Search results

1. S

Rock slide in Fraser River, B.C., may hinder salmon passage

I saw this also and said WTF. Other than test fisheries what commercial fishing are they talking about? Not much of a leg to stand on with regards to this.
  2. S

There is another thing that came to mind during my restless sleep last night that I forgot to mention. Similar to last year, the counts from the Churn Creek sonar site are going to be compared to sonars located in terminal areas like Chilko and the Stellako. Chilko Sockeye can represent more...
  3. S

It’s because of the high water levels right now. I can assure you it’s not because there are other motives. You can operate ARIS and DIDSON sonars in light to even moderate turbid conditions because it uses sound so having some turbidity is no big deal, BUT excessive sediment load can overwhelm...
  4. S

I echo what GLG said. It was a much different picture back then. To set up that infrastructure is no little feat. It’s more than just a pump shooting fish. With water levels the way they were and access to that area it was not a good option at the time. However since then they have made that...
  5. S

Sonar monitoring hasn’t started yet. Covid has had an impact. But should be underway in May. Covid is the new reality at the moment and it has created some significant logistical issues for field work. It’s not just business as usual. Lots of considerations. Need to keep everyone safe.
  6. S

Whenever I read the Tyee I take it with a grain of salt. Although I agree this is a multi-year endeavour, I think it’s a bit premature to say there’s not going to be any natural passage until it’s monitored with hydro acoustics in-season including the sonars located at some of the terminal areas...
  7. S

They are doing well and slated for release by the fall (fall smolts). Sorry I can’t comment on some release strategies vs others but I’m sure it’s seen as better for their survival.
  8. S

Although great progress was made this will unlikely be “fixed” completely after this winter. At least not until the fish passage rates and river discharges can be monitored this year and even the following year. People should prepare themselves to see this as a multi year endeavour rather than a...
  9. S

This waterfall was pretty significant though. With some of the footage shown with the drone the drop doesn’t look too bad but when you put some scale to it then it’s a whole different picture. Hydroacoustic monitoring (Big Bar, Churn Creek, Chilko, Quesnel and Stellako) overlaid with Fraser...
  10. S

While I agree with your pointing the finger more at the doom that was happening independently of the slide I don’t believe we should take the foot off the pedal with addressing the passage issue at the slide. One year of bad escapement is not great but 2 years in a row could be a nail in the...
  11. S

With regards to 2019 Fraser Sockeye (all run timing groups) that is false. Look no further than the Late Run escapements which primarily spawned downstream of the slide. Late Run in 2019 was lowest on record for any year. The slide is a big factor that can have long lasting impacts if the...
  12. S

Research suggests DFO worsened impact of salmon fishery crisis

Before reading Unifor’s take on the data in the report I encourage members to read at least the abstract to see what the report is really saying. Not surprised by the industry response in the news article as they are advocating for their sector but when you read the study they refer to it paints...
  13. S

As humorous as this cartoon is the reality is that there will be hungry bears upstream of this slide. This will make it very difficult for escapement enumeration as bears will likely snatch what salmon they can off the spawning grounds before they have a chance to spawn....or consume any carcass...
  14. S

I read your post....it’s conflating. Political gain? Nothing to do with the slide. Fish farms? Nothing to do with the slide. The Fraser Panel update on the PSC website provides a picture of how passable this slide area is. You say wrong it’s not a complete blockage, that it’s all BS? Well, it...
  15. S

Seems like there is a lot of conflating going on here, in my opinion. You have your beefs with the department with fisheries management and the slide. Two separate issues. Fish farms, which many here dislike with a passion, didn’t cause thousands and thousands of cubic metres of rock to fall...
  16. S

No drone footage that I’m aware of but needless to say I would say that there would be many holding immediately downstream of the slide. But this can’t last for long as they only have so much energy for migration. As for numbers of salmon that have made it past the slide.....the website provided...
  17. S

Calm areas are not necessarily great acoustic sites. Before the slide those areas immediately above the slide (like French Bar) could have probably been good. However, after the slide, it backed up the water more where it almost resembles a lake. In those situations, Sockeye can potentially...
  18. S

What are you doing right now at Big Bar to assist?
  19. S

Could be the only thing holding up that side from falling in like the other side did already.
Back