Search results

1. B

Where are Sunshine Coast Cleaning Tables

Hi Folks As part of ongoing PIT tag research (https://www.survivalbottlenecks.ca/) we are conducting scans of the outfalls of cleaning tables looking for tags that washed out of harvested fish (they last indefinitely if not crushed). We will shortly be scanning tables on the Sunshine Coast and...
  2. B

Wanted, Barkley Marine "Qualicum" oar (7'6")

Hi, Broke the blade of one of the tyee boat oars. Anyone have one of these old spoon blade oars hiding in a garage. If not would also be interested in purchasing alternative pair of 7'6 or 8' traditional wood oars. Thanks!
  3. B

Egg bearing shrimp release?

As I read the regs the requirement to release egg bearing females is specific to prawn (read spot prawn) and does not extend to the various shrimp species that are sometimes encountered in traps (coon stripe shrimp, dock shrimp and pink shrimp). This would make sense as the commercial fishery...
  4. B

Cheanuh Marina Shout Out

We were doing some fishing out of Cheanuh Marina in the rain and misery last Sunday. We arrived on site and realized we forgot the chartplotter... leaving us using a cell phone with Navionics to avoid hitting bottom with the gear. The cell phone did not have the jam to last the day in the...
  5. B

Where to find shakers in Southern Gulf Islands in Winter

Hello All, I am part of a research program that is studying survival of juvenile Chinook and Coho Salmon in the Strait of Georgia. As part of this program we are using hook and line to sample and tag juvenile Chinook and Coho during the winter. We are interested in locations where small (less...
  6. B

Prawn trap kit

Was chatting to some guys at the launch who had good looking Bauer style prawn traps. They said they had built them from a kit you can buy from a Nanaimo company for about $40.... I figured I would be able to find details online but I can't see anything. Anyone have the info on this?
  7. B

Thinking of selling 2012 Merc 50

Hey Guys, Thinking of repower and trying to decide if it is worth it. Wondering what I can get for my existing motor. Would $1500 be reasonable? The good: 2012 or 13 model year 4 stroke Starts reliably and runs well Freshwater flush after use Regular oil and filter changes, water pump last...
  8. B

Point holmes launch

What are the tide height thresholds for launching and retrieving. I understand not great on either very low or very high. How high is too high? Thanks Will
  9. B

Hooks for Shimano Fall Flat

After the rave reviews I bought a couple of shimano fall flat jigs and have been giving it a go. I am hitting fish but the hooked to landed ratio is appalling. The small hooks that come on these jigs (2 singles attached by braid) don't inspire too much confidence with the barb pinched. What do...
  10. B

Fish on board without license holder

I frequently pick my wife and kids up from the beach close to where I am fishing to save them a longer run in an open boat from the launch. Then I drop them off and head home. If I have their filled out licenses with me is it legal for me to have their 1 salmon or ling cod with me in the cooler...
  11. B

Help finding resident herring for research

Hi All, I am involved in a project investigating factors influencing whether Herring are resident in the Strait of Georgia as adults or migrate to the outer coast. As part of this project we need to find aggregations of resident herring (Defined as adult - 15 cm or greater - herring which are...
  12. B

WTB parts for 50 HP mercury EFI 2012/13 era

I am looking for a flywheel and a cowling. And would probably take some other bits and pieces if I could find a parts motor. Also interested if anyone has contact info for parts guys who deal in mercury motors this size. I had a magnet drop off the flywheel and smash and could not stomach a...
  13. B

DFO regulation definitions

After reading the post below in the Victoria Reports thought it might be worth having a separate thread to discuss: porcupine said: Those squat lobsters are a member of the crab family and the daily limit is 4 per person. I have spoken with DFO many times about this and have tried to get the...
  14. B

Thoughts on low hours 2007 yamaha 115

Thinking of buying. I know the Yamahas have good reputation.. but that some vintages had issues. Anyone have experience with this era? Between 300 and 400 hours... so the pot ential exists that it sat a while without use.
  15. B

Juvenile Sablefish in Discovery Passage

Fishing Green Sea Bay for Chum last weekend caught this little guy on an Anchovy. A first for me. Has anyone else caught juvenile Sablefish on the inside?
  16. B

UVic Salmon Diet Study: Update

Hi Folks! This program began with a post on this forum back in 2016. https://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?threads/recreational-salmon-diet-monitoring-program.64885/ Now here we are more than 1400 Chinook and Coho salmon stomachs later with growing participation, great partners, and...
  17. B

WTB Mercury 50 hp efi (2012) parts

Looking for a flywheel (or just the magnet from one) and a cowling. Anyone have a line on one of these or similar being parted out? Want to see if I can squeeze a few more hours out of the black anchor
  18. B

Terminal Fisheries for Big Fish

There has been some criticism of the Tyee Club posted... in the interest of getting this discussion out of the very popular annual Tyee Club thread here is a venue. In my opinion the Tyee Club is about as good as it gets from the point of conservation. A fishery that kills very few fish...
  19. B

Is the Cowichan Clear?

Thinking of a drift from town to Skutz, anything new and dangerous this winter? Anyone been drifting recently? Thanks
  20. B

Tyee Club Rowing Rod

For you rowers out there, any advice on the best and/or most economical currently available rod for fishing in the pool. Obviously needs to be under 9 feet... and sensitive, but with backbone. Any thoughts appreciated.
Back