Search results

1. islanderguy

Too much TIME not enough MONEY OR too much MONEY not enough TIME?

I’m fortunate to be able to take Leave Without Pay up to 5 weeks. Add a couple of weeks of vacation time and I’m off for 7 weeks to hang out with my young sons and fish for most of the summer. I’ve been fishing 4-6 days a week :) with and without the boys. Bank account isn’t that great but...
  2. islanderguy

"Navionics +" vs. "Navionics + Regions"

I've been looking to update my 10 year old Navionics Platinum + (SD) card and looking into some of my options. I've been impressed by the detail on the SonarCharts on my iPhone App so now I want that detail on my Lowrance HDS Unit. I'm looking into buying the "Navionics +" or the "Regions"...
  3. islanderguy

Line suggestions

I use a 10 wt fly rod with an Islander LX4.5 or an LA4.0. For line, I use 20-30 yards of backing, 300 yards of 30 lb power pro braid and a top shot of about 25 ft of 30 lb maxima mono. The mono stays nice and tight in the scotty clips. The islanders probably can handle the mono but I've been...
  4. islanderguy

Double eagle power

We have a couple of 17' Malibu Tyees which are identical to the 17' Double Eagle. Personally, I wouldn't go less than a 90 hp. My dad has a 1997 Tyee and he's had a 90 Evinrude Ocean Pro (1997), 90 Yamaha 4 Stroke (2006) and a 115 Yamaha 4 Stroke (2015). I thought the 90's were adequate...
  5. islanderguy

Islander LX4.5 - Brand New $650

Never used Islander LX4.5 in silver (clear). Retails for approximately $800 plus tax. Comes with warranty card, neoprene cover, manual and box. I had high hopes of using it to fly fish for coho but I don't think that's going to happen for a while. $650 Victoria area (near UVic)
  6. islanderguy

Sage 4110 gear rod - Brand New

Still available. It would be a very nice Christmas gift
  7. islanderguy

Sage 4110 gear rod - Brand New

11' mooching rod, 4 power. Comes with rod sock and Sage rod tube This rod was bought as a spare and has never been used. Price is firm at $500. Victoria Area
  8. islanderguy

Sounders wanted

None left at the Langley store as of this morning. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  9. islanderguy

Lowrance elite 7 hdi cutting out losing trail

I have an Elite 5 that did the same. Software update seemed to solve the problem. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. islanderguy

using tablet as gps

I've got an iPad mini with the $15 navionics app. No data plan needed but you will need an antenna such as a "bad elf" or a garmin glo. For $99, I bought the Glo and it hooks up through Bluetooth. So for $500, you have a 7" chart plotter. I use it as my backup to my hds8 unit and I store it in a...
  11. islanderguy

Calcutta 400B Vs. Avet SX 5.3

I've used the Calcutta 400b for about 10 years for jigging...great reel. I've always been a Shimano guy but a buddy of mine convinced me to buy a Diawa Luna 300. This reel is super smooth with an awesome drag system. I find that I bring the Luna out a lot more than the Calcutta...
  12. islanderguy

G-Loomis Mooching Rod

I've got a STR 1265 GL2 with that rating but it's a trigger rod that I use for jigging. I've got a baitcaster reel on it but haven't tried it on the downrigger. It's a lighter rod so I would stick to the SAR 1265 rod for big springs. The STR would be fun for big coho.
  13. islanderguy

G-Loomis Mooching Rod

I've used my SAR 1265 GL2 for 12 years now without any problems. 10'6", 10-40 lb line rating, med-heavy action. Ive caught a lot of springs up to 40 lbs on this rod over the last decade. Great rod for downrigger use. I've seen them on sale recently for $250.
  14. islanderguy

Ukee Fishing Charter Recommendation

I agree with Caddy Bay, Oly is a fishing machine!
  15. islanderguy

Islander MR3's

No backing required on the MR3. I have been using braid on my islanders for the past 12 years (with backing just to fill the reel up).
  16. islanderguy

Lowrance HDS Software Update - April 2011

http://www.lowrance.com/en/Downloads/Product-Software-Updates/HDS-Software-Update/ HDS 4.0 Provides User Noticeable Performance Improvements: Faster boot time Improved key response Charting speed improvements Insight andNavionics -Redraw -Panning -Zooming -Rotating...
  17. islanderguy

fishing on vancouver ialand

A cheap way to get on the water is to go on one of the Canadian Princess boats. It's $120 per person and generally a great time if you don't get sea sick. Fishing can be good if you know what you're doing. http://www.canadianprincess.com/reservations/fishing-activity/
Back