Chinook Salmon closures and restrictions ahead

This money, while not much, CAN do some good. Ocean survivability is a huge issue. Maybe it can go to start up some artificial kelp beds, hiring summer students to plant eel grass in estuaries, buying herring spawn nets that can be hung in various areas around the Salish Sea.

Corporate sponsorship is a BIG thing. These companies have BILLIONS of dollars. Has anyone solicited SeaSpan, TECK Resources, or gassppp! Dare I say it? Kinder Morgan... to get support for habitat projects in the Salish Sea? I'm not sure, but it seems that many of you just expect Mother Canada to open her purse strings and buy a solution here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of the companies you mention already give. However it wasn't under their watch that salmon stocks have been allowed to decline to the brink. Why should they in DFO's languuage " bear the brunt" of a recovery? The buerocrats within DFO allowed both of our coasts to loose vast and important fish resources. The Federal Governemnt owns this mess and they should buck up and fix it.

Some of the companies you mention already give. However it wasn't under their watch that salmon stocks have been allowed to decline to the brink. Why should they in DFO's languuage " bear the brunt" of a recovery? The buerocrats within DFO allowed both of our coasts to loose vast and important fish resources. The Federal Governemnt owns this mess and they should buck up and fix it.

I'm not sure, but it seems that many of you just expect Mother Canada to open her purse strings and buy a solution here.

Most members on here volunteer there time for a lot of streamkeepers groups, volunteer hatcheries ect, and donate to a lot of groups like the PSF.

The buerocrats within DFO allowed both of our coasts to loose vast and important fish resources. The Federal Governemnt owns this mess and they should buck up and fix it.

To be fair all user groups ever do is ask DFO for more fish and the user groups are all really happy when DFO gives them their fisheries.. They have been cutting harvests but ocean survival rates have been declining. Looking back in time when the JDF was restricted they probably should've cut harvests more back then coast wide for all user groups and areas.

2010 and 2014 had some of the biggest sockeye harvests in near memory at over 10 million sockeye each of thoes years. It's not surprising the 2018 run of chinook is looking horrible when they gill netted that many sockeye, Chinook got hammered. DFO got lobbied hard that year and will this year from commercial industry will be the same.

The problem lies in the fact that politics manage fisheries. Perhaps DFO needs to be set up more like the Judicial branch and the leaders get appointed but cannot be removed on a whim by the next government.

Look at how many votes the liberals are going to lose from all the rec fishermen on the west coast because of these reductions. It's bad business and bad politics. They are doing it tho because they got lobbied by the SRKW ENGO's. I can almost guarantee under a conservative government we would not be seeing these restriction but the salmon in general would be worse off because conservative decimated DFO biologist division to promote development.

Salmon need a group outside side of political influence to manage them.

Yes I've been working on it since last November. Spent all day Wednesday over on the mainland putting posters up in tackle shops. Covered from Tsawwasan to Abbotsford to N. Van and all in between. Also got a cool tour of the Seastar Solutions plant in Richmond.

Lots of thoughts and theories on who is to blame for current situation. I think we can all agree no one is going to admit their group is the problem. The issue now is how are we going to resolve this crisis. As the body responsible for management DFO needs to develop a comprehensive long term plan with measurable objectives and ensure all user groups understand, participate and support the plan. It won’t be easy and it won’t be cheap but the alternative of extinction of salmon is not acceptable to any of us. Simply lobbying DFO and trying to be heard above the other groups is not going to be the solution. Nobody wants to see the salmon stocks continue to dwindle.

Most members on here volunteer there time for a lot of streamkeepers groups, volunteer hatcheries ect, and donate to a lot of groups like the PSF.

We all do. But sweat equity from volunteers doesn't keep the lights on in a hatchery, or any other major works. People are sniveling here about 'not enough' money being given, and hyperbolic emotional statements like "if they really cared." Its nonsense.

It's going to take a lot of money to restore habitat, both in home rivers and the sea. Millions. Where's that money going to come from? Is the government obligated to provide it? There's only so much money a responsible government can spend. Private corporations certainly are not obligated, but they certainly do enjoy the public image boost from donations. Jimmy Pattison has an entire wing of VGH named after him. Go a to a university, donations galore.

Some here seem to be critical of the DFO, a government organization, and suggest they screwed everything up. So what's their solution? More government?

The reality here, is that S.91(12) of the constitution gives the federal government control of fisheries. Nothing is going to change that. The way that Sport, Aboriginal, and Commercial groups are all haggling for their own interests, when everyone wants the same thing, is getting nowhere.

Why are we on the subject of FN fisheries again? The thread is is about closures due to SRKW...Is not possible to stick to the topic? Just deleted everything that was off topic as we said we would.

Why are we on the subject of FN fisheries again? The thread is is about closures due to SRKW...Is not possible to stick to the topic? Just deleted everything that was off topic as we said we would.

I think it’s partly because my perception seems to be that the view of most posting here is that it has nothing to do with the SRKW?

I’m personally in complete support of protecting the SRKW and will do what I can to do my part to ensure that happens. That said, without measures to control the two largest groups by volume of harvest, that harvest SRKW feed stock is frustrating.

Can’t save the whales without stopping the net.

That’s pretty obvious to all.

Been acknowledged that it is one of many issues surrounding Salmon and their fight for survival. We are just not interested in having every conservation thread end up in the same merry go round where we end up in a political debate and quoting the constitution. Again, all for making the changes necessary to save and enhance Salmon, but fighting about it here isn't going to make those changes happen. Last post on this subject.

The POINT is that if there are restrictions placed on one secter to conserve the species and another group has none and massacres them in then river so the stocks cant improve then what is the point!!!!!!! no more salmon with the excuse that we had the right to fish them out is total bu----it!!!!get your head out of the sand !!!! if there are limits- then limits for everyone period . all canadian fisherman--- sport------- native-----comercial!!!!!! all in to feel the same pain equally.
I agree one hundred percent!!!!!

The Feds are at fault for mismanaging the fisheries and should be shamed into providing adequate funding to rebuild our salmon stocks. I can imagine a few billboards and websites congratulating the American Govt. For their salmon enhancement program in Washington and shaming our own government for their lack of action.To get our government to take action will require a public awareness program...championed by celebs.
Is Pattison Group not a major player in the seafood industry? Where does Jim Pattison stand on this issue?
We need to get organized and either join an organization that will be effective(not a bureaucracy) or create a new one.

The big shame is it seems all the things we used to enjoy as kids and build relationships with family/friends have pressure on them.

Maybe that’s just city life though. It’s catch 22, have to increase the population to keep the economy going and the more people that come puts ever more pressure on resources.

Back