Chinook Salmon closures and restrictions ahead

Worse than grim.
1/2 of the exceptionally small quota now taken.
One week left & catches average less than 9 a day.

For the first time ever I am looking forward to going home. This fishery is beyond salvage.

Nog

Matt that does not sound good at all, i hope it improves for you, do you have a Walmart where you live maybe a greeter isn't all that bad for a job no a days as it seems all of our avenues to support one's self are disappearing

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/HTMLs/CommunalOpeningTimes.html
23rd legal opening on lower Fraser this year.
9.5 million is a great start unfortunetly it’s a drop in the bucket and could be used on a small system pretty quickly. When the Fraser has hundreds of tribs that salmon spawn is the 9.5 is more of media win win, so the uninformed Canadian thinks this is a great decision.
Maybe if the salmon declared themselves as refugees they could get more money lol.
The 9. 5 million shows that we would rather put more money into paying off a terrorist than put it into our fisheries.

Last edited:
Reactions: RBL
Profish....it’s not even the illegal fisheries. They have almost daily LEGAL openings....that is where most of the overharvest now comes from.

I have been saying all along that until we have a Sportfishing Assc. with elections newsletters and meetings we are a voiceless constituency. The governments allowed the capture of 47 Orcas back in the 50’s and 60’s and sent them off to giant aquariums like Seaworld and Stanley Park and the populations of West Coast Orca have never recovered. I give a little credit to the feds because at least they’re trying but the obvious measures haven’t yet been addressed. Fish Farms, either start raising chinook for our killer whales and start using closed contained pens or leave BC. They’re 99% foreign owned anyway, help or leave. Habitat restoration is critical but BC Governments over the years have let polluters sneak by without paying to clean up what they used and damaged. Loggers,Mining Operations,Hydro Projects, you all did your share. Marine mammals like our newest gluttons, the California sea lions,all 10-15,000 of them eating 10 chinook each a day. Sorry folks, it’s time to start harvesting seal hides and meat. The 800 lb gorilla in the room has always been government funding. What does the BC Government spend on salmon enhancement? Anything? Shouldn’t they? Considering we British Columbians benefit tremendously from this resource and we are largely responsible for the declined in stocks. Secondly stop killing our salmon once they hit the rivers. I understand First Nations fisheries and rights, I’m not talking about that, i have witnessed far too much abuse on river systems to even get into it. But we have been screaming about declining salmon stocks going back 25-30 yrs now and every fall our rivers open up for salmon retention. Stop it! Now ! If that’s inconvenient tough, it’s time to do the smart thing which for once is actually the right thing. This isn’t rocket science folks, it’s achievable but we need everyone who has contributed to the decline to also foot the bill to bring the salmon back.

I was born here. I am a native Canadian but not first Nations native. What is the difference between a white guy born here and a first Nations guy born here? NOTHING. We are all canadians.

What is the point posting this? Yes, yes, everyone non native would like this to be true, but the courts have recognized aboriginal title and certain rights that go along with it only for FN people in hundreds of cases going back decades. Aboriginal title and Aboriginal preferential rights for some things are here to stay, we just had another case not only confirming those rights but expanding them. The courts have decided the difference is about about 10,000 years of residence and the recognition of aboriginal title going back a couple of centuries by the English. Move on, this has been decided and we have to live within it.

What is the point posting this? Yes, yes, everyone non native would like this to be true, but the courts have recognized aboriginal title and certain rights that go along with it only for FN people in hundreds of cases going back decades. Aboriginal title and Aboriginal preferential rights for some things are here to stay, we just had another case not only confirming those rights but expanding them. The courts have decided the difference is about about 10,000 years of residence and the recognition of aboriginal title going back a couple of centuries by the English. Move on, this has been decided and we have to live within it.
Nah. We don’t have to accept it at all.

These privileges have been given over the same period of time where your average citizen thought it was a good idea and relatively benign.

Turns out the “equality” that has been strived for was basically just a front for the exact opposite, namely special treatment for some and burden for others.

Tinboatrob is 100% correct, we are either all equally treated under the law, or we are not.

Are we going to start having a pecking order dictated by race and at what time they arrived? Nah because that’s just a ****** idea. It’s on the same level of stupidity that a 16 year old FN dropping shopping carts across the Cap has more right to the resource as me.

The POINT is that if there are restrictions placed on one secter to conserve the species and another group has none and massacres them in then river so the stocks cant improve then what is the point!!!!!!! no more salmon with the excuse that we had the right to fish them out is total bu----it!!!!get your head out of the sand !!!! if there are limits- then limits for everyone period . all canadian fisherman--- sport------- native-----comercial!!!!!! all in to feel the same pain equally.

I’ll also say the POINT is that once again, guilt ridden white elitists and their minions have made a critical blunder, all for the selfish reasons that they can sip their latte with their damn hipster buddies and claim moral superiority with absolutely no clue about the problem or the ramifications of their “solutions”. So called “Progressives” will surely go down in history as maybe the most idiotic group of people mankind has produced.

No need to worry about the whale watchers because like last summer the local boats will be watching transients and humpbacks as the residents won't spend much time inside the straits. If there are few fish they will stay away. They will be chasing the more plentiful Columbia bound fish further up the coast. The guys around Tofino are seeing them way more now.

Fin..you are wrong because in 5 years they will be knocking at the door again...still declining and need another 35% reduction from the 1% we will be taking after this years cuts. How are Thompson Coho doing after 20 years of fishing restrictions and no money spent on a constructive recovery plan? There needs to be a public campaign to expose what is going on. Forget the courts..go for the court of public opinion. The recreational and commercial sectors need to move ahead with a self funded professional produced 1 hour documentary outlining all the issues and consequences to keystone wildlife if salmon continue to decline. This should include the use of drones equipped with infrared cameras to conduct surveillance of the illegal poaching going on up and down the Fraser. Expose the truth...that is all we as a group have to do to win the public...and the politicians will have to follow or be elected out. The greens would suffer a major public credibility blow as well...an added bonus.

Great idea!

Make sure to include video of Interior coho and steelhead streams sucked dry of water while farmers pump the water into their fields w/out screens on their intakes; and shots of how the government has managed our forests and floodplain areas over the last two decades!

Cheers!

Ukee

1.5 billion oceans protection plan and not even 10 mill to help the fisheries here is a complete and utter joke. Our govt gives 10x more than this to other countries for "aid" and this is what they spend on our country, disgusting. Our wild fisheries are done if this is the future of management or should I say mismanagement.

1.5 billion oceans protection plan and not even 10 mill to help the fisheries here is a complete and utter joke. Our govt gives 10x more than this to other countries for "aid" and this is what they spend on our country, disgusting. Our wild fisheries are done if this is the future of management or should I say mismanagement.

Of course we know this isn't enough money lol, Trudope is all about Kinder Morgan so trying to make it look like he gives a crap about fisheries.

Back