Search results

1. saltydawg

Squid in Finlayson Arm

I’m wondering if anyone knows anything about squid fishing in Finlayson Arm? I know 30 years ago you used to be able to jig squid in January at Goldstream Boathouse. I ask because 2 x this week Risso Dolphin's have been at the head of Finlayson arm. Risso s eat squid. How can we jig if Boathouse...
  2. saltydawg

Lots of herring. Why??????

I,m seeing the most herring in Juan de Fuca and Haro straight I,ve seen in years. Does anyone know why??? Did the commercial fleet lay off this year? If they did this is fantastic. Acres of herring were in the shipping lanes August and Sept. Today off Ogden point 4-6" herring stretched from the...
  3. saltydawg

Steering binding+kicker tilt sticky.

I am looking for a recommendation for someone in the Victoria area to do a couple of jobs for me on my boat. 1)Replace my steering cable on 1902 Trophy. Its a bugger because of tight access holes in the cuddy and at the transom. 2)Repace tilt mechanism on 9.9 Yammaha kicker. I need someone who...
  4. saltydawg

Whole Pork leg

I see Thriftys has whole pork legs at $1 a lb again this week. There was a great thread on here previously about what guys were doing with a whole leg.I can,t find it now. I think Wolf was smoking it but I can,t remember now??? Ideas?
  5. saltydawg

Insurance

Brothers/Sistas :) Insurance question for you. I,m not really happy with my present insurer (Beacon-Loyds of L). I pay $450 for a 19.5' that I keep on my property for 5 months and at Oak Bay Marina for 7 months. Does anyone like one Co. better than the next? Appreciate the feedback.
  6. saltydawg

Halibut Rig missing off Albert Head???

I drive Zod and it looks like someones Halibut Rig might be going walkabout. It started drifting just off Albert Head this morning and is now tangled up in a big kelp ball just west of VH bouy. Big red oval Scotsman with smaller float on a tether. No markings that I could tell.
  7. saltydawg

Glow paint for old spoons

I have a bunch of old spoons I'd like to jazz up and re-use by painting on glo/luminescent paint . Anyone else doing and where did you get paint? I've tried a bunch of stores around Victoria including Shaver Shop and Trotac and so far its a no go. Everyone says wait until Halloween???
  8. saltydawg

Otter's stealing crab

Hey Everyone, I notice the thriving river otter population in the outer Victoria harbour area are raiding my crab traps. I have the cheap box traps with the four doors. Does anyone have any tricks that I can use to dissuade the furry little buggers. thanks
  9. saltydawg

Sea lion pulls man with fish from boat off San Diego

Sounds like neither one wanted to let go of the fish! http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/sea-lion-pulls-man-with-fish-from-boat-off-san-diego-1.3022137 A man was injured on Sunday after he was pulled into the water by a sea lion that jumped from the water at a San Diego marina and grabbed a...
  10. saltydawg

Lost crab pot Oak Bay?

Not lost. Just blown in tight to Cattle point.
  11. saltydawg

Volvo Penta Dealer Victoria

Hi Guys, Does anyone have an authorized Volvo mechanic that they know or can recommend in the Victoria area? Someone who can do 1 day turn around on regular maintenance through the summer? thanks
  12. saltydawg

Any Two Strokers?

Free! Almost full. 5 litres. Nautilus 2 stroke motor oil. I'll never use it. SOLD
  13. saltydawg

Duck Wings?

I know this is supposed to be a fishing site but ..... Does anyone have any duck wings?Or if you,re hunting, can you save me a couple? I need them to train the pup. Thanks, Gary Victoria
  14. saltydawg

Coho in The Gorge

Anybody fishing? They be there.
  15. saltydawg

manual downriggers

Make me an offer for 2xScotty manual downriggers missing mounting plates. Loaded with dacron
  16. saltydawg

Prawn Fishing pretty good

Prawn fishing is the *****. Too many little ones. One of the guys at Anglers Anchorage complained that someone stole 2 of his traps and messed around with his other traps on an overnight soak by Pat Bay. This pulse fishery is a disaster
  17. saltydawg

6 HP Yamaha kicker motor.

sold motor
  18. saltydawg

Bathymetric maps

These ocean floor maps are apparently made by canadian hydrographic service. Anyone seen these in print for victoria area?
  19. saltydawg

Bumper crop of Juvenile Herring

Balmacarra beach in Gordon Head has a massive school of herring in it. The entire bay is boiling. A guy could fill a pail up with the ones washed up on the beach but they are too small for bait. 2-4". The water all along the shore is black with them. I wonder whats up?
  20. saltydawg

How Can you mount Trap Eze to scotty swivel mount??

Hi Guys, I have a scotty swivel mount bracket on the boat. I would like to use it to attach a scotty "trap eze" , to haul prawn traps. http://www.scotty.com/fishing-gear-equipment/fishing-supplies/trapease.htm The trap eze bracket holes do not line up with the swivel plate holes. Scotty...
Back