Search results

1. searun

Conservative Blaine Calkins Hunting & Fishing Town Hall - March 26

If anyone is interested in hearing more about how the Conservatives view hunting and fishing issues, I found this upcoming Town Hall event. I have spent some quality time with Blaine and he is very well informed on fisheries issues. There's a link to the event details attached FYI. Join us for...
  2. searun

New Pinniped Study - harbour seals consume 46−59% of juvenile Coho Salmon

Quantifying impacts of harbor seal Phoca vitulina predation on juvenile Coho Salmon in the Strait of Georgia, British Columbia Benjamin W. Nelson, Murdoch K. McAllister, Andrew W. Trites, Austen C. Thomas, Carl J. Walters First published: 14 February 2024 LINK to study =...
  3. searun

Diawa DC 375 counter mooching reels

I have 5 classic Diawa DC 375 depth counter reels I have been saving for many years. They are in excellent condition. The counters work great. Will part with them for $75 each. They are perfect for jigging - the counters really help you to zero in on specific depths to line up with bait on...
  4. searun

Economic, Social, Cultural value of Tidal Recreational Fishing

Another interesting study on the economic benefits of tidal recreational fisheries from NOAA. Verifies the same results we see from the Province of BC - Stats BC report on 2016 Fisheries and Aquaculture Sector. Both point to tremendous economic, social and cultural benefits to be derived from...
  5. searun

Your best "go to" hoochie

The fishing season is now in full swing, and like everyone else I'm finishing off getting gear ready to roll. Lots of negative news stuff going on in the world, so I thought for fun it would be a great distraction to get folks to post their best "go to" hoochie. Would be neat to get a cross...
  6. searun

Help finding rubber flooring for boat

Been looking around for a nice flooring option without breaking the bank. Hoping to find rubber product that won't slip around, is easy to install and also remove as necessary to clean the floor from time to time. Curious if anyone has found a BC supplier. Looked at this stuff, but the...
  7. searun

Ocean conditions improved in 2021

Some may find this both interesting and possibly heartening to see ocean conditions were ranked 2nd best in last 24 years - this could bode well for a number of salmon which are currently struggling under what was the warm blob...
  8. searun

Multi-function display advice

Hoping for some advice from folks who have been there done that. I'm podding and re-powering my Grady 265 Express this year. So that means an opportunity to move up to fly-by-wire controls and also re-jig my dash display. I'm going to run twin Suzuki 300's, and hoping to have all my engine...
  9. searun

Tidal Chum Fishery Closes - Non Retention

Category(s): RECREATIONAL - Salmon Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada Subject: FN1129-RECREATIONAL - Salmon: Chum - Areas 11, 111, 12 to 20, 28, 121, 123 to 127 and Subareas 29-1 to 29-5, 29-8 - Non-retention - Effective October 27, 2021 The Chum Salmon return to Southern...
  10. searun

SRKW - New Research Findings on Prey Availability

https://cdnsciencepub.com/doi/full/10.1139/cjfas-2020-0445 The decline of southern resident killer whales (Orcinus orca) may be due to a shortage of prey, but there is little data to test this hypothesis. We compared the availability of prey (Chinook salmon, Oncorhynchus tshawytscha) sought by...
  11. searun

Court Decision - AK ordered to reduce Salmon Harvest

https://wildfishconservancy.org/federal-court-finds-noaa2019s-harvest-mitigation-proposal-violated-endangered-species-act-protections-for-wild-chinook-and-southern-resident-killer-whales Interesting Federal Court decision ordering AK harvest of Chinook - upshot is this ruling could pass more...
  12. searun

Halibut Daily Limit Increase

Seems this was posted on an old thread and people are missing or not noticing the change and opportunity. As background, in March, the SFAB and DFO requested a special meeting of the IPHC to secure a provision to allow Canada to increase the daily halibut retention to 3 fish under 90cm as a...
  13. searun

Fishery Related Incidental Mortality Webinar - May 27th

Survival of Pacific salmon released or escaped from fisheries capture on May 27th Our next webinar “Survival of Pacific salmon released or escaped from fisheries capture” with Dr. Scott Hinch, Professor & Director of the Pacific Salmon Ecology and Conservation Laboratory at the Department of...
  14. searun

Interesting 1980 Commercial Landing Stats

My wife came across some of my dad's stuff in the crawl space, and found a BC Catch Statistics by Area/Gear from DFO Pacific Region for 1980. Some interesting fun facts. Would be interesting to fast forward to compare 1980 to 2020 or 2019....anyone have that data so we can do some interesting...
  15. searun

New Lingcod Limits for Outside Ling

The new outside lingcod limits have been improved - increase from 2 to 3 daily. Possession limit is twice daily limit. This decision following a good discussion between SFAB and DFO. Stocks are healthy, and YE populations are assessed as improving. The main reason for lowering Lingcod limits...
  16. searun

New still in wrapper Scotty 1106 Riggers

I have 2 brand new, never fished Scotty 1106 long boom riggers. Steel wire rigged - $450 each - price is firm.
  17. searun

Cleaning out few new and used Rods

Looking around the shop and found a few rods I have had sitting around for a while. Time to clear out to a new home where they will be used. 1 - Brand New - Angler ss 6605 MHC 10 foot 6 inch salmon/steelhead trigger grip handle = $125 1 - Brand New - Trophy TC6105C Custom Series 10 foot 6 inch...
  18. searun

Cormorant Predator Control - approved

https://www.chinookobserver.com/news/local/bigger-cormorant-kill-ok-by-feds/article_68009490-4923-11eb-a434-63fea809b88f.html
  19. searun

We have learned nothing from East Coast Cod Crisis

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/northern-cod-rebuilding-plan-dfo-1.5856369 28 Years of Managing through applying fishery restrictions while avoiding addressing the real reasons behind stock declines and Canada is no further ahead in rebuilding East Coast Cod. Apparently...
  20. searun

SFI Conference - links to presentations

December 11, 2020 - A reminder that if you were not able to attend our conference sessions through November or you wanted to review portions of a webinar, it is not too late. All proceedings are archived on the SFI website. And, as you'll see below, our 2021 SFI Big Spring Raffle launches...
Back