Search results

1. B

Mistakes

I've always known that i would forget my plug so right from day one i have a carabiner on one of my rear boat straps with the plug clipped onto the release lever. So if i remember to remove the straps i "should" remember to put the plug in. 10 years in i've only forgotten once but caught myself...
  2. B

2023 Winter Harbour Reports

Its that time of the year again where my son (who is now 8) and I are doing our annual trip and this year we are doing the last sound (and from what i've heard the best) that we have not yet seen, Quatsino. Started this when he was 3 (desolation sound) and worked our way up to Kyuquot last year...
  3. B

Best VI waters for small boat, beginner crew?

I fished for years in a 14' Lund with a 25hp Johnson. Bobs like a cork. I went everywhere with that thing, Barkley, Clayoquot, Broughtons, you name it. Became kind of and expert with wind waves and current, you have to. Only challenge at times was the fog, hard to predict when that will happen...
  4. B

Yamaha tilt trim problem

Those little tilt units on yamaha 8 and 9.9 motors are notorious for allowing seawater into the electric motor and wrecking it. its a very terrible design. i ended up replacing the motor on mine at the obscene price of over 400$ back in 2017 and then the brand new one started leaking too in 2021...
  5. B

Trailer parking in Nanaimo

Ladysmith has a free launch and park. I have left my truck and trailer there for a week numerous times and had no issue. In fact I just got back from a 7 day trip yesterday. It's not that far to Gabriola from there.
  6. B

Buying a Boat Trailer, What should I consider and What Braking System should I choose.

I would definitely go EOH on disc even though i know its unecessary and some would even say overkill. i have it on my tuff trailer 6000 and i'd never go back to anything else even for a lighter duty trailer! it was a game changer for me, i love the in cab control. The tuff is a great trailer all...
  7. B

Help with sleeping on boat first time.

As an alternate to a stern anchor you could do what I do(and pretty much every other cruiser or sailboat I've seen out there) and stern tie yourself to a tree on shore. I'm always anchored as close to shore as I safely can anyways. I keep a 600 foot spool of poly rope on a spool just for this...
  8. B

Wtb. Yamaha trim motor

the yamaha tilt system for the T8 (and T9.9 for that matter) are complete crap when it comes to waterproofness. do yourself a favor and even if its brand new, take the stator housing off of it, and seal everything with silicone. water gets in otherwise and fries the whole thing. i've had a brand...
  9. B

2022 Kyuquot Reports

For the past 4 years my son and I do an annual boat-venture-fishing trip for a week each summer. Every year we do a new area. This is our 5th year, we started when he was 3 years old and so far have done Desolation, Clayoquot, Nootka, Broughtons and now this year we have selected Kyuquot. I have...
  10. B

Engines,props, and wide open throttle

In my experience WOT is not the only deciding factor on proper prop. I have two props, once that goes to 5700 and another that goes to 5400. The 5700 burns way more fuel at cruise than the 5400 (i cruise between 4200-4400). Like others have said, experimentation is key. So many people think you...
  11. B

Lowrance transducer

Hi All, So i've just bought a HDS Live for my boat, and now i have that in the front and an older Gen3 unit at the back. I have an old Lowrance 50/200 transducer but i want to upgrade that considering my equipment, what would you recommend for someone who fishes the ocean for salmon/halibut and...
  12. B

Horse Mackerels in Vancouver Island?

A few years back my dad and I caught a bunch in renfrew as well. They are jack mackerel and ours were about that size too. When you get in the school it's one after another as I recall.
  13. B

Pliers

I use a very old pair of yellow handled fuller needle noses that my dad gave me, built in the 70s era and made in Canada, they are rusty but it seems to protect them and has not exploded in rust like the cheepies from CT do. I barely ever even lube them and yet they stay so smooth. Those...
  14. B

Aluminum welder in Victoria

awesome thanks guys i'll reach out.
  15. B

Aluminum welder in Victoria

Any recommendations for a good aluminum welder in Victoria? My radar tower is broken (wasn't welded correctly) and I need a pro to fix it. Thanks!
  16. B

First overnight trip - help and advice appreciated please

Oh that is very exciting. I'm heading out with my 7 year old for our annual father/son in 2 days, we are going to the broughtons but we are old hands at this (i started when he was 3) and we always have a hoot. its my favorite type of vacation! alot of great advice here, a couple extra pieces of...
  17. B

Info on Fishing Around Port McNeil

My son and i are heading up to the broughtons for a 5 day Father-son fishing/exploration adventure through the islands starting on the 30th. Never really fished that area much in recent times. He's turning 7 so i'm excited to get him on some fish. How is the halibut in that area? Any one with...
  18. B

ISO 15lb downrigger balls

Yep he had what I needed. Thanks for the tip.
  19. B

ISO 15lb downrigger balls

I'm looking for 15lb downrigger balls in Victoria area. I need 3. Also looking for 2lb Halibut balls but less important. PM me if you got anything available and price. Thanks!
  20. B

In prep for the new 200 , Helm

I redid my hewescraft one last week I didn't like the switch positioning and it was a melting pot of crap. I had a friend with a cnc cut a 1/8 aluminum plate from a cad file I made. Then I put a black vinyl on it, looks great. You could get one water jet cut for pretty cheap and it will be much...
Back