Search results

1. vicsurfer

2023 Sooke Reports

Fished noon to 3pm today off the Head. 3 wilds and 2 mackerel. The top 40ft seemed the best. There were a ton of humpbacks. One whale launched clean out of the water 50ft behind some guy's boat. The weather was perfect to finish off a spectacular season.
  2. vicsurfer

2023 Sooke Reports

My daughter and I went out for a quick trip off the Head. Fished 9-11 and managed 2 of 6 hatch coho. Also kept a late pink. Pink squirts with short leader was the best. Some hikers at Aldridge had quite the humpback show. It went within 10 feet of the rocks.
  3. vicsurfer

2023 Sooke Reports

Fished noon until 4 today off the Head. It was our first skunking of the summer. Besides the shakers, not a single hit. The highlight of the afternoon was the Humpback coming out of the water right beside the boat.
  4. vicsurfer

2023 Sooke Reports

We decided for a late start today and avoid the derby chaos. Dropped the gear at the Head around 1pm and hooked a 17 right away. 10 minutes later, the other rod goes off and it's a 19. Managed one more smaller spring and packed it in around 3. The cleaning table was loaded with big fish. The...
  5. vicsurfer

2023 Sooke Reports

Nice, flat water in the rain this morning but the fishing was slow for us. We fished the Trap and managed a pink and a smaller, hatch spring about 55cm which was bleeding everywhere. DFO was at Cheanuh checking catches and warned one guy who was filleting hatch coho while tossing the spine...
  6. vicsurfer

2023 Sooke Reports

Yep, the weed was ridiculous this morning between the Head and the Shack. Bull kelp on the rigger multiple times and eel grass everywhere. We couldn't find a spring so just kept 6 pinks and left after having enough of the weeds.
  7. vicsurfer

2023 Sooke Reports

Started out this morning around 8:30 at Possession. Picked up a 13 and 9 pound spring within minutes. Since we had our spring limit we tried for some Coho. Trolled down with the flood and hit 2 more decent springs off the Head which were released. We didn't see many coho or pinks so we headed...
  8. vicsurfer

2023 Sooke Reports

Took my cousin out today who was visiting. We started around 8am at the Head and trolled down to the Trap. Picked up a few pinks and a 6lb spring. We spent the morning at the Trap but never saw anything other than pinks. Packed up at noon with 6 pinks and the spring. Hopefully some bigger fish...
  9. vicsurfer

Straightwatch - Who are they really?

I heard them Thursday droning on 68 while fishing the Trap (They were at Race). I turned off the VHF and listened to the Peetz reels screaming instead. Problem solved.
  10. vicsurfer

2023 Sooke Reports

Today had a bit of everything. Started at 10am and trolled down to the shack. The pinks weren't around but the smaller springs were everywhere. When we neared the shack we had a big fish on the dr but got off on a few head shakes. I checked the hook on the Gibbs Irish Cream because I forgot to...
  11. vicsurfer

2023 Sooke Reports

My daughter and I started the morning off at the Head around 8:15am. We quickly got into the pinks and one spring about 5lbs we tossed back. Went down to the shack and more of the same so we decided to quit trolling and jig for some springs. It turned out when jigging, it was nearly impossible...
  12. vicsurfer

2023 Sooke Reports

Started out this morning around 8am at the Head. Quickly landed a 78cm, 14lb spring. We trolled around the Head for a few hours, hitting pinks but trying to get more springs. We then went down to the Trap for the change but still nothing but pinks. Packed it in at 11am with the one spring and...
  13. vicsurfer

2023 Sooke Reports

We decided to launch out of Cheanuh at 8am today and get the start of the flood. Dropped the lines just west of Aldridge and fish were thick. It was impossible to keep more than one rod down with all the pinks. By 8:50am we had 12 in the boat. Didn't get any springs or coho.
  14. vicsurfer

2023 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

We decided to give halibut a try today after the last few days of crazy pink and coho action off Sooke. We dropped anchor north of Race at 6am and conditions were perfect. Within minutes, salmon were jumping all around the boat. Our hali lines were down so we decided to jig while we waited. It...
  15. vicsurfer

2023 Sooke Reports

Fished the Head at 9am today with glassy conditions finally. Within minutes, we had a triple header and it didn't slow down. We caught our limit of 12 pinks within 80 minutes and released 4 nice wild Coho. It was almost impossible to keep the net clear and rods in the water. The fish were from...
  16. vicsurfer

2023 Sooke Reports

Fished 7-10:30 this morning. Started at Aldridge but it was cold and windy. Stayed in the bay until 9 and only managed a small spring and a few pinks. At 9, the wind dropped and the fog rolled out. Most boats moved out to the Head and it was non-stop action of pinks and coho. Quickly finished...
  17. vicsurfer

2023 Sooke Reports

We decide to gamble and get out before the wind. Started at Aldridge because the wind was nasty at the Head. The pinks and coho were biting consistently between 8 and noon. Released one spring around 10lbs and had a freight train on that snapped the mainline. Saw lots of springs around...
  18. vicsurfer

2023 Sooke Reports

Fished close to the Head today 8-11am. We tried to avoid the springs with pink squirts but hooked into 3 decent ones. Ended up keeping 8 pinks for the canner and tossed back 4 coho. Must have lost 15-20 that just hit and spat the hook. Pinks were bigger today than the past few weeks.
  19. vicsurfer

2023 Sooke Reports

Launched out of Cheanuh today at 7:45. Decided to start at Aldridge and head towards the Shack. We also tested different spoon patterns before targeting some pinks. We released two smaller sized springs right away on the Swiftsure pattern. Next, I put on my modified Killy Magee and hooked...
  20. vicsurfer

2023 Sooke Reports

Finally a day without wind. We decided to sleep in and wait for the change around 10am. Started out near Aldridge and trolled west into the fog. The first hour was a little slow with a few wild coho and small springs. Then at 10am the bite came on around the Trap. Springs, coho and pinks were...
Back