Search results

1. harper44

Mounts for diy tower build

I use Pier Supply out of tennessee to buy taco metals parts, they ship quick via ups. Keep in mind that most of the aluminium pieces you'll buy from taco or Atlantic tower. are pre-anodised and they're meant to be used with pre-anodised pipe when building towers etc. if you use raw aluminium...
  2. harper44

Tuna, 2018 - it won't be long

This. Colder water temps on the banks make for harder temp and chloro breaks on the edge, hope we get the weather to go hunting!
  3. harper44

Bamfield halibut in September?

Plenty of halibut to be caught inshore and offshore from Bamfield any time the season is open.
  4. harper44

Swordfish seen off the Brooks Peninsula

We are hyper-aware of the fact that the ocean is warming and therefore relate even the most insignificant sign of such as a dramatic indicator of what the future holds or of the impact the changing sea is having on its inhabitants. Swordfish have been spotted by commercial tuna fisherman dating...
  5. harper44

Achieving Sashimi Grade Salmon at Home

"Sashimi-grade" is just a marketing term, there are no standard metrics for which fish are graded on their suitability to be eaten raw. Fish markets use the term to describe fish that are processed and stored in a manner to reduce the possibility of parasites. The FDA sets out some guidelines...
  6. harper44

Getting your dog in and out of the boat question

https://dogonwaterramp.com/ A little spendy but a pretty cool idea. Was gonna get one last year for our dog but ended up just hauling him up by the lifejacket. he's only 55lbs so maybe a little easier than your lab.
  7. harper44

Seabeam Lodge

Yeah who's gonna stop it? Victoria? lol
  8. harper44

Boat shipper

$8500 doesn't seem bad to me, i've used Flynn before and highly recommend Caj and his guys.
  9. harper44

25 Carolina Classic

Moved up to a 28 ;)
  10. harper44

Transport service from East coast to Seattle?

Just used Caj Flynn (Flynn Marine) to move my new 28'er from NJ to Blaine. They were great to work with, delivered on time and at the price agreed upon. Couldn't be happier
  11. harper44

25 Carolina Classic

Hell of a boat, my old 25 made a lot of Canyon trips chasing tuna, no boat in that class I'd rather be in offshore when the weather kicks up. GLWS
  12. harper44

Barkley Sound

Mills Landing in Bamfield, the cabins have kitchens and the grocery store is just a short walk down the boardwalk. Great fish processing facilities, packing and freezing and awesome ice.
  13. harper44

2017 Tuna Adventures

Was awesome to see everyone getting in on the action with big fish out there on Friday. Not sure who this Hawkins guy is and I don't know why he's trolling you guys but the numbers we got last week were shared freely with all sporties and commies and it's all good, there was plenty of fish to go...
  14. harper44

2017 Tuna Adventures

On the way in from our shootout recon trip, the fish are here and they're big! Last fish we caught was ~50nm from the beach in 64 deg blue water. Still a lot of fish down deep on the sounder as well. It's only going to get better.
  15. harper44

2017 Tuna Adventures

I think the term horse mackerel is often used to describe large macks of whatever variety in the pacific. Hard to tell in that pic but doesn't look like a bonito. The thread from Nog is interesting, I've never seen bonito up here but the research says they're as far north as north island. They...
  16. harper44

2017 Tuna Adventures

Please post a pic. Don't know of any Skipjack tuna aka Bonito caught this far north. They look nothing like any kind of Mackeral I've ever seen (there are about 20 different species of mackeral in the pacific IIRC) so a pic would definitely shed some light on the situation.
  17. harper44

2017 Tuna Adventures

What? did I post on commercialfishingbc.com by accident? My post (nor this forum or thread) has nothing to do with commercial tuna fishing. I posted a working theory that is backed up by reports from sport fishing boats south of the border that are seeing similar conditions to us. There are...
  18. harper44

2017 Tuna Adventures

Consensus from boats south of the border (and some here) is that the fish are deep, feeding on shrimp, probably 200' or so. it's a fairly common phenomenon with migratory pelagics, there happens to be an abundance of prey at that depth so they stick around there. A change in technique may be...
  19. harper44

2016 Bamfield Tuna Shootout

Sorry guys, been crazy trying to get back to the real world. Write-up coming soon.... #1. Charlie Cat #2. Dak #3. Fifth Element
Back