Search results

1. ziggy

Southern Resident Whales - New Study Released Nature, Extinction in 75-100 years

You only need to google the footage of the capture in Penn Cove to know what’s happening. These pods are subject to inbreeding caused by removal of breeding stock. The Northern salmon eating whales are doing fine so I have doubts that in a species that ranges from Northern California to South...
  2. ziggy

FN0294 FishingBC App Catch Log will now Sync to Your License and is a Valid Record, even when Offline

This is to me even better. If it becomes a step to getting a new license, everyone provides the info to get a license. Plus you are not providing any info to third parties, you are giving your info to an organization that already has it. ( you’re renewing) This would get over reluctance to share...
  3. ziggy

FN0294 FishingBC App Catch Log will now Sync to Your License and is a Valid Record, even when Offline

I don’t understand why they don’t ask for all the info stored on your license at the end of the year? For example number of Halibut, Lings and Springs. Been saying this for years but DFO doesn’t seem interested.
  4. ziggy

2024 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Anchored for halibut this morning prior to the wind coming up. Only managed to get one small halibut that I was going to release . My brand new Gibbs Spreader bar did it for me when the clip snapped. First time in the water and lesson learned, replace the clip on the leader side. Good thing it...
  5. ziggy

Needless Paranoia by suggesting it’s good to have an option?
  6. ziggy

Sorry I didn’t realize DFO handled the security for the BC Fishing App, odd it has its own security regs? Is the info I provided DFO accessible by those who run the BC Fishing APP? Funny they ask for permission to Link? Anyway back to the topic.
  7. ziggy

Yeah, but that’s no reason to simply pump it out to anyone who asks for it. You can still protect or limit who has access to it.
  8. ziggy

Some will be comfortable putting personal data online, others won’t. Good to see there is a choice. Read the security policy before deciding.
  9. ziggy

2024 Halibut Fisheries Notice

Is the size issue, of mostly smaller fish, North America Coast wide? Does it impact the North Coast and Alaska to the same degree,or are there more larger fish still up there? Just wondering if it is because of a migration life cycle or does it hit all areas the same?
  10. ziggy

Yeah, that was us. I looked at going on the inside of the lanes but it looked pretty shallow. I can see where you’d be in the lee of the current.
  11. ziggy

I was out there as well just outside the shipping lanes and only managed a few dogfish. Was surprised at how fast the current was in the morning and we pretty much couldn’t get to bottom until later in the morning. Ended up snagging on bottom a couple of times, but no halibut luck. I find...
  12. ziggy

2024 Halibut Fisheries Notice

Is it only Halibut that have the slot limit printed “as a condition of license”? I know government works in mysterious ways but it seems strange they would take away a useful tool like fish size from those managing the catch. Have they ever explained why they did this? Just curious.
  13. ziggy

WTB 2lb cylinder weights and 2lb round weights.

Old thread but I’m looking for some 2lb Hali weights after todays outing. Prefer Saanich Peninsula or close by.
  14. ziggy

Export A Salmon Shootout

Sorry showdown had a tuna moment
  15. ziggy

Export A Salmon Shootout

I recently acquired a small duffle bag from the “Export A Salmon Shootout” looks pretty much new but I doubt cigarette companies are still sponsoring things nowadays. Any info?
  16. ziggy

Getting back onboard... and survival.

I remember doing Liferaft Drill where we had to pull guys out of the water and into the raft. To just pull them out was hard even with a couple of people working it. What we were told to do is push the guy down into the water and let the lifejacket bouyancy pop him up and in one motion drag him...
  17. ziggy

Coop marked gas with ethanol.

I can see your point, however already Co Op and Columbia fuels, who I believe receive fuel from Parklands Refinery have said it’s no longer available. Also while I can see there might be exceptions to the “Clean air Act” I can’t see something like like Rec boating being exempt at least for...
  18. ziggy

I think the tough part will be finding a wholesale supplier of ethanol free fuel. Surely it will become a specialty product and you know what that means.🤷‍♂️
  19. ziggy

I think all fuel in BC must now contain a minimum amount of Ethanol. 5% minimum for gas and 4% for diesel.
Back