Search results

1. T

High Tech Jigging

@spring fever I read your info on rods a few pages back. Are you still using the China rods? What's a good quality inexpensive fun rod you prefer currently? Ever tried the goofish rods?
  2. T

2018 Sooke Reports

Can anyone tell me what this boat is off Beechey Head area around 12:30pm yesterday - https://imgur.com/a/Bv1V9db I hope it's fisheries testing? We first saw it way out in mid channel, it worked it's way up past Sooke then came around toward us slowed down then dropped the net for about 20 minutes.
  3. T

Fileting fish

This is how you fillet a salmon. I don't think I've seen faster! Notice the knife is on an angle for side 2.
  4. T

High Tech Jigging

So would the 364 be too small for halibut? What model would be good for all 3 species. Just checked the 463 (larger model) might be best? Strange they have 2 reels with the same numbers in the model number, just reversed!
  5. T

High Tech Jigging

@StormTrooper What is your fav Okuma and Daiwa for jigging? I was looking at the Okuma Andros A-5NIIa yesterday, 2 speed narrow. I like small reels, like Waterwolf says, but not over $350. Rob said his son uses Okuma Komodo 364 for jigging cod. Would it be good for large salmon? Not sure if you...
  6. T

High Tech Jigging

I was in Parksville PNT 2 or 3 times this summer looking at reels. I believe your not carrying Accurate anymore, true? Was thinking of the BV-300 but with the exchange it's too much. The more I read about all brands of reels the more confusing it gets. Basically I guess it comes down to...
  7. T

High Tech Jigging

I was leaning toward the Avet SX or SXJ. I ordered from Trotoc last year but they have had an awful time getting Avet into Canada. I cancelled recently and now I'm leaning toward Shimano.
  8. T

High Tech Jigging

Looks very nice and price is good too. I'll get a price from Trotac/Island Outfitters here. I should probably get a quote from Tackle Shack too don't you think? How would I tell if I got the new model? One charter guy on amazon says the internal bearings got corroded too fast. Hmm....
  9. T

High Tech Jigging

Thanks for the reply. Just got the TVSC recently and looking for a reel. Been browsing reading bdoutdoors.com reviews on reels. Okuma Andros A-5 reels, what do you think?
  10. T

High Tech Jigging

Would the Trinidad 16NA work on the TVSC63MH rod or is it just a little too big. The 12A is better?
  11. T

And so begins my 1st Bamfield adventure!

Don't they charge $10 a day to park at Toquart? I kayak and haven't gone back there since it was changed in location but that's what I hear from friends.
  12. T

Circle Hooks for Chinook

@Drewski Canuck I want to try some of these circle hooks. Which one, VMC 7385 or VMC 7381 or ? So many models of VMC on amazon! Update - Can't even find a 5/0 circle hook at Trotac or Island Outfitters let alone a 1/0. These must be really small in size. Maybe that's the secret. Everybody who...
  13. T

2016 Victoria waterfront and Oak Bay

Out this morning till 12:30 and got 2 small ones 5-6 lbs and got a nice 17lb or so at around 11:30am. Had to let it go though. Wild, bummer. I won't be fishing for salmon any more with that limit. Personally, I will consider that area closed. Halibut next time.
  14. T

Nog's Needle - The Good News

Just ordered a few Needles, they look real nice, but wondering does anyone know where to get the rings that are welded on other than from Nog? I used to do my own soldering years ago when I changed the hooks on Alaskan Plugs for Alberni Inlet. Wow, that was ages ago, but I can't remember how I...
  15. T

kayak fishing

I was out with a buddy in his power boat yesterday and we got our 4 coho off Becher Bay. I was out in my kayak today off Secretary, no luck in the morning, had 2 strikes after lunch, one really pulled the whole boat back it seemed, but neither stuck. Fishing about 12 ounces from rod. I only have...
Back