Search results

1. W

iPad With GPS for Navigation

I’ve used the Garmin Glo with an old iPad for years and it works great. I use Navionics and like it, but I’ve never used anything else to compare. The iPad battery doesn’t last all day if I keep the screen on but I take a power bank to plug in to when it runs low. The Glo charge lasts all...
  2. W

2022 Sidney Reports

Is anyone catching coho in Sidney? There are lots in Sooke but so many windy days! The wind seems better in Sidney lately but I’m not sure where to go for coho? Haro Strait?
  3. W

How do you store lures with leaders

When wrapping up leaders, I do a figure 8 wrap around my fingers Instead of a straight loop. Way fewer tangles when unravelling.
  4. W

2021 Gulf Island Reports

Very useful information, both for Navionics and Mycatch. Thanks for sharing!
  5. W

2021 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

I went for salmon today. Got a couple of smallish keepers over by Albert Head. Lost or released a few more. Beautiful day out there. Lots of undersized crabs, no keepers. Seems to be all I get lately.
  6. W

Daiwa M-One Reel

I agree. I had a similar problem and it was a loose screw on the freespool switch. I took the reel apart, tightened up the screw, and it’s been fine ever since. I cleaned it and gave it a shot of oil while I had it apart. These reels are very simple and seem to last forever.
  7. W

2019 Sooke Reports

It was pretty busy so they had to wait across the end of the dock. I think what happened was when space freed up, they tried to hand pull around the corner while still sitting in the boat and when reaching out to hold on to the dock, leaned over too far and got swamped. Fortunately...
  8. W

2019 Sidney Reports

In previous years, I’ve always gone to Pender Bluffs for pinks. With it closed, is South Pender the next best spot? Or are they pretty easy to find all through the area, off Hamley Pt. or Fairfax, for example?
  9. W

2018 Pender Bluffs

That is a nice fish! I’m confused about the regs...again! I’d like to try Pender Bluffs this weekend, but I looked at the regs and it looks like area 18 is still no-go for wilds? Not sure why it would be different than 19 and 20. But it wouldn’t be the first time I didn’t read the regs...
  10. W

2018 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

They’re a pain in the butt! I’ve already lost one rig on them. Not sure what can be done tho...
  11. W

2018 Sooke Reports

I was out Monday right off the harbour. It was slow closer in but when I went out a little further, 400-450 ft and dropped down to 100-120 ft on the downrigger, I started catching them. Had my limit in the boat and was home for lunch. Hopefully they stick around for a few more weeks.
  12. W

Best day of fishing of my LIFE!!!! take a look:)

Way to go, Andrew! I can’t wait to hear what happens to these guys.
  13. W

Safety Equipment and Docs

In having the safety equipment, or in not having any alcohol?
  14. W

We didn’t have any alcohol, and they didn’t ask if we did.
  15. W

I got stopped by the RCMP boat yesterday and they checked my safety equipment, boat registration, PCOC, etc. Good thing I had checked all that stuff not too long ago, so I had everything. They said most boats don’t have everything, and fines are heavy...
  16. W

2018 Sidney Reports

I thought this would be a chance to try the iPad photo editing. I don’t fish Sidney a lot, but here some areas I know. 1. Wain Rock 2. Coal Island 3. Fairfax Point 4. Pender Bluffs 5. Red Can 6. Hamley Point
  17. W

2018 Gulf Island Reports

Yeah, I’d be interested too. We were at Tent Island today and found nothing. We released one undersized. Got a few crabs by the Crofton ramp though...
  18. W

2018 Gulf Island Reports

There seemed to be lots of fish caught around the Gulf Islands last year in April/May but this thread has been pretty quiet this year. Has anyone had any luck around Tent or Porlier lately? I’m thinking of heading up there from Victoria tomorrow, but it’s a long haul if there’s not much happening?
  19. W

Monitor Winds with Navionics App

Thanks for the tip! I’ve been using the Navionics app on an old iPad with a Garmin Glo connected to it for a few years. I’ve used the current and tide functions, but I think the wind forecast must be fairly new.
  20. W

Saltwater Salmon Fishing..the expensive sport....help people out

I’ve bought a lot of used gear cheap at the Swap and Shop at Western Speedway in Langford over the years. Not this time of year, but it will start up again in the spring. There must be something similar around Vancouver? Sure, there is a lot of junk, but also some good deals on gear that...
Back