Search results

1. W

Safety Equipment and Docs

I got stopped by the RCMP boat yesterday and they checked my safety equipment, boat registration, PCOC, etc. Good thing I had checked all that stuff not too long ago, so I had everything. They said most boats don’t have everything, and fines are heavy...
  2. W

Herring in the Gorge

Has anyone had any luck catching herring in the Gorge this year? I tried the Craigflower bridge this afternoon and got nothing. I haven't seen many people out on the bridge this year. Nothin' says springtime like catching herring off the bridge...
  3. W

Installing a Steering Cable

I needed an new manual steering cable on my 16' Arima. Seemed like a job I could do myself with some help from YouTube, so I removed the old one, and ordered the new one. But I was switching from a rack mount to rotary, which meant I needed a bigger hole in the dash for the helm. I got...
  4. W

Recycling Fishing Line

Does anyone know if fishing line can be recycled? And where? It doesn't really seem like something that should go in the landfill?
  5. W

Measuring Trolling Speed

Quite a few posts mention trolling speed. How would that be measured? Seems to me that speed over land (GPS speed) is totally irrelevant when trolling in a current. Is there an instrument for measuring speed over water, or do you just make a best guess based on downrigger line angle or other...
  6. W

Licence Requirements

If I have 3 people in the boat, I'm only fishing 2 lines, and I won't exceed the limit for 2 licences, do all 3 people in the boat still need a licence?
  7. W

iPad chart plotter setup

I've been investigating options for using a chart plotter on my boat. It looks like a good way to do it would be with the Navionics app and charts on my iPad. I don't have cellular on my iPad so I'm looking at the Bad Elf GPS Bluetooth device. Does anyone have experience with this setup? I...
  8. W

Fishing in the Fog.

I'd be interested in hearing any advice about fishing in the fog. I tend to stay close to shore when it's foggy. I'm not worried about finding my way with either my GPS or my compass. I'm more worried about being hit by another bigger, faster boat that can't see my 16 footer. And during coho...
Back