Search results

1. Scott2010

Staying in Port Renfrew

You'll find some coho and chum around. Try walking the San Juan sandbar. Climb under the Gordon River bridge try there. Bright heavier marabou jigs work well in the high water conditions. Spinners work well too. Likely spotty for fresh fish, but if you look down off the bridge over the San Juan...
  2. Scott2010

Big Qualicum River

Lot's off poaching at the Little Q as well. I reported some guys that were taking springs. I yelled at a guy who thought it was ok to drag the spring on the rocks, then leave it there while he got his camera. Then he released it into shallow water and turned away as the fish just lay there. He...
  3. Scott2010

Westcoast Pinks

When the school is thick, to avoid snags , try a floating gurgler type fly stripped fairly quick above them. Likely better in the ocean at the mouths, but could work on fresh ones if you are the first one there. We did well on the dry this week on the north island.
  4. Scott2010

Westcoast Pinks

Heading up island in a few day for some beach fishing. How's everyone making out, I hear it's a good year so far in CR . The site's been slow lets share some pics and stories.
  5. Scott2010

Diversion Reservoir

Here's a map of Mt Well park. Humpback isn't part of the watershed. Whether or not its fished, ?. You likely can, although I will find out for sure. As for Diversion, it's not part of the watershed either. Nor is Bear creek. See the other link for more info. Diversion is accessed through...
  6. Scott2010

Diversion Reservoir

We attempted to reach Diversion via Forebay rd about 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately the road is deactivated about half way up. Is this the most common road up there? Is there still access? On a side note, I was curious about the humpback reservoir, are you allowed to fish it? Scott
  7. Scott2010

Catch of the day

Qualicum sea run from today
  8. Scott2010

Qualicum man charged with guiding without a license.

http://www.bclocalnews.com/news/328555421.html.
  9. Scott2010

What area to relocate to from Vancouver for best all year salmon fishing?????

I would steer clear if Victoria unless you like traffic and tourists and lots off fuddy duddy granola eaters. Best bet is the Central Island, anywhere north of Duncan is nice. I'd say with the money you could get a beautiful ocean view home in Nanoose or Lantzville. How bout Qualicum?
  10. Scott2010

Coal Harbour\Holberg area

No real boat access, but might bring a float tube. Don't think I'll bother with the canoe. I appreciate the advice, I will certainly provide an update once I return. Maybe the rivers will open by then? Cheers, Scott
  11. Scott2010

Coal Harbour\Holberg area

Heading to Coal Harbour at the end of September and was wondering if anyone is familiar with the area. I see there is a hatchery at the eastern end of Rupert Inslet, how is the beach fishing for Coho there? Has anyone tried the beach in Holberg? Going up to have a look regardless, gonna hike...
  12. Scott2010

Planning a 7 day fishing trip in early May. Where would you fish?

Focus on the estuaries, tidal water. Plenty of salmon around. I might be biased being from the island, but there is certainly a lot of options here in the fall.
  13. Scott2010

ECVI Pinks 2015

Found a few in the Q, saw one caught and released. A few big Chinooks around as well
  14. Scott2010

ECVI Pinks 2015

Nothing in Nanaimo so far. Heard of a few North of Comox. No schools at the Clux yet. Nile creek is crappy most of the time, best to hold out for a good rain (like today) and go to C river or the Eve where you know you'll catch one. Good Luck, hope to see you out there
  15. Scott2010

Sockeye closure on the somass

It doesn't make much sense to me that the river was closed after the first nations were netting them for over for a month before the closure. Wouldn't it make more sense to allow the earlier fish up, reach targeted ascapement numbers, then allow netting. Secondly, why is it okay to kill em in...
  16. Scott2010

Sockeye closure on the somass

June 29, 2015 until further notice: closure to all fishing in that portion of Subarea 23-1 from the tidal boundary signs at Paper Mill Dam on the Somass River downstream to a line commencing at a boundary sign in upper Alberni Harbour situated at 49°14.19 north latitude and 124°50.23 west...
  17. Scott2010

Estuary fishing

I agree, estuaries are sensitive. I don't condone fishing skinny water in the estuary, rather more out at the tide line; beach fishing really. It seems like a grey area retention wise. Scott
  18. Scott2010

Estuary fishing

If an area in front of an estuary is open to retention, then wouldn't that apply to the estuary as well? For example, the englishman is catch and release, but then one could retain in the estuary? Coho retention was increased last year on the East coast and I think i missed out on some estuary...
  19. Scott2010

Cowichan River Fly Fishing Tips

Drift down in your float tube from town, heavy gold bead head muddlers and big leeches fished fairly deep worked for me. I got one quite close to the main green bridge on town. You're pull out will be little beach, it's a good couple hours fishing to get there, then a 20 minute walk back to...
  20. Scott2010

BC Coastal Cutthroat trout

One resident and one searun (little q)
Back