Search results

1. Slabby20

Trophy XL QR Problem Question

I had an issue with one of my Trophy XL QR's last week and was wondering if anyone has had the same thing happen or knows how to fix the problem. While just reeing in my gear when my buddy hooked a fish the reel just locked up and wouldn't turn. I found that the drag knob had self tightened so...
  2. Slabby20

Christmas Tree Cuttlefish

A friend of mine gave me one of these Cuttlefish to fish in Ukee. He called it the "Christmas Tree". It was a killer for us. Has anyone out there used this pattern and know where I can find it, who makes it, number etc??
  3. Slabby20

Do You Run Your Yamaha T-8 Dry?

Do you run your Yami T-8 dry of fuel after each use? I had always run them dry but last year a mechanic told me I shouldn't and to leave the fuel line connected and fuel in the carb. Seems to be two schools of thought on that one. What do you do?
  4. Slabby20

Hammered / honeycomb spoons

As if I need more tackle I'm adding a few more spoons to my tackle box for the upcoming summer. What is your opinion of the hammered / honeycomb spoons vs. the standard smooth finish spoons? Cheers, Slabby
  5. Slabby20

Salmon Virus Secret??

This is an article from the Seattle Times today: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2016890291_salmonvirus30m.html By Craig Welch Seattle Times environment reporter Canada kept detection of salmon virus secret A decade before this fall's salmon-virus scare, a...
  6. Slabby20

How To Rerplace A Trophy Fuel Tank

I found out from a friend today that he's discovered he has a hole in his fuel tank on his 2003 20' Trophy. I know that it's a big problem with the way the boat is built around the tank. Has anybody ever removed and replaced a fuel tank on a Trophy that could offer suggestions on the best way to...
  7. Slabby20

Fishing a 3rd Downrigger Advice

I've been fishing a 3rd, middle rigger for a long time. I've always fished the middle one shallower than the outside ones and go with a longer drop back on the middle one. Do you agree with that? Recently someone told me I should fish the middle one deeper and use a shorter dropback and that...
  8. Slabby20

Favorite Hook for Big Tomic Plugs

What's your favorite hook and size for your 7" Tomic plugs? I've been using the 9510xxx and running a 9/0 or 10/0. Also, I saw these on a web site and order a few to experiment with. They are Matzuo 10/0 Trophy Kats. What do you think? They aren't stainless and will take a more care to keep them...
  9. Slabby20

New 4" Candlefish Plug

Found this in Ted's Sport Center today so I just had to buy one. If the action is decent I would think it would be a good "match the hatch" Candlefish imitation to drag on the bottom. Ted's said they haven't been out very long but the they are hearing decent reports about them working well on...
  10. Slabby20

Something New To Try With A Spoon

What do think?? I just saw this tonight. Looks interesting, especially during the winter. I wonder how much it affects the action. http://blog.theoutdoorline.com/post/2011/01/20/Hookin-up-on-the-Hoochie-Hook!.aspx
  11. Slabby20

Bluefin Tuna sells fpr $396,000 at auction

I'm in the wrong business!!!! http://abcnews.go.com/business/video/how-to-spend-your-mega-millions-12536270&tab=9482931&section=1206834&playlist=1363932 Giant tuna sells for record price in Japan TOKYO (AFP) – A monster bluefin tuna sold for a record 396,000 dollars in the year's first...
  12. Slabby20

New Forum and Photos

On the new forum format I've noticed that when ever someone posts photos I'm seeing only about 1/2 the photo and the rest is cut off on the right side of the screen. An example is Sushihunter's post in the "pre rigged hootchie leaders" thread. His 2nd Rigging Hootchies photo is cut off and I can...
  13. Slabby20

Ucluelet Accommodations

I just had two of of group cancel on me last minute for our trip to Ucluelet for the nights of July 31st - August 6th. If anyone has been looking for a place to stay send me a PM and I'll send you the contact information for the place we are booked. Here's a partial description of the place...
  14. Slabby20

Leaders for Spoons

Just looking for opinions about what others do. When you run large spoons off the WCVI do you normally tie your main line direct to the spoon/swivel/ring or do you add a heavier leader section with a swivel??
  15. Slabby20

Hook Sharpener Idea

I found this on another web site about how to make an easy, effective hook sharpener. "two round "chain saw" files taped together at the top and bottom are all we use on commercial boats. A few swipes down the groove in the middle is all it takes, cheap and easy" They are conveniently sold...
  16. Slabby20

Gold Star / Silver Horde Spoons

There's been lot's of discussion on here about the Coyote spoons now being made in China with their crap finishes and cheap rings and hooks. To make things even worse, they are going to be significantly reducing the number of patterns they produce, if they haven't already. I've been using more...
  17. Slabby20

Huge springer run predicted for Columbia Riv

Let's hope their right :D:D http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20091217/SPORTS/712179970/1008/SPORTS02#Huge.spring.chinook.run.predicted.for.Columbia.River Huge spring chinook run predicted for Columbia River By Wayne Kruse Special to The Herald One of the best things about winter...
  18. Slabby20

Tidal effect on swell height/seas???

This is probably a stupid question but here goes anyway: When planning a trip to fish offshore like at Nootka, Tofino, Barkley Sound....... what kind of tides do you look for? I've been told by a not so reliable source that bigger tide swings probably means bigger swells/seas but I have no...
  19. Slabby20

Ucluelet Accomodations

I've been going to either Bamfield or Tofino for many years but I've never stayed in Ucluelet. I want to schedule a trip to Ucluelet next July but I have no idea of where to stay or where to get moorage for my 21 footer. Can anyone give me some ideas?? If we can, we'd like to get something that...
  20. Slabby20

Favorite Big Spoon Patterns

What would be your recommendation for the best two or three 6" spoons and color patterns for offshore of Barkley Sound?
Back