Thinking of switching from Telus to Shaw?

AlK

We are thinking of switching from Telus to Shaw and I'm wondering what is involved. Do we have to give notice and are there any fees involved. Anyone have any experience?
Thanks.

strange you say this because I just about switched from Shaw to Telus because they offered a cost reduction to us. We went back to Shaw and they matched it. Saved $80 a month for the first year. Dealing with Telus was a pain in the butt I have to say. their admin is screwed up. Service is probably similar. In the end Telus decided it was too costly to pull cable under the ground to my house. I used the opportunity to leverage a cost reduction and it worked.

I switched to Telus 6 months or so ago when they ran fibre to my house as the deal was too good. TV/Internet/land line we paid about $60 for the first 6 months then up to $105 for the next 18. They even thru in a $500 prepaid Visa . I will agree with Pescador...their admin is awful and Shaw's customer service is better .

@AlK it will all depend on if you were signed for term . We did for 2 years and there is a fee for leaving early.

We were initially on a two year term, but that has expired a long time ago. So there should be no fee. I agree both of them are equally bad - I am not a fan of either one. One of the reasons we are thinking of switching is we have a cottage on the island with no internet or TV and Telus does not have any wifi hot spots in the area but Shaw does. Also we are close to $200 a month for our package deal (TV, Internet, Phone) and watch propably only 15 out 80 channels on a regular basis.

Agree with above posts on the public relations seems better with shaw.

From a package detail perspective, in all my experience and recent searches, most are very comoarable between both companies.

What really chaps my butt is the price keeps rising (on our "contract" with Telus). 22 months ago we signed on for $140 after tax Internet and tv bundles. It's gone up three times in not even two years to now $159 after tax which is BS.

I complained as I expected the contract rate of $140 for the full two years but got the shaft and lame rationale of "cost of inflation and technology in your area". Of course, to pull out before our two years meant even more fees...
So ya, we are bent over the barrel really

Agree with above posts on the public relations seems better with shaw.

From a package detail perspective, in all my experience and recent searches, most are very comoarable between both companies.

What really chaps my butt is the price keeps rising (on our "contract" with Telus). 22 months ago we signed on for $140 after tax Internet and tv bundles. It's gone up three times in not even two years to now $159 after tax which is BS.

I complained as I expected the contract rate of $140 for the full two years but got the shaft and lame rationale of "cost of inflation and technology in your area". Of course, to pull out before our two years meant even more fees...
So ya, we are bent over the barrel really

I will find the organization I complained to after reading an article on CTV. I was told 4 months in that bundled pricing was being done away with and filed a complaint with this third party commission. A TELUS department reached out and credited me the difference for the length of our contract.

We just switched to Telus from Shaw. Saved $60 per month with faster internet (fiber opt). Pay monthly, no contract.
Cable, home phone, and internet. Of course Shaw called and said they would match, so we called Telus and they sweetened the pot more. It seemed like Shaw would just keep raising prices without ever explaining. Sounds like Telus will do the same if we don't whine.
They are like vacuum salesmen. The product is worth a certain amount; but there is no set price.

I find with Teles you have to ask for the retention department to get anything from them. They seem to be the only ones able to give credits or discounts.

ShawOpen alone for me is enough to not even consider Telus...with my work and location, I have access to wifi 95% of the time, so I'm paying $20/month unlimited calling/text, no need for $60-70 plans with data. That $50/month savings should be factored in.
I know Telus is 'building' a wifi network of their own, but it still pales in comparison.

We just switched to Telus from Shaw. Saved $60 per month with faster internet (fiber opt). Pay monthly, no contract.
Cable, home phone, and internet. Of course Shaw called and said they would match, so we called Telus and they sweetened the pot more. It seemed like Shaw would just keep raising prices without ever explaining. Sounds like Telus will do the same if we don't whine.
They are like vacuum salesmen. The product is worth a certain amount; but there is no set price.
We are considering making the same switch: Shaw to TELUS. We are currently paying $180 to Shaw for cable and internet plus $40 to Telus for home phone for a total of $220. Telus sales guy is offering the same in a package for $142. I’m going to call Shaw today and see what they can do.

I signed up for Telus for my new place. Got a free 50" 4K smart TV free with a 2 year contract.

strange you say this because I just about switched from Shaw to Telus because they offered a cost reduction to us. We went back to Shaw and they matched it. Saved $80 a month for the first year. Dealing with Telus was a pain in the butt I have to say. .

I've hated Telus for a long time. Unfortunately was stuck with them for business only (moved home, cell, internet a long time ago) as the older system phone numbers are dedicated and can't be moved.

Today was a perfect example of why I hate Telus.

I have an older business system that includes call forwarding, but been so long since I operated it I forgot how to remotely call forward. The three people supposed to be in the office today can't make it, and I'm away. So I want to remotely call forward my lines for the day to my cell phone.

Started online looking for instructions - none available - how are 20 year old manuals not available online?

Then went through the business portal looking for help. Ended up with an online chat with a representative for that service. Couldn't help me - directed me to call a specific toll-free number dedicated to this particular service.
Called the number, Rep can't help me, will create a ticket and forward it to the department that should be able to help me. I asked to speak to them directly and was told that department doesn't have phones.

?

Its a TELEPHONE COMPANY where an entire department apparently doesn't have phones!
Oh, sorry - don't have phone lines...

Here's your ticket number XXXXXX - so I what is the purpose of the ticket number in a department I can't access.
I'm told I can call the same toll free number back to check and see if anyone from the hidden department has called me or not (if they update the ticket in the system).
I ask when I should expect a call back... 24-72 hours from now.

Changing phone numbers after all this time isn't a good option for my businesses.

So I guess 24-72 hours from now I'll learn the information I needed this morning. Maybe

Worked at TELUS for 35 years in corporate sales and I will admit the admin has diffently taken a hit with the Contact Centre residential business being outsourced to the Philippines.
In the past I have had service with Shaw,TELUS and Bell and I will tell you one is no better than the other with respect to customer service. With my experiences Shaw was a bit better as their Contact Center is local but Bell by far was the worst is my honest opinion.
As for TELUS when you are considering an alternate supplier please ask for/contact the Loyalty Program Team and I will assure you that they will be willing to listen and offer you preferred rates for a specific period of time. It is worth the effort as it is clear in my opinion that some business is better than no business.
Stopped drinking the cool aid a long time ago so all I can offer is what I have experienced first hand in the industry.

same boat here, new house in CR will be ready in 8 weeks .

Fortunately my phone number was a telus number before transferring to shaw.. We are with Shaw right now, but seriously considering jumping ship.
Shaw refuses to work a deal ,that and assinine limits on mail recovery /storage, in fact want to raise the package price for Net - TV -home phone ..

Builder price for new install is substantially lower, yet shaw say I still considered a client therefore e new price isn't available.. Only hold back is that TV is 720 and
Currently changing email ..so if you have one of mine .. just change address to @gmail.com. Business mining or renovations are being changed over , just use the personal one if you have to

I told them (Telus), and I wasn’t lying, that I couldn’t justify Cable TV prices anymore when I could pick some of the many streaming services from the states. You just have to use a VPN.

They cut my bill nearly in half.

I have been thinking about doing the same. I am so pissed off with TELUS that I can barely restrain myself from firing them on the spot. Recently they have been running a marketing campaign to sell fibre optic services. They have called me every day for 11 business days. Legitimate calls, I checked back every day and I was able to confirm the contact through my account 'notes". What really upset me, other than having to explain "no means no" eleven times, was the lying. I have Norton Antivirus software for my internet service, provided by TELUS. I asked each of the callers if the fibre optic internet service included Norton or a similar security product; in all cases the answer was yes. I have three different e-mails from TELUS technical support that clearly state the fibre optic platform does not support Norton; that I would have to supply my own security software. So the sales people calling me are lying...every time. I don't like supporting a bunch of liars.

Last edited:
I have been thinking about doing the same. I am so pissed off with TELUS that I can barely retrain myself from firing them on the spot. Recently they have been running a marketing campaign to sell fibre optic services. They have called me every day for 11 business days. Legitimate calls, I checked back every day and I was able to confirm the contact through my account 'notes". What really upset me, other than having to explain "no means no" eleven times, was the lying. I have Norton Antivirus software for my internet service, provided by TELUS. I asked each of the callers if the fibre optic internet service included Norton or a similar security product; in all cases the answer was yes. I have three different e-mails from TELUS technical support that clearly state the fibre optic platform does not support Norton; that I would have to supply my own security software. So the sales people calling me are lying...every time. I don't like supporting a bunch of liars.

The door to door people are bad for this too. Quoting prices then the bill ends up different.

In the past I ask for an email detailing the deal before I sign anything.

our two year contract just ended with Telus for internet and a mid-range TV package - was $142+tax (up from the previously agreed $120+ tax at start of 2 year contract).

I didn't really want to switch providers - I was just pissed at the pricing... So I researched Shaw and they had a comparable package foe about $125+tax for new customers... not good enough for me.

I called Telus and said listen, i want customer retention as my contract is up, I have an offer of $115+tax from Shaw for the same bundle so what are you going to counter with? without hesitation the woman offered me our same package and the same as Shaw's for $110 a month and 10 free on-demand movie rentals. we went back and forth a bit and ended up at $105 a month for both services.

makes one wonder how inflated the prices are if they can throw that around like candy? sad that you actually have to put in a lot of effort at getting them to work for you instead of just taking the rack rate

Back