Search results

1. A

PY Marine?

Sorry, I'm a little out of the loop. I called PY Marine in Port Alberni and apparently they're permanently closed. Anybody know what happened and when they closed? Thanks Dave
  2. A

Pancake Weights for Sale

Some guys love them, some guys hate them. I've taken four on trade for balls. I thought I'd see if anyone wants them before I melt them down. 3 X 13lb GIBBS $26 each 1 X 15lb weight, a little fatter with large ss fin $30 Located in Chemainus Dave
  3. A

Has Anyone Fished for Burbot?

I'm currently working in northern BC and have weekends off. A few of us were going to try to ice fish for burbot. I have no idea how deep to start or what bait to use. I've checked out some videos on YouTube to get a rough idea. Just wondering if anyone has had any regular success. I know the...
  4. A

Looking for Lead

Ok, long shot here. I'm looking to purchase 6000 pounds of lead for the upcoming season. All of my usual sources and scrap dealers are coming up empty. It seems Alberni foundry guy is snapping everything up. So, if anyone has a supply they are willing to part with, please let me know. Personal...
  5. A

Boat on Highway

Anybody know who's boat that was laying on the highway Thursday evening? It was a large welded aluminum, about 26 to 28 feet, rusty red in colour with twin Yamahas I think. It was laying across the southbound lanes near Rosswell Creek, Fanny bay area. Someone was off to a bad weekend. Dave
  6. A

Free Tounge Jack

I have a used tounge jack here. It's not pretty, but is functional. It has all mounting hardware and wheel, but is fairly rusty. I thought someone might be able to use it before I tossed it in the metal recycle bin. It's not the super heavy duty size but will work on a unit up to about 18 feet...
  7. A

Cannon Balls

OK, guys I finally got caught up and had time to pour some new balls. 10# finned $16 12# finned $20 15# round or finned $24 Also 1#, 1.5#, 2#, 3# and 5# available. Located in Chemainus. Personal Message if interested. Thanks. Dave
  8. A

Pacific Lamprey

Released an undersized chinook today, but noticed it had a lamprey hanging off of it. I managed to grab it with the pliers and throw it in the boat. The fish was fine. Has anyone else caught salmon with lampreys on them? I didn't know they were a problem here. Dave
  9. A

GPS Waypoints

Ok, so I'm going through my old handheld GPS (Garmin45) and writing down all of my old waypoint numbers to transfer over to my new Chartplotter. The only problem is that there's a bunch of points that are just numbered so I have no idea where they actually are and not sure I want to keep them...
  10. A

What Did Everyone Get??

Well, I got spoiled rotten by my wife this year. A new red Islander MR3, a Mustang auto inflate vest, and a Lowrance colour GPS plotter. I think she wants me out of the house more this year. So excited, I have to go drill some more holes in my boat now. How did everyone else make out? Dave
  11. A

Question About MR3

Just a quick question about the MR3's. I notice that they are available in either a solid or a drilled back. Any preference from you guys that own them. I think the solid back would keep out more dirt/dust/water/salt? Dave
  12. A

What is with the deer this year?

I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but the yearling deer on the lower part of Vancouver island look like crap. Their coats are all patchy, ratty looking and pale, some are almost a light tan. Does anyone know if there's a parasite outbreak, like tick loading, or is this just a natural...
  13. A

Fresh Batch of Cannonballs

Just finished pouring, lots in stock for now. 15 pound ( round or with stainless fin insert) - $24 12 pound finned - $20 10 pound finned - $16 5 pound round - $8 3 pound round - $5.25 2 pound hali - $3.50 1.5 pound hali - $2.75 1 pound hali/cod - $2 I can also exchange or remelt any...
  14. A

Jolly Roger & Skull and Cross Bones

Ok, I was told this story today: Under Maritime Laws, ( not sure which country or maybe international), that it is illegal to fly a Jolly Roger or Skull and Crossbones flag on your boat. Because of international piracy laws, you can be fined or detained. I know most marine supply stores sell...
  15. A

Seal Bombs

Are they available in Canada? Are they legal? Does anyone know where to get any? I want some bad. Dave
  16. A

Cowichan River Counting Fence

Has anyone heard any numbers from the counting fence lately? I've been curious since it was installed this year. The water level in the river seems good this year, not too high, not too low. Just the right amount of water to get fish up quickly. Thanks in advance. Dave
  17. A

Fresh Batch of CannonBalls

Truck broke down this weekend, so I finally had some time to pour lead. 1, 2, and 3 pound balls $1.75 per pound. 5, 10, 12 and 15 pound balls $1.60 per pound. 10, 12 & 15 pound balls are finned, all others are round. I can also exchange any clean scrap lead you have to trade. Located...
  18. A

Police Boat Hiding Out

On Saturday we were in Victoria for a wedding. We has some time to kill so we went for a walk on the breakwater. When we got out towards the lighthose at the end there was an large grey RIB sitting tight on the inside. As each and every boat that left or entered the harbour, they would tear out...
  19. A

Boat Mooring Anchors

Does anyone know someone who can place mooring bouys in the Cowichan Bay area? Not for me, but for a friend.
  20. A

Blood Mercury Test Survey

Just got a letter in the mail from UBC. It says that BC MOE is conducting a research study investigating the relationship between fish consumption and blod mercury levels among recreational anglers in BC. Anyone else get a similar request?
Back