Search results

1. S

Low holing by Alaska's salmon ranchers

See - "Productivity and life history of sockeye salmon in relation to competition with pink and sockeye salmon in the North Pacific Ocean" Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, Volume 72, Number 6, June 2015. I don't know if this paper has been discussed before so I apologize if...
  2. S

Tuna, 2018 - it won't be long

Terrafin is showing the warm water "highway" starting to show up. It looks like we have a good connection all the way up to the S end of the Juan de Fuca Canyon. Sport caught albacore were had off of Charleston Oregon on 6/19 (https://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=1562359) . So in 1-2...
  3. S

New bragging rights thread...

Too soon?
  4. S

Seattle Boat Show 2018 Jan 26-Feb 3rd

Anyone coming down for this? I'll be there most of the day on Sat. the 27th. I'd be happy to catch lunch and beers with any from the SFBC crowd.
  5. S

Seattle Boat Show 2017

Anyone coming down for the Seattle Boat Show? It opened this past Friday and runs through this Saturday (Feb. 4th). I hit it for awhile on Friday night and will probably return on Sat the 4th. There's usually good deals to be had on tackle on the last day of the show as some vendors would...
  6. S

It's looking like tuna could be early this year

The Terafin shots are already showing a band of reasonably warm water off the coast from N. Cali to just shy of WCVI. This pattern is about 3 weeks earlier than previous years. So who will be the first SFBC tuna catcher? Birdsnest? Sculpin? I'm on travel for the first 2-3 weeks of June but...
  7. S

Scotty Downriggers with too much braid on the spool - warning!

I just got my downrigger back from the local service and thought I'd relate something that I learned recently. The spool was warped and it wasn't operating smoothly. When I called Scotty tech support and described the problem, the first thing they asked was "How much cable do you have on?". I...
  8. S

Self assessment of environmental impact

See http://www.bcbusiness.ca/natural-resources/the-problem-with-self-regulated-environmental-assessments- "As capital investment in B.C.’s natural resource sector grows, the role of environmental assessments has become critical to a project’s viability. A negative assessment can mean the death...
  9. S

2015 Port Renfrew and Swiftsure Reports

Did I miss the 2015 Renfrew thread? If so delete this one, if not, let's get one started. I'll be out on Swiftsure this weekend. Probably will fish the US side on Saturday and the BC side on Sunday (when the early AM tide looks like it will allow a couple of hours of jigging for hali before...
  10. S

Silence of the Labs

Scientists across the country are expressing growing alarm that federal cutbacks to research programs monitoring areas that range from climate change and ocean habitats to public health will deprive Canadians of crucial information. “What’s important is the scale of the assault on knowledge...
  11. S

Learn how to use that radar and go slow in the fog - FL man sets and example.

See this link and this link. 1200HP can get you pretty far up the beach.
  12. S

Seattle Boat Show - Friday Jan 23 - Sat. Jan 31

So who all is going to the boat show in Seattle? A couple of years ago, we did a SFBC get together for lunch at a brewery near the exhibition hall. I'd be happy to set such a thing up again if there's interest.
  13. S

Limoncello

Last night I finished up making a 1.5l batch of Limoncello. It came out great and it's really simple: Take a 750ml bottle of a clear alcohol - I used 151 proof Everclear. Peel the yellow part of the skin off of 4-6 lemons - you want just the oily yellow part and none (or very little) of the...
  14. S

Fishing in Thailand

Just booked a trip to Thailand for late March. Does anyone on the forum have any experience fishing over there? My plans are pretty open so I could go anyplace in the country where the fishing might be decent (especially if there is a beach nearby where my wife can plant herself).
  15. S

Pigs in Sannich inlet

Did anyone else see this news - http://www.livescience.com/48480-what-happens-to-dead-body-in-ocean.html ? Here's a snippet to peak your interest. So if you get there quick enough after a drop of hers, you can now fish for ham in the Sannich inlet. ;)
  16. S

Albies - Troll or keep looking?

I may have asked this question before but if I did, I can't remember the answer. Last week on Thurs, I went tuna fishing out of Neah Bay. It's often a long run out of Neah to get to good tuna water but it can be pretty productive. For me a good tuna trip usually involves the following elements -...
  17. S

Andrews Spoon

18. S

Another regulations question

For area 121 the regs read "Effective Feb. 1, 2014 to Dec. 31, 2014, no person shall fish for or retain halibut, rockfish and lingcod in Area 121 outside the 12 nautical mile limit seaward of a line that begins at 48°34.00’N and 125°17.386’W and continues south easterly at a bearing of 116°...
  19. S

Stevetson Marine and Hardware and PNT Stevetson

Guys - I'm planning to come up tomorrow to get my BC fishing license and to make some tackle purchases. In the past I've done the license at Stevetson Marine and Hardware. I usually pick up some tackle there and at PNT. Since I want to be able to hali fish in area 121, I have to get it in...
  20. S

10 million scallops are dead; Qualicum company lays off staff

See - http://www.pqbnews.com/news/247092381.html. "Saunders said the carbon dioxide levels have increased dramatically in the waters of the Georgia Strait, forcing the PH levels to 7.3 from their norm of 8.1 or 8.2."
Back