Chinook Salmon closures and restrictions ahead

Unreel

Announced today, for those who don't believe closures or restrictions are coming.

https://www.canada.ca/en/fisheries-...-protect-southern-resident-killer-whales.html
"Fishery closures for recreational finfish and commercial salmon fisheries in portions of the Strait of Juan de Fuca and portions of the Gulf Islands, and partial closures in the mouth of the Fraser River will protect key foraging areas for these whales. Additional measures to achieve Chinook fishery reductions across the B.C. coast includes reduced harvest limits, size limits and time restrictions, and select area closures to protect wild Chinook stocks of concern."

Thanks DFO and all the Environmental Groups for once again doing nothing to give me any confidence that things will improve as a result of all the sacrifices being made by all recreational and commercial fishermen.

Thanks DFO and all the Environmental Groups for once again doing nothing to give me any confidence that things will improve as a result of all the sacrifices being made by all recreational and commercial fishermen.

Interesting comment Profisher.
The last paragraph, said:
''Earlier today, Minister LeBlanc also announced over $9.5 million in funding under the Oceans Protection Plan for eight projects across British Columbia that will help restore habitat for Chinook salmon in several areas of the province. These projects will help rehabilitate some of our most vulnerable coastlines by collaborating with partners.''

If that does not work for you, I am curious, what do you suggest?

The last paragraph, said: ''Earlier today, Minister LeBlanc also announced over $9.5 million in funding under the Oceans Protection Plan for eight projects across British Columbia that will help restore habitat for Chinook salmon in several areas of the province. These projects will help rehabilitate some of our most vulnerable coastlines by collaborating with partners.'' If that does not work for you, I am curious, what do you suggest?

Clearly the only hope for the west coast chinook (and coho) is habitat restoration, and that part of the announcement is a good thing. However $9.5 Million seems like a tiny amount of money for such an undertaking considering the state of many watersheds, and considering the money spent by the feds on East coast fisheries. With the runs declining so precipitously, I don't think there is much alternative to reductions in take. Sport fisherman take about 50% of the chinook catch, and of that catch about half is from the south coast, so there is no way sport fisherman, esp in the south coast can be spared. To get reductions it will mean more restrictions on daily limits and possibly size limits. There are lots of rumours on other threads on what those restrictions will be, but we will see the actual regulations very soon with the lodge seasons opening up now.

Clearly the only hope for the west coast chinook (and coho) is habitat restoration, and that part of the announcement is a good thing. However $9.5 Million seems like a tiny amount of money for such an undertaking considering the state of many watersheds, and considering the money spent by the feds on East coast fisheries. With the runs declining so precipitously, I don't think there is much alternative to reductions in take. Sport fisherman take about 50% of the chinook catch, and of that catch about half is from the south coast, so there is no way sport fisherman, esp in the south coast can be spared. To get reductions it will mean more restrictions on daily limits and possibly size limits. There are lots of rumours on other threads on what those restrictions will be, but we will see the actual regulations very soon with the lodge seasons opening up now.

The last paragraph, said:
''Earlier today, Minister LeBlanc also announced over $9.5 million in funding under the Oceans Protection Plan for eight projects across British Columbia that will help restore habitat for Chinook salmon in several areas of the province. These projects will help rehabilitate some of our most vulnerable coastlines by collaborating with partners.''

If that does not work for you, I am curious, what do you suggest?

$9.5 million is a joke !
The gov't pisses that much away every 10 minutes.
how about $95 million ?

9.5 is a drop in th bucket compared to what we need to get things going in the right direction.

Was at a meeting the other day and a gentleman I was taking with said he was fishing a water shed in WA a while back, one of the scientists that was working there told him they just dumped $660 million in that water shed

This is the type of backing we need to get our systems back in order.

Making more fish instead of fighting over what’s left

Can hardly wait to see the areas that are going to be closed. I assume it’s the ones the ecotourism industry were pushing for?

Yep, 9.5 million is a joke. Not saying its chump change..as it would be a nice looking number if it were in my personal bank account and would last me a few lifetimes...but as far as a fix for west coast Chinook habitat..that could be spent in a week.

Fin..you are wrong because in 5 years they will be knocking at the door again...still declining and need another 35% reduction from the 1% we will be taking after this years cuts. How are Thompson Coho doing after 20 years of fishing restrictions and no money spent on a constructive recovery plan? There needs to be a public campaign to expose what is going on. Forget the courts..go for the court of public opinion. The recreational and commercial sectors need to move ahead with a self funded professional produced 1 hour documentary outlining all the issues and consequences to keystone wildlife if salmon continue to decline. This should include the use of drones equipped with infrared cameras to conduct surveillance of the illegal poaching going on up and down the Fraser. Expose the truth...that is all we as a group have to do to win the public...and the politicians will have to follow or be elected out. The greens would suffer a major public credibility blow as well...an added bonus.

You nailed that Profisher ........
Pathetic.
Continuation of turning a blind eye on the real issues ....... They continue to manage to ZERO

Back