Search results

1. JoJo

2020 Nanaimo Reports

"Someday" - you inspired me so we headed out this morn. Gear was working pretty good and we hooked 4 undersize springs in a couple hours. Wind came up pretty good to 16 knots so we headed back. Was nice to get out though. Lost a cannon ball due to not checking for frayed downrigger line. Darn.
  2. JoJo

2019 Nanaimo Reports

Slow for me. My grandson & I fished for 5 hrs today at the Fingers, humps and Entrance Island. Two shakers and one breakaway. Tried all depths and changed gear often. Nothing. Lots of boats out and nice out there. Didn't see any nets out though. Good to get out but...I'm in a slump.
  3. JoJo

2019 Nanaimo Reports

Son, grandson and I finally got our schedules coordinated and headed out to the Fingers Saturday afternoon to try out new rods/reels. Cooler and bit drizzle with a wind but still fishable. Brought to the boat 7 coho, two of which were keepers and one undersized spring plus several other hits...
  4. JoJo

2018 Nanaimo Reports

Fished the Fingers Sunday morning for about 4 hrs. Started tighter to structure and then moved out a ways as did all the other boats. Tried anchovies, hootchies and lures. Fished 50 - 1 50'. Lost one Spring, caught one dog fish and released one undersize. Not a lot of weed in the water...
  5. JoJo

Brown's Bay

Couldn't go in derby this year but was able to get up to Brown's Bay for a day yesterday (Friday). Beautiful as usual - sunny, although the wind stayed up all day. We fished Deep Water Bay hard and did manage 2 chum. Saw only one other fish caught all day. There was a good school at the...
  6. JoJo

2017 Nanaimo Reports

Took time out for a morning fish with my friend (his birthday). Beautiful calm sea...lighting was a little eerie. Lots of shakers. Couple of nice hits and we did boat a couple hatchery coho. Mainly off the Fingers and depths were all over the place on either side of 100'. Anchovy and cop...
  7. JoJo

2017 Nanaimo Reports

Braved the strong winds Tuesday aft that were supposed to die down and headed out for the minor bite around 1 pm. Were rewarded with 2 nice hatchery fish. Kitchen sink at 165' x 3/4 mile off of Five Fingers. Tough slugging in 20 knot wind. Gave up on anchovy - two hard to determine strikes...
  8. JoJo

2017 Nanaimo Reports

Yes Nanaimo has picked up. Yesterday aft was rough out there but fish were active. This aft was calm and it was slower but was still productive.
  9. JoJo

First time Bradley user

I don't usually start w/ the pucks and just let the smoker heat bring up the temperature of the fish. I also found that I like to change the rack positions every 1/2 hr. By that I not only do I mean upper/lower rack positioning but I also turn them around front to back just to compensate for...
  10. JoJo

Port Alberni / Bamfield Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

Just getting Dunn Deal loaded for a week of fishing out of Salmon Beach with buddies. What's the best bet for fishing locations? Outside or in? We have our favorite spots but also like to check in to see where/how everyone is doing? Thanks.
  11. JoJo

fish cooler

I broke one of the latches off on my last trip and decided to look up replacement parts on the internet. My buddy M.T. Pockets suggested I just check out the local fishing supply stores and lo & behold the two I tried in Nanaimo both carried hinges and latches.
Back