Search results

1. fishchaser

2020 Ucluelet Reports

Starfish was on fire yesterday, we released at least a dozen mid teens before getting our limit of 20 pound plus Springers. Couldn't keep the teeners off our spoons so we swapped to the tried and true Tomic Tubby 507 and 600. Spoons also worked pretty well at Turtle Head Saturday. No need to...
  2. fishchaser

When do you toss your old flashers?? I have a problem.

Spray them with WD-40, keeps them fresh and like new as well as lubricates to swivels. I have flashers that are 25 years old that I still bring out when none of the new UV schemes are working. Some times it helps to go old school when nothing else is working.
  3. fishchaser

Direct Correlation: Boats Get Bigger as Fishing Opportunities Get Smaller?

I think its more age related and financially able more than anything else. I know that as I get older the boats get larger as I like more creature comforts and as the family gets larger from the kids getting married and having their own kids that go with us. Boating to us is a lifestyle were...
  4. fishchaser

Eagles in trees

A few years back before the Rock Fish moratorium we were jigging rockfish and ling cod so fast we were taking them off the hook and tossing them to the rear transom until we reached our limit and we actually had a bald eagle drop in and snatch a nice Irish Red out of the boat. I never heard of...
  5. fishchaser

Ucluelet Nubie Question

Easy places close buy the inlet are Little Beach just north of Amphitrite light house as well as Way point. For some reason we always do better at Little Beach on spoons and hearing at Way.
  6. fishchaser

Thinking about mooring in Ucuelet

At this point if you don't have reservations for that length of time at Island West you will have to use the Government docks. Considerably cheaper than Island west however there is no assigned moorage, first come first serve. This mean you will more than likely be mooring at different spots or...
  7. fishchaser

2020 Ucluelet Reports

Black Gold, yummy
  8. fishchaser

Smoking Halibut

We prefer to smoke our halibut and have been doing so for years. We use the same dry brine as our smoked salmon and leave it in the brine for 18 to 24 hours. After rinsing we then let the halibut soak in pineapple juice for a couple hours to help it bring in a little extra flavor. We have found...
  9. fishchaser

Drifting for Hali near Bamfield

If I was not able to anchor I would troll a 4 to 6 inch hoochie (Glow white or Brown Turd) slowly 60 inches or longer behind a glow or UV flasher. I like trolling as close to the bottom I can get, even bounce the downrigger ball randomly to make sure I am on the bottom. This will work for...
  10. fishchaser

New to West Coast

I discourage the tactic of catch and release in closed areas. Many of the salmon caught that are bleeding, gut or gill hook are going to die anyway. Catch and release is a great approach when fishing in retention areas are open. I also encourage the Salmon stamp, its not like a useless tax, the...
  11. fishchaser

Voltage tuning your boat.

I was a firm believer in currents put out by boats helped improve or reduce fish numbers. The old saying some boats catch fish others don't. But after switching from the old stainless downrigger cable to the new braided line I think the problem has been eliminated. Braided line does not conduct...
  12. fishchaser

Tips For Bringing Little Ones Out

I always included my daughter in the activities of running the boat and helping with getting my gear ready to fish. At the earliest age possible have them sit on your lap and steer for you while trolling or even under way if weather permits. It wont be long before they are sitting up and...
  13. fishchaser

Fish pics for the isolated

We troll for the Mahi between 6 and 8 MPH with bright colored squid hoochie type lures similar to those used for marlin and sailfish. We also catch Tuna and Wahoo while fishing with them.
  14. fishchaser

Fish pics for the isolated

A great day in Bali, Indonesia
  15. fishchaser

Shark cannon balls

Does anyone else use the blow back to help judge a best speed to troll getting the best results for the gear being trolled? I used to use the humming sound coming from the stainless steel down rigger cable however with the braided lines there is no more humming. Over time I have discovered that...
  16. fishchaser

Are trap buoys without names free game?

Just as an FYI, US Coast Guard Registered boats do not require registration numbers shown anywhere visible on the boat. We do however have to have the name of our boat in clear view and our Coast Guard registration documentation updated and available for inspection is boarded.
  17. fishchaser

Are trap buoys without names free game?

I would imagine that if you or anyone else pulled a noncompliant trap of any type and happened to be witnessed by WFO you the current trap possessor would be liable and get a ticket. Its like getting pulled over by a police and find an open beer, good luck trying to convince them its not yours...
  18. fishchaser

Cyclone Flasher.

Looks to me like this flasher was designed to catch fishermen not fish. Does anyone actually want to increase the drag on their gear? No thank you, plugs and hearing work just fine.
  19. fishchaser

Howe Sound Tanner crab?

We catch them in the San Juan islands regularly, per WDFW they range from Alaska to Oregon https://wdfw.wa.gov/species-habitats/species/chionoecetes-bairdi http://nwsportsmanmag.com/how-to-catch-tanner-crabs-in-the-san-juan-islands/
  20. fishchaser

Howe Sound Tanner crab?

Sure looks like it, not uncommon in 200 to 400 feet of water and as deep as 600 feet.
Back