“Random” iREC Fishing Survey

Trophy

Just purchased on line our 2018-19 BC Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Licences x3 (wifes, brother in laws and mine). At the bottom of each was printed you have been selected for the iREC Fishing Survey. Mine happens to be April and shortly thereafter I received the survey access by email.
Random...I better go buy a 6/49 ticket!

I think everyone is selected for the survey in the hope that some people will complete
them, all the while thinking they are special. ;)

Yup, looks like all licences (annual at least) get randomly assigned a month. Just bought ours - I got May and wife got August.

Also noticed on the new licence that that you are no longer allowed to keep prawns carrying eggs and they must be released immediately - great change in my opinion!

DFO will use any information you give them to further restrict fishing opportunities and close more areas for longer times.
I am NOT filling in their "random" survey.

Although DFO call it a "condition of license" there is currently no method of enforcing it.
The only compulsory survey I know of is the Canadian census.

DFO will use any information you give them to further restrict fishing opportunities and close more areas for longer times.
I am NOT filling in their "random" survey.[/QUOTE

Wrong ..Wrong on so many different levels...u only do a dis service to yourself and all sport fisherman out there... without accurate information then DFO will start to guess... :(

Last edited:
I am NOT filling in their "random" survey.

While I too get where your coming from
As it does seem like their now using things like CWT and stuff against us it won’t work.

The biologist use cwt, test fishing data, guide log books, in river escapements.creel surveys. If we give them improper data in the survey they will just consider it data deficient and guess based on Their other data or make up silly models.

Most areas already think DFO is over estimating the sport catch. Or overestimating what stocks get caught where. The less data they have the more they will over estimate it. That’s why Guide’s in my area are begging to carry kits and prove where the stocks are getting caught.

I got one that will be for all of next years recorded catch. Something I totally support! Should be a condition of all renewals!

I got picked for May and I'm diligently filling it out. One major oversight by the survey seems to be no place to record over slot wild chinook. That's one of the most important aspects of the survey IMHO and as far as I can tell it does not collect that data.

Your saying he doesn’t have a valid fear that DFO doesn’t have sport fisherman’s back?

Whether he is right or wrong, your the one showing pure ignorance.

And this is yet another example of why the sporties cannot unite and make effective change, because they spend too much time fighting each other over mundane topics and senseless finger pointing at each other.

As for me, I fill out the surveys. Until some credible person shows concrete and substantive proof that the surveys are being used to restrict fishing opportunities then it is just FUD otherwise.

The low hanging fruit here is is that you don't know the difference between "your" and "you're."

But there's no grand conspiracy that DFO is out to shut down sport fishing. None. It's absolutely absurd to even suggest it.

Properly managing a fishery means that there needs to be input in to what fish are being caught where. That means anglers filling out this survey helps plan and manage a fishery.

Do your part, fill out the survey. I was selected for April and May, I've been keeping notes and will be submitting my survey.

You lost me when you tried use grammar to prove your point/discredit my point. You spend too much time following douches on twitter by the look of it. Such an old, sad tactic.

DFO is clearly political, I never said the surveys will be used against us, but I did say that a sportie is fair if he assumes DFO can’t be trusted.

It's absolutely absurd to suggest that DFO is out to shut down sport fishing.

This survey is about properly planning and managing the fishery.

Properly planning and managing the fishery? Shows your lack of understanding of how DFO misuses survey data, fails to properly account for survey bias, survey uncertainty and massive error range. Then DFO sportfishing harvest/exploitation models amplify the issues with their own unsupported biases and assumptions. The manner in which DFO uses survey data, given its quality/reliability is the statistical equivalent of guessing. If you aren’t aware of that you shouldn’t be commenting on this subject matter as though you know what you’re talking about.

Cheers!

Ukee

You lost me when you tried use grammar to prove your point/discredit my point. You spend too much time following douches on twitter by the look of it. Such an old, sad tactic.

DFO is clearly political, I never said the surveys will be used against us, but I did say that a sportie is fair if he assumes DFO can’t be trusted.

Can you substantiate why you feel that DFO can’t be trusted? I’m not trying to argue your position, I’m trying to understand.

Wow I got selected for February and now selected for June! First time ever being selected twice in a year!!

Back