Search results

1. A

2020 Port Renfrew Reports

No, there's a notice on a fisheries page that says clearly that we cannot recreate across the border, including boating, fishing, etc. In year's past, I've enjoy the Pt. Renfrew nearshore fishery for my girls that have seasickness issues, and the Neah Bay shoreline closes at the end of July for...
  2. A

No Chinook for us on the bank on the US side over the weekend. Checked in with a number of boats out there and nada. Maybe better for the Canadian boats, but we were sure disappointed after some good reports from a few days ago. Coho were really small still. 4-5 pounds.
  3. A

Curious to hear about Swiftsure picking up. Was out on the US side in early July and it was dismal. Are people getting mostly coho? They were pretty small when I was out there and I didn't feel like weeding through a bunch of wilds for an occasional hatchery. Our quota for coho is very small...
  4. A

I wouldn't fret too much about the limit as I was out there a week ago on the US side and there were NO CHINOOK to be found. I made several stops in different parts of the bank. Only a few wild dinky coho. Bait was extremely sparse and the whales were way west. Maybe it'll turn on but by...
  5. A

2019 Port Renfrew Reports

Is the 80 cm max size also going to be in place on Swiftsure, Area 121? I'm bummed... was really hoping to catch just one big fish to bring home and was planning on fishing Pt. Renfrew next week.
  6. A

2019 Kyuquot Reports

That's a beauty there! Nice work!!!
  7. A

I just noticed no more max size for Chinook in Area 121. Did I read that right? Anyone else see it on DFO website?
  8. A

Slot limit announced....

Ok, I'm from the US and haven't really looked at the regs closely because typically when I'm fishing in BC I'm not keeping anything that isn't well over the minimum size for Chinook. But, with the maximum size limit now, I have a question. The regs say a fish length is, "The distance measured...
  9. A

Yep, that was them. I know they are supposed to be deepwater fish, and it was CRAZY, but they literally were everywhere, including eating krill right at the surface! We thought they were true cod but there was no barbel. Quite shiny/irridescent when you catch them but they turn dark after...
  10. A

Yes, sablefish. They hit lures on the surface before we could set the downriggers. They hit at 60', 100', 200'... you get the picture. Place was lousy with them. We fried some up in panko and it was pretty tasty. But, they have a row of bones right in the middle of the fillet, kind of like...
  11. A

I was out Saturday/Sunday on Swiftsure. I experienced the larger than typical chinook, too. Only one 10 pounder and the rest were bigger. We were right along the southwest side of the border and closure area. When it opens in a couple of weeks, the boats out of Pt Renfrew should have plenty...
  12. A

ah... thanks! Guess my halibut season this year in WA will just be halibut-only instead of also a trip to Swiftsure for a shot an early salmon.
  13. A

Is anyone fishing Swiftsure yet? Or is it too early? Swiftsure is open, correct? Or did I interpret the map with the ovals hand drawn on it incorrectly?
  14. A

2018 Port Renfrew Reports

Thanks, yeah I figured the coho wouldn't be too difficult to find. Probably the biggest challenge will be getting clipped fish.
  15. A

Is anyone still fishing Swiftsure? If so, still getting chinook out there?
  16. A

Sockeye on the way

I'll be fishing the US side of Haro Strait because I'm playing charter boat captain for relatives (can't fish Canadian side)... anyone see schools of the sox congregating in the middle there or maybe even toward San Juan Is? What should I be looking for as signs of schools since they wouldn't...
  17. A

That looks like a BLAST! My kids would love doing that. They get really bored just trolling for salmon so I promised them I'd let them fish for rockfish. I've only fished along the beach there and didn't really notice kelp beds. Are there kelp beds west from the Camper Creek area? I noticed...
  18. A

Thanks for the report. Was on the fence about making a run out there next weekend but it seemed just a tad early. Might wait a couple more weeks to save the $$$. Are there any nearshore halibut areas that aren't affected by the closure (west of Renfrew)? The spots I've fished before are now...
  19. A

So, I was planning on a trip up from the US in a couple of weeks, but it looks like even west of Port Renfrew will be closed along the beach as of June 1? Am I understanding that right?
  20. A

Preliminary 2018 salmon outlook/Forecast/Management Measures

searun-- they knew where they were... there was about 80 WA-based boats doing the same troll that was toward the property line. So we set up about 2 miles away and trolled till we were close, then pick up and run back. There were 2 or 3 Canadian charters. They did the run over and over with...
Back