Search results

1. tincan

DFO Announces further SRKW Restrictions

Without naming names I think there a several people contributing to this thread that would really benefit from hearing this presentation / discussion (from a few years ago) with one of the top salmon minds in BC (Dr. Brian Riddell) and one of the top marine mammal minds in BC (Dr. Andrew Trites...
  2. tincan

Aquaculture; improving????

NEW PSF SALMON RESEARCH INDICATES THAT PATHOGENS ARE 12 TIMES HIGHER NEAR FISH FARMS Fraser River sockeye salmon more likely to carry Tenacibaculum maritimum near open-net salmon farms in the Discovery Islands. FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE May 18, 2022 Vancouver, B.C. — New PSF research indicates that...
  3. tincan

Over the past decade Pacific Salmon Foundation, with DFO and Genome BC, has changed the global understanding of how infectious agents affect the health of wild Pacific salmon. Pacific Salmon Foundation is launching the Salmon Health Program to advance critical research to save wild salmon.
  4. tincan

Group-cuts-30-metre-wide-hole-in-jetty-opens-path-for-salmon-not-seen-in-100-years

hopefully these jetty breaches work out well for salmon. they did 3 in the north arm jetty recently and a handful in the south arm jetty last year. despite the price tag these sort of projects can have major bang for buck. provided access to existing habitat known to be great habitat for...
  5. tincan

wide spread closures for sports fishing and fish farms are VERY different things. Sports Fishing: -Has an impact on adult returning salmon (mostly chinook) to the tune of harvesting 100,000 chinook coastwide each year (plus incidental mortality which we can debate the numbers all day) -Has...
  6. tincan

Herring Fishery

Overall, marine survival over chinook and coho in the SOG is the main issue (bottleneck) that needs to be sorted. Yes, there are some examples of good survival rates here and there for certain years/populations but the overall trend is that these species in the SOG are dying at a higher rate NOW...
  7. tincan

2021 Gulf Island Reports

bump ;) looking to add to this report in the next few days. Will likely be salmon fishing around porlier and elsewhere on the inside.
  8. tincan

2021 JaxonCraft Build Thread

boat's looking great @Bill 310 ! like many, I enjoy these aluminum build threads immensely, learn a lot, and continue to be more and more jealous!
  9. tincan

Herring Fishery

I don't know exactly what to expect as a result of the decreased harvest in herring. I suppose time will tell and I'm open to re-visiting the issue at any time as more results / info is learned. I guess my hope is that by decreasing the herring harvest more diverse populations of herring with...
  10. tincan

Herring Fishery

I'm not taking any sides other than what the science and research suggests is good for salmon. More herring is better for salmon. Less open net pens is better for salmon. The dept has a long history of 'going against direct science/data' and it's historically been thanks to lobbying by industry...
  11. tincan

Herring Fishery

The SSMSP doesn't comment on fisheries policy of any kind, really. Not the intent of the project. I don't want to go around in circles with you on this and, as mentioned, herring are not the silver bullet leading to declining salmon populations. However, a takeaway of the research is that...
  12. tincan

Herring Fishery

since you referenced it, here are the key findings from the SSMSP... and as you can see Herring (and forage fish habitat) are listed several times in the key findings. Not the only issue, of course, but certainly something that the project found worthy of mentioning in the executive summary on...
  13. tincan

Herring Fishery

Sucks for the herring fishermen for sure but I've gotta think given this gov't there will be financial compensation of some sort. Given the SOG herring fishery is the last one remaining on BC's coast it's safe to say the herring fishery as a whole in BC has been managed poorly (shocker!)...
  14. tincan

105 pound Rivers inlet Chinook

I'll bite :) As @hippaisland mentioned we've been up at rivers early august for past several years. I saw both the '105' and your pic of this '85' caught, battled, netted and released and when I saw your '85' caught and released I said to the rest of our boat that if those guys come back to...
  15. tincan

New Fisheries Minister

I'm gonna go ahead and wait at least 15 more minutes before I throw the towel in on the new Minister Joyce Murray. I've attended a few of her breakfast talks in past years where she invites guest speakers and found them quite useful and found Joyce quite candid and thoughtful at those events...
  16. tincan

Salmon need Trees

There's a similar coalition to what's described above happening now with PSF offering to facilitate. However, with Covid it's been delayed. See below for summary: SALMON SUMMIT 2021: Approaching the summit together PSF invites your valued input into the creation of Salmon Summit 2021...
  17. tincan

District of NV Fire Fighters Derby

make sure you tip your guide @hippaisland :) good times out there again. As others have mentioned, I think we are all looking forward to the in-person event next year as the BBQ / awards are always fun times. Great swag bag and prizes again this year so kudos to derby organizers and all those...
  18. tincan

District of NV Fire Fighters Derby

yup, signed up again and hoping for another great day. It's always been a fun event and our boat has managed to do pretty well each year... maybe it's the top secret tack off the cap that I know about ;) (aka donuts among 50 other boats)
  19. tincan

Who gets your vote in the upcoming Federal Election?

Just throwing it out there for those who are concerned about the open net pen salmon farms on BC's coast. pretty sad that only 1 conservative (saanich gulf islands) has pledged to transition from open net pens...
Back