake repair

Thought I'd post a short piece to share my experience with trailer brakes. Bought a 18 Campion 542 with a Road Runner trailer in 2004. Always rinsed the wheels thoroughly and kept in my garage since new. In 2017, I started having problems with the brakes (drum) getting stuck so that the tire...
  5. wagonmaster

boat trailer actuator

I mentioned in a previous post that I am having a problem with my trailer brakes locking up. I have had the brake system redone in the last two years including new backing plates, bearing kits, hub and drum assembly etc. but the problem remains. Can a malfunctioning actuator cause the brakes...
  6. wagonmaster

where to buy a new boat trailer

I have a 2004 Campion 542, garage kept and in perfect shape. The trailer, on the other hand, has been giving me grief for the last two years. The surge brakes keep seizing up and I have spent north of $1500 on new parts and labour at two different dealerships, but the problem keeps...
  7. wagonmaster

Deleting old conversations and alerts

When I bring up my list of conversations or alerts, I can see no way to delete them. Help please. Thanks.
  8. wagonmaster

Crab Bait

Been using chicken backs from Thrifty's for crab bait for a while and have found it better than salmon heads. Someone recently cautioned me that salmonella could be a problem using chicken. Anyone else heard of that?
  9. wagonmaster

Fishing BC app

Looked through a pile of regs in the app and can find current regulations no problem. Chinook closed to July 31 off Victoria, but no mention of future open dates and/or restrictions. Pretty sure retention of springs begins August 1st and if I wait until then the app will inform me. My...
  10. wagonmaster

Timing for crab quality

Got out in the boat this past weekend (Jan. 27), first time since September. Caught a few good size crabs, but found that most were quite soft in that the legs etc. were maybe 60-70% full of meat. The bodies seemed quite full, but the legs not so much. For those out there that do a fair...
  11. wagonmaster

8 inch crab

Was out from Esquimalt Anglers this morning and caught a crab that was fully 8 inches across the back. Unheard of in the land of 4000 traps. Thinking it must have wandered in from deeper water. No way it could avoid all the traps while it grew from 6 1/2 to 8 inches. Got one other keeper and...
  12. wagonmaster

Kinked leader

Like a lot of guys, when done fishing with a particular lure, I roll up the leader and put it through a small section of plastic straw. Problem is, when I go to use it again, it is full of kinks which seem to be relatively permanent. I'm thinking that the drag of the lure in the water is not...
  13. wagonmaster

Lucky to live in B.C.

Avoiding the rain of Vancouver Island for a few weeks and am staying in Hemet near Palm Springs. Visited Diamond Valley Lake today. It is a man made reservoir. Found out that between launch fees, fishing fees, and parking fees, guys around here pay $37 for a day on the lake. A chance to...
  14. wagonmaster

surge brake problem

When applying the brakes when towing my boat, there is a violent thump and noise. This has been going on for some time now and it doesn't do it all the time. Often it will happen when I take the boat out of the water, thump 8 or 10 times and then quit. I had SG replace the bearings, so no...
  15. wagonmaster

salmon conservation stamp

The salmon conservation stamp used to only be necessary to retain chinook. When did they change it to "any salmon"? I must have been sleeping.
  16. wagonmaster

crab quality

Haven't done enough crabbing over the years to notice a pattern regarding the best time of year to harvest crab, but have heard that any month with an "r" in it is preferable. Dropped my traps yesterday for the first time in ages and ended up with seven keepers. Was disappointed with the quality...
  17. wagonmaster

Cheanuh launch

Was out to Cheanuh's launch on Friday. Due to the Spirit Bay development, parking there is now severely restricted. The area down below is still in tact, but is almost always full even if you arrive early and on a weekday. There is a spot for about four or five trucks and trailers just beyond...
  18. wagonmaster

leader length

What is the current recommended leader length for a hootchie behind a flasher for springs? Heading out to Constance tomorrow. I generally use bait with a 6 or 7 foot leader, but I recall the length for hootchies should be shorter as they have no action of their own. Haven't used them for a while.
Back