Chinook Salmon closures and restrictions ahead

I’ll also say the POINT is that once again, guilt ridden white elitists and their minions have made a critical blunder, all for the selfish reasons that they can sip their latte with their damn hipster buddies and claim moral superiority with absolutely no clue about the problem or the ramifications of their “solutions”. So called “Progressives” will surely go down in history as maybe the most idiotic group of people mankind has produced.

Maybe go read the court decisions starting with Sparrow. It was fought by the government all the way to the Supreme court, and the highest court decided aboriginal title was not extinguished prior to the new constitution in 1982, and that the constitution subsequently enshrined those rights. Hipsters weren't even a thing for decades after sparrow, and there have been many more cases, all fought often to the supreme court by a progression of liberal and conservative governments that have enshrined those rights. Spout your ignorance of how we got to where we are all you want, and if you want to blame someone it wasn't the latte drinking hipsters you incorrectly believe me to be, it was the smallpox infested Europeans (English) who never bothered to conquer the natives, or force them/convince them to sign treaties. Much of the reason for it was because after European diseases were introduced there weren't really that many natives around to worry about going to war with or bothering with treaties, so we just moved in. Do I like that one group of Canadians gets special rights? Not really, but I at least have the ability to read why it is this way, realize we DO have to live with it as the Supreme court (an institution of European origin) has decided repeatedly that they do have some rights over and above other Canadians.

One thing the court cases have all affirmed however, is that conservation of resources is still the highest priority, and in that responsibility DFO and several present and past governments have failed miserably.

Last edited:
Yawn...its 2018
Yes it is, but some still cling to the attitudes of the past that led to the Indian act and residential schools..... Anyhow its a moot point - You're correct it's 2018 and they have won certain rights in the courts and are excercising them, like it or not. We can ***** about them all day long, It's not going to change it.

The government has to figure out the difference between conservation of the resource and reallocation of the resource. Everyone needs to share the burden if we are truly trying to conserve. Not sure spot closures and establishing whale feeding sanctuaries accomplish any real conservation goals.

As California puts it, the court supports it and there is no way out of it. Without Civil disobedience. That is what laws that create inequality, and discrimination based on race, create. Any time you create a situation where one group has rights and opportunity enshrined in law over another, larger group, you are destined to have issues. The more and more this BS continues the closer we get to outrage, hate and ignorance.

Actually the law that creates "inequality, and discrimination based on race" - is the Indian Act - an Act that FN never had any input on. The part of the law that is supposed to provide an equal treatment in the courts for all of us is instead called the "Honour of the Crown" - something that successive colonial governments have often not complied with and is explained in the court decisions - that we should all read and understand if we are to have an informed debate - as California suggested.

Well my friends, nothing is enshrined in a democracy. If that's where your beef is then go and become an activist for change; laws and constitutions CAN be changed. Not saying it's easy but it is possible. Natives fought long and hard to get here. Can YOU?

Well, when the “Keepers of the Land and Sea” take their turn to rape and pillage the resource and we all end up at zero, I’m sure you will still get that warm fuzzy feeling that only racist laws can provide.

What’s next? Do they have a claim to your house that’s worth a million bucks? Tax you to drive the roads on their land? List goes on.

I’m outta this.

I think there's been a few hundred years of rape and plunder w/o FN consent - but rather driven by market economics. If you are frustrated by the rape and pillage mentality - maybe start making changes there.

No need to worry about the whale watchers because like last summer the local boats will be watching transients and humpbacks as the residents won't spend much time inside the straits. If there are few fish they will stay away. They will be chasing the more plentiful Columbia bound fish further up the coast. The guys around Tofino are seeing them way more now.
Nice deflection i am sure the Tofino crowd would agree

I think there's been a few hundred years of rape and plunder w/o FN consent - but rather driven by market economics. If you are frustrated by the rape and pillage mentality - maybe start making changes there.

You would think stacking up over a 100 million corpses in the 20th century due to trying to eliminate market forces might teach people a lesson. I guess we have an element of society that never learn.

This thread is now so far off topic it it is completely irrelevant. It will remain open to see if it can get back to closures pertaining to SRKW. If not, we will simply close it and move on. And for those who maybe didn't read this in a different thread about 10 days ago, here it is again.

Given the heightened tension around the lack of Salmon returns, for a multitude of reasons that continue to be discussed in this forum and many other places as well, it was likely inevitable that this type of exchange was going to happen here. While we are willing to let this topic be part of the broad discussion of why Salmon are in trouble and what may be done to help them rebound, so that everyone who currently enjoys access to this amazing resource will continue to do so for generations to come, we are not willing to have it be a rant born of frustration. To that end, here are some guidelines for keeping this discussion alive while understanding that it will be heavily moderated.
Discussions that revolve around First Nation's rights that are firmly entrenched in the Canadian Constitution are a non starter. That debate happened a long time ago and isn't going to be regurgitated here. At the same time, we are not going to simply expect everyone to pretend that the history of Canada does not include immigrants from a multitude of countries, that also have rights entrenched in that same Constitution.
As has been mentioned in other threads before, using this forum to vent your frustration and paint everyone in a certain "community" with the same brush will result in removal of content. If their is illegal activity happening, report it to the proper authorities. If you want to use this forum to promote a campaign for change, as in a petition or flooding the politicians with emails demanding something be done to stem any illegal activity, you are welcome to do so. However, simply ranting about what may be happening will only inflame a useless discussion and won't be tolerated.
Sharing your thoughts in a way that directly states, or implies, that "all" or "most" members of any community are "this" or "that" or, do "this" or "that" is simply ridiculous and will result in such posts being removed immediately. These generalizations are one of the main reasons this constant bickering and taking "sides" on an issue result in nothing but fights and little productive change where it is needed most...saving this precious resource from extinction.
As mentioned, the content posted on this topic will be heavily moderated from here on in and editing, removal of posts and potential banning of members will be used where necessary, to keep this conversation civil and moving in a direction that may help everyone's right to access this resource and keep us from fighting for the right to catch the last remaining Salmon. Pulling together instead of pushing each other away might just be the right thing to do.

$9.5M is a joke. We cut bigger cheques to ISIS terrorists for pain and suffering. What an insult in particular given recent news that this Liberal government plans to spend $600m on a G7 summit in Quebec City largely seen as a platform for the next election. This pittance ($9.5m) is an attempt by the Liberals to say we did our part after all of the sporties like you and I bitched, phoned politicians and sent letters. I’m sending another letter to my useless Liberal MP to tell her it’s a disgrace. It won’t change a thing but we have to speak up and ensure they know we’re paying attention.

Sorry admin, I get a little carried away.

The issue of the rights given to FN is a major part of the problem here though. We may stray a little off topic, but it’s still related. If we can’t talk about the failings of these laws then they will be enshrined for generations to come and more than likely keep expanding. The laws are wrong and the same way they were brought about needs to be the same way they are eliminated, ie via (sometimes heated) discussion.

I’ve said my bit and I’ll leave it here, but people have got to be not afraid to call out this type of activity.

All this debate comes from the fact that we simply still do not have a wild salmon policy to rebuild stocks. That harvest still takes priority

Stopping fsc fisheries is a complicated subject. One that will have to be addressed as First Nations in bc are the fastest growing population.

We have countless salmon stocks due for review and possible listing under endangered species act. If they actually get a listting it will be the end to harvesting salmon that’s why DFO is delaying it.

We have a marine maminals protection act that out dated and protects marine maminals that no longer need protection like humpback whales and seals.

Like people have previously said fighting about who gets what part of the pie at this point is rather pointless.

This summer if your out on the river just take pictures and videos of the nets. Simply upload them to you tube and just watch what happens. You won’t even need to say a word the internet will do the rest

Some (many) of the posts here are an outright embarrassment to the fishing sport. And then people wonder why sporties have no credibility. I have said it many times, you are not going to affect change by arguing here with each other and blaming other user groups, seals, global warming, fish farms etc. If you want to affect change - and many here think they have all the answers, then run for office at the provincial or federal level or go work for the DFO instead infighting here with each other.

I for one, am tired of the same rhetoric spewed here on a daily basis and because it looks like there is no sign of it abating, I'm taking a break from here for now.

Great posts Brian and Capilano, useless to debate about Supreme Court rulings on any social media platform. Vote for the party you think will represent your opinions. If we have to hear ‘keepers of the land’ or ‘they should only be allowed to use traditional fishing methods’ or ‘one people, one law’, in any post on social media, as a means to justify someone’s opinion regarding fishing, we are going to need a different approach to debate this as it doesn’t work here.

Last edited:
Back